EV at Car Event

Open for any sort of non-technical discussion regarding EVs
drlizau

EV at Car Event

Post by drlizau »

I've driven before in this event, my town's celebration of car culture https://griffithsbiggestlap.com.au/2019 ... pectators/ but this time I was able to take the Leaf. Very interesting to hear some of the comments "that car's the best" or"rev it up!"

I think as a demo of an EV in real use, it was great, because it can cruise and it can accelerate, just like the others. It doesn't overheat nor produce noxious fumes, unlike the others.
As this event is full of rev heads and petrol heads (349 of them driving) and only one silent car (mine) it was very encouraging to find the crowd accepting of an EV in the parade.
2017 Leaf 30kWh battery
2nd hand Japanese import
Solar powered as much as practical
jonescg

Re: EV at Car Event

Post by jonescg »

Reassuring to hear! A friend of mine had an environment themed float at the Apple and Grape festival in Stanthorpe and it was towed by an EV. They won best in class 👏.
AEVA National President, WA branch director.
brunohill

Post by brunohill »

I would really love to take an EV ute to the Deni Ute Muster.
I wonder if my wife would let me buy a Rivian?
drlizau

Post by drlizau »

Two questions here....
Of course taking an electric ute to Deni would open many people's eyes to the possibility of an electric ute. A company like ROEV may already be planning that sort of an activity.
Secondly, getting permission from the Ministry of Finance for a Rivian? The answer is "it depends".
2017 Leaf 30kWh battery
2nd hand Japanese import
Nagaman

Post by Nagaman »

Are Rivian chargers generic or unique?
I thought they had their own ……or are there two points?
drlizau

Post by drlizau »

My search engine tells me that the Level 1 and Level 2 Rivian chargers use J1772 and the Rivian fast chargers CCS.
https://rivian.com/experience/charging
2017 Leaf 30kWh battery
2nd hand Japanese import
Scotty T
Groupie

Post by Scotty T »

brunohill wrote: Sat, 01 Oct 2022, 21:25 I would really love to take an EV ute to the Deni Ute Muster.
I wonder if my wife would let me buy a Rivian?
I can only imagine showing up in this, wearing a purple cowboy outfit.

viewtopic.php?t=7596

When the BMW is done I am thinking of Summernats Go to whoa, car should do pretty well at that.
Bryce

Post by Bryce »

As US uses Type 1 AC plugs (no three phase there) - all EVs there use Type 1 AC and therefore Type 1 CCS. (Except Nissan who doggedly stuck to CHAdeMO for the Leaf ... but are giving up with the Ariya ;-) )

Means Rivian will simply swap (like all the others) toType 2/CCS2 for three phase countries. (Europe, Australia and, well, most of the rest of the world actually ;-) )

Cheers
Bryce
drlizau wrote: Mon, 03 Oct 2022, 14:39 My search engine tells me that the Level 1 and Level 2 Rivian chargers use J1772 and the Rivian fast chargers CCS.
https://rivian.com/experience/charging
Current EV drive: 2019 Kona electric, 2010 iMiEV
Also in family: 2019 Renault Zoe
Past drives: 2011 Blade Getz, 2011 Leaf, 2001 Citroen Berlingo conversion
Past Conversions: DC Berlingo, AC Berlingo, AC Sprinter
T1 Terry

Post by T1 Terry »

Out there in the paddock trying to do circle work while the vehicle management system prevented wheel spin would be a difficult act :lol: The burn out comp at Summer Nats with drive on all 4 wheels with speed control on each wheel would be a sight to behold .... the co-driver working the speed controls while the driver worked the steering and brake to keep it off the walls, a line lock on one front wheel while the other three drove round and round on the spot smoking the tyres would make great figure 8 performances ..... and you could play a top fuel sound track as you came on and off the throttle, complete with gas fueled flames out exhaust pipes each side :lol:

T1 Terry
Green but want to learn