PIP-4048MS and PIP-5048MS inverters

non-EV Solar, Wind and other renewable power sources
non-EV batteries and other energy storage stuff
Forum rules
Important!
This forum is for discussion of Non-EV matters.
weber
Site Admin

PIP-4048MS inverter

Post by weber » Tue, 22 Dec 2015, 04:04

If it's in aircon you can ignore temperature and just use a fixed IR.
PlanB wrote:I was going to declare the pack fully charged when it hits 58.4v
That would certainly guarantee it was full since it corresponds to 3.65 V per cell. But in general you don't need to go that high. Reasons not to go that high are to increase the life of the cells and to avoid any cells going to the destructive 4.3 V if they are not well balanced. How are they balanced? If you're using EV-power CMUs then you will need to go to that high for them to do any balancing.
at the end of the first cycle then coulomb count from there to get SOC for any given 24 hr period.
Coulomb counters will drift. You should reset it to 100% every time it goes to 58.4 V. But I assume that usually only happens once a day anyway.

Coulomb counting is the only way to give the user any idea of the SoC when it is between 40% and 95%. But using the coulomb counter to protect the cells from overdischarge is a bad idea, due to the aforementioned drift, and the cell capacity will reduce over time. Protection should be based on voltage (preferably estimated open circuit voltage). If you're happy to let the cells go down to an average of 5% SoC (which means if there is a +-5% variation in cell capacity, some will be at 0% and others at 10%) then you can just use measured voltage, as you can with your high 100% voltage, because you're so far down the steep part of the curve.

But if you want to prevent cells from regularly going any lower than 20% SoC then you will need to compensate the voltage for current times IR, and compensate the IR for temperature.
What would be really nice would be an equation for those cell voltage vs %capacity graphs.
It's in Weng, Sun and Peng, the first reference I gave above.
http://www-personal.umich.edu/~hpeng/DSCC2013_Weng.pdf
Table 1 equation 6 combined with Table 3 right column.
Have you noticed how the basic curve shape remains constant even though the graph bounces up & down with temperature, discharge rate, etc? If we knew the line equation we could just use dV/d% to infer SOC from rate of change of pack voltage.

An interesting idea. You can see this plotted in Lu, the second reference I gave above.
http://www.cse.anl.gov/us-china-worksho ... %20BMS.pdf
Left hand graph on page 12.

One look at that graph should convince you that this is useless for detecting anything other than > 100% and < 10%. It is constant in the range 20% to 40% and has the same value in this range as it has in the ranges 75% to 78% and 99% to 100%.
Last edited by weber on Mon, 21 Dec 2015, 17:09, edited 1 time in total.
One of the fathers of MeXy the electric MX-5, along with Coulomb and Newton (Jeff Owen).

offgridQLD

PIP-4048MS inverter

Post by offgridQLD » Tue, 22 Dec 2015, 13:27

Capacity loss over time is something I haven't accounted for in my personal offgrid lithium system. I have LVD at cell level. Though I was thinking the other day my little capacity display that resets to 400ah - 100% SOC each time I reach float starts to have less credibility as the years go on.

That said I never did a full capacity sweep in the beginning so who knows if the cells were over 400Ah new at low C discharge rates.

Would be nice if there was a formula you could use to even roughly predict capacity loss using averages, temp, cycles and so on.

Kurt

baal
Noobie

PIP-4048MS inverter

Post by baal » Wed, 23 Dec 2015, 05:28

now again looking at my battery situation ...
I picked up my batteries second hand at $40 each they are powerware VRLA battery PWHR12280W4FR with a float voltage of 13.5 - 13.8V , which were used in some big ups for a hospital and changed at 3years regardless of condition so i figured i would pick the ones that had the highest voltage under load and bought 8 out of the 30 odd they had there thinking that they still had plenty of life left in them, and with a battery tester they all seemed to hold a respectable voltage under test load, so i thought they will do for the moment, i currently have 8 in total hooked up two sets of 4 in series at around 54 Volts ,

I have been running a couple of the desulfator devices found on ebay and im not sure if they really do anything but some of the advertising where they showed battery cells from a battery before and after and it looked impressive and for only $50 thought i would give them a go.

i calculate i have 4 batteries in series so Ah is the same as the battery about 75Ah plus another 75Ah in the other set of 4 so in parallel so about 150Ah at 52Volts, sound right ?
never really understood what that is suppose to mean i can pull one amp for 150hours ? thus 15amps theoretically for 10hrs ( that would be great ), no that cant be right cause i get maybe an hour out of them at 15Amps if its been a good solar day.

mind you it does not last long when you pull 15amps to run the ac which pulls ~800W on the inverter hmm thinking about the numbers the batteries must be nackered 15amps for 1hr is 15ah from what suppose to be 150ah , oh well they lasted 2 years for $350 thats no so bad.

