Charging failed

Renault EV Interest Group
doggy
Groupie

Charging failed

Post by doggy »

We still continue to love our Zoe. Would have preferred the DC charging and extra 75km range from the ZE50......but it's been great so far. Only issue was failure of the GPS antenna early this year.

Now we've got a new hiccup. Won't charge. I've tried 5 EVSEs and all do the same thing. Charge starts and after literally one second stops. After quite a few tries, the car says "Check charging Post". There are no errors I can see in DTCs and CanZE says the grid is NOT okay and zero power available. All leakage values check out (which I would expect from 4 totally different charging locations). So something wrong in the charger or associated ECU. I've tried different days, different temperatures. Different cables. After sitting. After driving. All to no avail. At least I was not up in the mountains or half way to Canberra....

In to Col Crawford tomorrow to hopefully fix this and do the second year service.I do not have high hopes of them fixing it same day because I doubt there is a huge level of expertise still. But the head office Renault honchos seem to know a thing or two so there'll undoubtedly be phone calls and emails buzzing around.

Cheers,
Dave

antiscab

Re: Charging failed

Post by antiscab »

Hi Dave,

I do know the Zoe is extra picky about the resistance to earth (likely because there's no isolation between mains and battery)
not normally an issue in winter (when the ground is damp and the resistance at it's lowest)

do lets us know how you go with Renault.

Matt
Matt
2017 Renault zoe - 25'000km
2007 vectrix - 156'000km
1998 prius - needs Batt
1999 Prius - needs batt
2000 prius - has 200 x headway 38120 cells

doggy
Groupie

Post by doggy »

Hi Matt, agreed. However it is not that upon this occasion.
Looking at CanZE, the car is seeing zero ohms ground to neutral and ground is good.
Same result at four localities.
Leakages are also all good.
So definitely something else.
Cheers,
Dave

doggy
Groupie

Post by doggy »

An update.
Things are not moving very quickly. Car has been in there yesterday and today.
yesterday they confirmed what I had reported and "had discussions with Renault".
Today, they are having more discussions with Renault and trying to decide what spare parts to request.
They are not even sure that they will be able today to decide which parts might be needed.
I suspect the fact that the car is not giving any diagnostics is not helping.
If they had some decent diagnostic equipment that could monitor what the control units are doing then that would surely make it easy. However I doubt the service people at Crawford's have such equipment and it is unlikely they would have great electronics/computer/logic skills to interpret what they saw.

I found something similar when I figured out with 99% certainly that my Zoe GPS antenna had an intermittent fault. It was first necessary to firmly convince them to replace it and also to get Renault to back down from telling Crawford's they would have to fork out $800 if the replacement antenna did not fix the problem. It DID fix the problem and has been rock solid for the 5 months since replacement.

Next update when I know more. So far this calendar year, the car has been in the service centre 7 days and I suspect it will be a couple more. Nothing like the 6wks a couple of folk have had to wait for new batteries to be shipped from France, but irritating all the same.
I jwould not like to have these problems out of warranty.

Regds,
Dave

antiscab

Post by antiscab »

I think once the cars are out of warranty, there will be somewhat more of a community effort in the same vein as gen 1 leaf and imiev
Matt
2017 Renault zoe - 25'000km
2007 vectrix - 156'000km
1998 prius - needs Batt
1999 Prius - needs batt
2000 prius - has 200 x headway 38120 cells

doggy
Groupie

Post by doggy »

Yes, I think you are right.
I, for one, will have no qualms kicking around the Canbus and the various modules post warranty.
I was just wondering the other day how the guy was going who feeds his Solar Panel DC straight to the battery via the spare under hood connector that goes the same path as the regen?
Early DC charging for Zoe!
Cheers,
Dave

jonescg

Post by jonescg »

The Zoe has a spare DC contact under the hood? Easy access for hacking!
AEVA National Secretary, WA branch chair.

brendon_m

Post by brendon_m »

Sounds to me like maybe the car can communicate with the evse and requests power but never receives it,
so it cancels the charge.
Possibly an open circuit in the 240V cables going into the charger / motor controller (or an open circuit inside the charger itself). The on board diagnostics would just assume there's a problem with the evse if it never gets the power it requests.

doggy
Groupie

Post by doggy »

Re the spare connector under the hood. The guy doing this is in Slovenia. He is charging direct from a string of panels. Has the car "On" and the charge appears as regen.

viewtopic.php?f=57&t=5738&p=75968&hilit ... d31#p75968

Home DC charging off grid! As the regen can go to 43kW, lots of potential. However you probably would not want to feed maximum 43kW for a long period of time and also that would be a big solar system.

Certainly not for me, at least while under warranty and probably not even after that as my solar system is Enphase (so all AC with one inverter per panel).

Cheers,
Dave

doggy
Groupie

Post by doggy »

Just had an update from Crawford's Motors.

The problem is beyond the expertise of Renault Australia and they have referred it to South Korea! When I queried why South Korea and not France, I was told that is their escalation path. Seems bizarre to me when they do not seem to sell the Zoe in Sth Korea. They do sell another BEV so maybe it is a Zoe lookalike and certainly far more have been sold there than in Australia.

Their best estimate of a fix date is three weeks.

They are offering me a loan car. Not particularly excited by this as last time we were given a large petrol driven machine that was very uneconomic and my wife did not want to drive because of the size.

So, they are checking what else they might have available. A small hybrid or worst case a small petrol car might do.

More as it comes to hand.

Dave

doggy
Groupie

Post by doggy »

The nightmare is growing.
The response from Korea was to replace 4 parts (ECUs of various sorts) and hope that fixes it. Parts ordered a week ago.
Although there are two fault codes, no-one seems able to relate these to the real world of what is under the bonnet.
Three are available and one has to come from France. No-one has any idea how long that will take. In normal times "two to three weeks".
I am concerned the battery is at 25% and not increasing. It should be 40-50% for storage.
I have complained to Renault Australia.
Regds,
Dave

brendon_m

Post by brendon_m »

Yuck. This is why we need more EVs. Once they are common, parts and experience will be easier to find.
I wish you luck, at least it appears to be under warranty.

jonescg

Post by jonescg »

Yet again, the dealership workshops are proving they simply don't have enough knowledgeable technicians, nor the motivation to get them.
Complain as loudly as you can to Renault Australia - EV customers deserve better.
AEVA National Secretary, WA branch chair.