BP Pulse

Discussion about EV/Battery charging infrastructure, Electric highways etc.
drlizau

BP Pulse

Post by drlizau »

It appears that BP is the next to see that sales of Petroleum, even if not British, are going to come to an end.
https://www.drive.com.au/caradvice/inte ... australia/

So BP will have electricity for sale, and the new kid on the block, hydrogen. No talk about biodiesel, which would have a market if the supply was regular.
2017 Leaf 30kWh battery
2nd hand Japanese import
Solar powered as much as practical
philupandgo
Groupie

Re: BP Pulse

Post by philupandgo »

Old servos will come into their own once they are ZEV only sites. It is great to see them on the path.
Nagaman

Post by Nagaman »

In France I believe all car parks now have to be covered with PV roofing.
drlizau

Post by drlizau »

Actually saw a BP Pulse place today. ChaDeMo + CCS/SAE. Plugshare says its not working, but I had no evidence either way, as we were in the ICE vehicle :oops:
Apparently the one over the road is working, this was Marulan NSW.
Yet Another App (YAP) to start charge.
2017 Leaf 30kWh battery
2nd hand Japanese import
brunohill

Post by brunohill »

Do they work with an EVIE RFID card? I see it says it is supported by the EVIE network. Apps can be a problem with regional chargers as not all networks have coverage at all chargers sites.
It would be a good idea to put (free) WiFi at the charger sites then you may be guaranteed that you can download the App and use it. I don't have mobile phone coverage from any network where I live.
Also if you have a number of people use the car, or you lend it to someone, it easier just to tell them to plug in the charger, get the card for that network from the glove box and swipe it. It is a lot easier than setting up their own account just for one charge.
drlizau

Post by drlizau »

I'll try to remember to check the one on the way home, see just what it says, and so on.
2017 Leaf 30kWh battery
2nd hand Japanese import
coulomb
Site Admin

Post by coulomb »

There is one just opened 10 km from home, in Larapinta (6km by foot; done it as a group dog walk). Free for a short time (a Christmas present!), and there is a week of rain 🌧️ coming up. I might as well learn the ropes when one of my EVs is running low. I've downloaded the Yet Another App™ and registered. It's not clear how to pay yet, for when the time comes. If I remember, I'll try my Evie card first.
MG ZS EV 2021 April 2021. Nissan Leaf 2012 with new battery May 2019.
5650 W solar, 2xPIP-4048MS inverters, 16 kWh battery.
Patching PIP-4048/5048 inverter-chargers.
If you appreciate my work, you can buy me a coffee.
philupandgo
Groupie

Post by philupandgo »

brunohill wrote: Sat, 24 Dec 2022, 21:55 Do they work with an EVIE RFID card?
I have a Chargefox RFID card which works fine on the Evie network, once the card number is registered to the Evie account. I should think that even if BP Pulse doesn't have a relationship with other networks, it should work once the card is registered. Afterall, RFID at heart is just a number. However, best to try it out before needing it.
drlizau

Post by drlizau »

https://imgur.com/gallery/o8Tocb2
this is my quick shot of the charger this morning.
I didn't see where an RFID card might get used.

So It's one of these
https://tritiumcharging.com/tritium-unv ... -platform/
2017 Leaf 30kWh battery
2nd hand Japanese import
brunohill

Post by brunohill »

I might have to go into the BP service station and ask them to ring the 1300 number for me. They don't have to download an App to buy petrol. Maybe I could pay cash, I believe it is still legal tender.
sleeperpservice
Groupie

Post by sleeperpservice »

The RFID reader is where the instructions sticker is on the same type but chargefox managed charger I have used.

Maybe something related to this confusing FAQ that linked from the bp pulse site about evie networks?

Apple pay not supported on rfid cards anymore. They say only CC supported in app but then go onto say you can use Apple pay through the app.

Just setup an EFTPOS reader on there ffs. If you can do it on parking meters for $4 parking charges why not here.

https://support.goevie.com.au/hc/en-us/ ... rk-anymore
coulomb
Site Admin

Post by coulomb »

sleeperpservice wrote: Wed, 28 Dec 2022, 06:53 They say only CC supported in app but then go onto say you can use Apple pay through the app.
Maybe you can add Apple Pay AND a credit card, with Apple Pay as preferred. So then if you are in an area with no mobile coverage, you can still use your Evie card and it will get charged through the credit card. For hopefully the majority of the time, you can just swipe with your phone and get charged through Apple Pay.
coulomb
Site Admin

Post by coulomb »

I've just been reading on Wikipedia that BP Pulse started off as ChargeMaster, then Polar, was bought out by BP, and is now branded BP Pulse. It sounds like the majority of BP Pulse chargers are actually Chargemasters made in the UK. Perhaps shipping from the UK to Australia, or the cost of setting up local support, makes it more attractive to use Tritiums.
coulomb
Site Admin

Post by coulomb »

The MG got used a bit today; unusually, not by me. It came back late afternoon, and tomorrow has a 30% chance of rain. Perfect conditions for testing the BP Pulse charger at Larapinta. Although it concerned me a little that there had already been 5 charges logged on Plugshare today. It's only 9 km from home, so no big deal, but both positions were available when I got there.

I found a bug on the CCS side; no bugs on the CHAdeMO side:

CCS bug.jpg
CCS bug.jpg (152.7 KiB) Viewed 485 times
I could not start the charge with either my Evie or Chargefox cards; it had to be the app. Fortunately, mobile reception was excellent there. It took a few goes to get the charge started, but next time it will be much easier. The charge cord is really heavy and thick, it's like they fill it with water or something ;) The site is also a labyrinth of faded, confusing one-way signs, and the entrance is the second turn-off on the roundabout. There is a MacDonalds there, closer than the BP servo and shop.

MG charging at Larapinta.jpg
MG charging at Larapinta.jpg (197.14 KiB) Viewed 485 times
Edit: It's just after 9pm and there is another Tesla charging there, for a total 6 so far today. Free charging is popular!
philupandgo
Groupie

Post by philupandgo »

Glad you were able to resolve the bug. Back when computers had valves, this was the sort of bug they had to contend with. And so began the data processing culture of learning to live with them.