New battery time ...
Ggoing 6 volt so all in series, 4 on each side of the van, mind you its 230kg of weight but on my 30ft caravan thats only a small part of the 3500kg capacity, but you have to think about that too, i built battery boxes just behind the axles on each side which seemed the best place for the weight.

What do people think about these Crown 225 batteries ?
http://www.ktbattery.com/components/com ... CR-225.pdf

8 batteries at about $200 a battery $1600

6volt x8 = 48V
225Ah at c20
and the bit i like the most is they are about the same size as the old ones so should fit in my boxes ( i hope )

lithium batteries would be great if i could afford them but i may have to wait till i find some really cheap .

Battery balance ..
after some reading of posts here in particular the ones about the lithium battery system, i concluded that i need to implement some battery balance system for the 8 batteries, perhaps some system that I can use again in the future on a lithium system would be great. Ideally I would really like to have some computer integration on the system to monitor the batteries so as to perhaps be able to remote view and control the system down the track, suggestions for battery balance solutions are very welcome .

I was looking at some basic battery balance systems like this one on ebay http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/251906187493 which may do the job but does not really give me any remote data but maybe a good short term solution, even after extensive searching i am struggling to find some kind of battery bank management system, perhaps i have to build one from scratch, was thinking with the battery balancer from ebay i could hack them sending the led signals to a basic data capture device with a usb interface to monitor data on the computer.

there is also this battery balancer ( http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/26213462072 ) but it does not have any leds which makes me think how would you even know its working .

Surely theres a device out there that can monitor all the batteries and send the data to a computer with relative ease, perhaps an adrino project, I guess if its not ridiculously expensive why re-invent the wheel.

sorry for the thesis :) ( and the bad spelling )

Sean
To see a World in a Grain of Sand And a Heaven in a Wild Flower, Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand And Eternity in an hour. - William Blake

baal
Noobie

PIP-4048MS inverter

Post by baal » Wed, 23 Dec 2015, 05:51

on the battery topic ..

while the size is going to mean new battery boxes which is no big deal, what are peoples thoughts on going with 4 bigger 12v batteres like these

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/4WD-SOLAR-WI ... SwYHxWHGNv

260Ah at c20
$450 x 4 $1800
63kg a battery gees im going to need a forklift to lift them .
4 would be(250kg)

10 year design life sounds good to me
To see a World in a Grain of Sand And a Heaven in a Wild Flower, Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand And Eternity in an hour. - William Blake

weber
Site Admin

PIP-4048MS inverter

Post by weber » Wed, 23 Dec 2015, 14:31

baal wrote: on the battery topic ..

Hi Sean, I see that I made a mistake in responding to PlanB's battery questions in this thread, which is really about a specific inverter, which is already somewhat off-topic for this electric vehicle forum. I should have started a new thread, and may yet do so. But in my defence, it was, at least indirectly, about designing software that communicates with PIP inverters.

There are probably other forums where you will find people who are far more knowledgeable about lead-acid batteries for campers.

There are at least two open source BMS projects on this forum, that you should be able to find using the search. The one used in the Black Monolith is called "LyteFyba". But they are not suitable for lead-acid due to its lower cell voltage. However you could possibly redesign them to work with lead-acid.
One of the fathers of MeXy the electric MX-5, along with Coulomb and Newton (Jeff Owen).

PlanB

PIP-4048MS inverter

Post by PlanB » Wed, 23 Dec 2015, 17:59

Didn't feel like a mistake to me, I can use all the battery input I can get

paulvk
Groupie

PIP-4048MS inverter

Post by paulvk » Thu, 24 Dec 2015, 01:34

Those CR225 batteries are the crown type of the Trojan T105s they are 225Ah most people seem to think the American made Trojan are the best ones
I will find out over time with my 8 T105s but people I have spoken to who have off grid systems and Trojan T105s have had them for 10years or more.
As I said if you go for flooded look into the watering system which allows you to fill all batteries with a hand pump at the same time to the correct level.
Here is a link http://www.trojanbattery.com/products/h ... ng-system/
It is made by Flowrite https://flow-rite.com/battery-watering

The Trojan T105s are 28Kg each
My installation with the 8 x T105 and the PIP-4048 inverter seems to be working well running my house.
After 3 months I have not had to add water I had a look today, all the indicators show full.

The sealed Lead acid batteries do not cope as well as flooded types with higher current outputs I would not want to try and get more than 20amps from those you posted for a long period.

Yes you really need to keep an eye on you weights as some states are being aggressive about overloading
Last edited by paulvk on Wed, 23 Dec 2015, 14:45, edited 1 time in total.

baal
Noobie

PIP-4048MS inverter

Post by baal » Thu, 24 Dec 2015, 01:36

weber wrote:
baal wrote: on the battery topic ..

Hi Sean, I see that I made a mistake in responding to PlanB's battery questions in this thread, which is really about a specific inverter, which is already somewhat off-topic for this electric vehicle forum. I should have started a new thread, and may yet do so. But in my defence, it was, at least indirectly, about designing software that communicates with PIP inverters.

There are probably other forums where you will find people who are far more knowledgeable about lead-acid batteries for campers.

its related to the same inverter thats got to count surely.

so umm your giving me the polite boot to go somewhere else already ? :(

on the electric vehicle topic then, are you using the pip-4048 in electric cars ?
can you get a 2 ton nissan patrol 4wd to run on an electric motor ?

ciao
Sean

weber
Site Admin

PIP-4048MS inverter

Post by weber » Thu, 24 Dec 2015, 02:51

My apologies Sean. Not giving you the boot at all. You are most welcome here. I was just thinking of people in future, who will come here looking for info on the PIP-4048MS, and like yourself will read through the whole thread, which is already very long, and will have to wade through both yours and my long posts re batteries, for which we probably should have started new threads.

And independent of that, I didn't think we were going to be of much use to you on that specific question, because I though most contributors to this thread were of the Lithium persuasion. But I'm glad that Paulvk has come through for you.

coulomb
Site Admin

PIP-4048MS inverter

Post by coulomb » Sun, 27 Dec 2015, 16:32

coulomb wrote:
Scott wrote: The inverter ships with the same RJ45 to DB9 connector, as well as a USB A-B cable.

So what's the USB port for?

I've since read that the USB port is a very basic one with poor support for operating systems other than windows. For example:
http://powerforum.co.za/topic/290-axper ... #entry2459

But it should work with Windows, saving the need to use a USB to serial adapter. The new PIP MS (Axpert MKS 5KVA etc) models seem to come with both RS232 (using an RJ-45 socket) and USB, so nothing is lost.

[ Edit July 2017: But it seems that the USB port can only be used for monitoring / commands; it sadly can't be used for firmware updating, at least with presently available firmware updating software. ]

Some other models seem to come with USB only. They may have trouble on operating systems other than Windows.
Last edited by coulomb on Mon, 17 Jul 2017, 08:06, edited 1 time in total.
Nissan Leaf 2012 with new battery May 2019.
5650 W solar, PIP-4048MS inverter, 16 kWh battery.
1.4 kW solar with 1.2 kW Latronics inverter and FIT.
160 W solar, 2.5 kWh 24 V battery for lights.
Patching PIP-4048/5048 inverter-chargers.

coulomb
Site Admin

PIP-4048MS inverter

Post by coulomb » Sun, 27 Dec 2015, 17:01

Now that the firmware is sorted, I ordered my PIP-4048. The order was placed about 5pm Tuesday 22nd Dec, a few days before Christmas. Estimated delivery date: Wed. 30 Dec. - Tue. 5 Jan. So that's 1-2 weeks delivery, not too bad over the Christmas break.

But on Christmas day, my wife handed me a "sorry we missed you" card from Toll. I wondered what it was for; couldn't be the inverter already. But when I checked the consignment note number, it was! And the card was from just after noon the previous day, Christmas eve!

I only received confirmation of dispatch just after 2pm Wed 23rd December. So either they are very fast at delivering from Taiwan to Sydney, and slow to send the dispatch confirmation, or they have stock in Sydney (the Toll Priority tracking information started with "freight pickup" from "Sydney bulk" just after 4pm on the 23rd).

Or someone stuffed up the delivery. I won't know till Wednesday 30th December when they hopefully attempt a re-delivery.

The Ebay listing (I ordered from Ebay seller maximum_solar) states "Item location: TW Taiwan".

offgridQLD

PIP-4048MS inverter

Post by offgridQLD » Sun, 27 Dec 2015, 18:49

They got the one I order very fast within 3 days of ordering and was surprised.

Your looking at a 9hr flight to Sydney. Then If it got pushed through customs quick and was kept rolling I guess its not impossible but this time of year it would be lucky.

Lets say they where selling a reasonable amount of them in AU then the smart idea for them would be to send a bulk lot by slow boat. Then charge the $100 Airmail cost from Taiwan. Cheeky but in the end you get your product just the same.

coulomb
Site Admin

PIP-4048MS inverter

Post by coulomb » Sun, 27 Dec 2015, 19:28

offgridQLD wrote: They got the one I order very fast within 3 days of ordering and was surprised.
Wow.
Lets say they where selling a reasonable amount of them in AU then the smart idea for them would be to send a bulk lot by slow boat. Then charge the $100 Airmail cost from Taiwan.

Yes. Maybe they use Giant Power and other resellers to stock the Ebay models as well in their warehouses.
Cheeky but in the end you get your product just the same.
Except quicker.

And maybe not quite the same; I bet I missed out on the latest hardware update:

From the Voltronic Power Axpert MKS 1KVA-5KVA Inverter page (Specifications tab).

It might come with more recent firmware. I'm always interested in firmware Image

There could well be more Brisbane sales soon, so that might flush out the old stock, if there is any.

[ Edit: Circled 4000W as well as the other 2 numbers. ]
Last edited by coulomb on Sun, 27 Dec 2015, 08:32, edited 1 time in total.

offgridQLD

PIP-4048MS inverter

Post by offgridQLD » Sun, 27 Dec 2015, 21:31

Coulomb,
        It will be interesting to see how the unit performs without the large heat sink up top. From the inside view pic (on the ebay listing) it looks like the MPPT controller is in the same position as the old units up top and perhaps it's just a thin strip of aluminum up plate up top. Though I am thinking perhaps they could have just mixed and matched generic pics on the ebay listing as that's how the old units look from the inside.

Is your plan to run your home completely from the PIP or just some loads ?

Kurt

coulomb
Site Admin

PIP-4048MS inverter

Post by coulomb » Sun, 27 Dec 2015, 23:41

offgridQLD wrote:
Is your plan to run your home completely from the PIP or just some loads ?

I plan to run everything except three large loads:
* electric oven
* ducted air conditioning, about 12 A when compressing, and about 80 A (!) of start current
* 15 A welder/EV charger outlet. I don't have an EV yet, but I'd like to be able to slow charge one during the day, so I might put another 15 A socket on the inverter.

There is another air conditioner, a small Fujitsu efficient one, that will go on the inverter. I'll probably phase out my 24 V DC lights over time.
Last edited by coulomb on Sun, 27 Dec 2015, 12:42, edited 1 time in total.

solamahn
Groupie

PIP-4048MS inverter

Post by solamahn » Mon, 28 Dec 2015, 00:02

Should have bought 2 4048's
Solamahn PNG

Monkeytom
Groupie

PIP-4048MS inverter

Post by Monkeytom » Mon, 28 Dec 2015, 01:30

I bought 16 x T105 china copies from batteryguru in Sydney they were $120 ea delivered to the Gold Coast. I use them on my PIP4048HS and they work great 21KWH for $1920 time will tell, we will see?
I see they have some tubular plate t105 type in Melb could ve worth a look
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Melb-6V-225A ... SwHPlWeNxf

[ Edited Coulomb: make link clickable ]
Last edited by coulomb on Sun, 27 Dec 2015, 16:43, edited 1 time in total.
2 x PIP4048HS
15S2Px3 45x90Ah TS and
45x100Ah CALB
With 6Kw Solar Offgrid
6x175W BP 1Kw Si Offgrid
28x60W Thin film Offgrid
18x185W 2Kw Si Offgrid
72x82W gridtied CMS2000 2kw north,2Kw East,2Kw west.

solamahn
Groupie

PIP-4048MS inverter

Post by solamahn » Wed, 30 Dec 2015, 15:36

I am having a problem connecting generators to 4048's running 52.30 and 72.40. Works with mains connection but not with generator. I thing 52.25 works but then the fans will run too fast. I will try 52.25 again to confirm. Generators always work with 812, 1624, 2424 and 2448 but not 3248 and 4048 but they have worked in the past. Any ideas?
Solamahn PNG

weber
Site Admin

PIP-4048MS inverter

Post by weber » Wed, 30 Dec 2015, 15:56

solamahn wrote: I am having a problem connecting generators to 4048's running 52.30 and 72.40. Works with mains connection but not with generator. I thing 52.25 works but then the fans will run too fast. I will try 52.25 again to confirm. Generators always work with 812, 1624, 2424 and 2448 but not 3248 and 4048 but they have worked in the past. Any ideas?

Make sure parameter 3 is set to APL.

solamahn
Groupie

PIP-4048MS inverter

Post by solamahn » Wed, 30 Dec 2015, 16:04

Yes. Did that
Solamahn PNG

coulomb
Site Admin

PIP-4048MS inverter

Post by coulomb » Wed, 30 Dec 2015, 23:11

solamahn wrote: I am having a problem connecting generators to 4048's running 52.30 and 72.40. ... Any ideas?

Huh. Looks like I didn't solve my Christmas puzzle properly then:

http://powerforum.co.za/topic/282-porta ... #entry4570

I'll focus more on how the AC input "quality" is assessed. Last time I looked, I didn't really definitively settle it.

solamahn
Groupie

PIP-4048MS inverter

Post by solamahn » Wed, 30 Dec 2015, 23:20

I will try 52.25 and 72.40 to see if they work.
Solamahn PNG

coulomb
Site Admin

PIP-4048MS inverter

Post by coulomb » Thu, 31 Dec 2015, 00:09

coulomb wrote: So either they are very fast at delivering from Taiwan to Sydney, and slow to send the dispatch confirmation, or they have stock in Sydney (the Toll Priority tracking information started with "freight pickup" from "Sydney bulk" just after 4pm on the 23rd).
Well, I have the inverter now. It came from "Winit Au Trade, Dock 1, Regents Park NSW". Aha! A Dock! So it did come from... China. Yes, designed in Taiwan, but made in China. (A sticker on the box says made in China.)

But when I look up Regents Park, it's in Western Sydney. Nowhere even a river, let alone the Pacific Ocean. It might be an importer, or a warehousing company, or something else.

The box:

Image     Image

It has a USB cable, as well as an RJ-45 to serial cable. There is a CD with WatchPower 1.07, a paper manual (version 1.06 of the manual), and the box. The box is 460 x 300 x 120 mm (rounding up). The top is smooth; no heatsink there. No 80 A solar charging.

When I power it up, I get the first surprise:

The firmware hasn't been updated for a while. Well, that's good; I don't need to patch anything newer. Now to look inside.

Image     Image

To anyone familiar with the 2013 and 2014 models, this is quite different. The Solar Charge Controller (SCC) is now distributed along the top end of the case (the two inductors), and down the middle between the two main heatsinks. One gets the impression that these SCC heatsinks run the full length of the SCC printed circuit board, but that can't be the case. In the earlier models, this is where the large (55 x 55 x 75 mm tall) transformer is located, along with two quite large capacitors and four smaller ones. They've really packed it in there. This makes me really wonder how the triple SCC version fits everything in! (I think the main trick is a deeper case, perhaps 194 mm deep). You can see the rounded top in the second photo above.

I couldn't get a good photo of the heatsinks without taking out a fan. I decided I wanted to try the original fans merely turned around to blow upwards (they still blow downwards as supplied). I'll follow up with a post on the "fan rectification" soon. So here is a view with one fan removed:

Image     Image
So basically, both fans face pretty much packed heatsinks. In this last photo, you can see what I believe are the SCC FETs.

[ Edit 1: large inductor -> large transformer; SCC heatsinks likely don't extend full length ]
Last edited by coulomb on Wed, 30 Dec 2015, 17:38, edited 1 time in total.

weber
Site Admin

PIP-4048MS inverter

Post by weber » Thu, 31 Dec 2015, 00:43

Fascinating. Thanks Coulomb.

offgridQLD

PIP-4048MS inverter

Post by offgridQLD » Thu, 31 Dec 2015, 03:02

That sure solves a few things I was wondering about regarding the SCC layout.

I'm not sure if I like the new layout or not. I kind of don't know why they did it? Perhaps to so they can loose the fly wire and stand off that was often not tight. Edit: Now I see the pic on my pc I see they still use the two long fly wires for the SCC.

Though the SCC heat sink could perhaps be heating the inverter components? I guess the direct fans on the sinks should stop that.

Thanks for the pics .

Kurt
Last edited by offgridQLD on Thu, 31 Dec 2015, 05:12, edited 1 time in total.