Hypermiling in a Model 3

Tesla EVs Interest Group
Nagaman
Noobie

Hypermiling in a Model 3

Post by Nagaman » Tue, 03 Dec 2019, 18:40

Being retired we do a lot of ‘pottering around’ @ 80-90 kph and just wondering if anyone has done a max range test of any sort, particularly in the SR+ ?.

MrD
Groupie

Re: Hypermiling in a Model 3

Post by MrD » Wed, 04 Dec 2019, 09:17

In another forum "Lex" posted actual 350kM range in a SR+, two adults, 2 children with luggage at 90kph on a coastal drive. Of course, you should only 'Hypermile' when absolutely necessary (100% to 0%) and generally aim for 90% to 10% for battery health, contingencies (head winds, roadwork or other diversions) and stress free touring.
MrD-85-TSLA

Nagaman
Noobie

Post by Nagaman » Wed, 04 Dec 2019, 10:05

MrD wrote:
Wed, 04 Dec 2019, 09:17
In another forum "Lex" posted actual 350kM range in a SR+, two adults, 2 children with luggage at 90kph on a coastal drive. Of course, you should only 'Hypermile' when absolutely necessary (100% to 0%) and generally aim for 90% to 10% for battery health, contingencies (head winds, roadwork or other diversions) and stress free touring.
Thanks Chris, I’m more interested in the average WH/km rather than 100%-0% range.
One interesting (to me at least) example is a trip over the 6000 ft Mt Hotham with a relatively short, steep/slow windy climb and a faster, longer and straighter descent.
Is one direction better than the other for total range?.

mikedufty

Post by mikedufty » Wed, 04 Dec 2019, 12:13

In theory the steep climb - gentle descent should be better, since you are not wasting the power that went into gaining altitude on brakes/regen inefficiencies. Would be more interesting to hear from someone who has tried it though.
On the same theory on a bicycle I should put in max effort on the uphills and just coast down but I always do the opposite because it feels better.

MrD
Groupie

Post by MrD » Fri, 06 Dec 2019, 10:32

Hi Guys - I can confirm that a steep climb at gentle speed....then a long gradual descent works best for Hypermilling. My example is Hartley to Penrith (compared to the reverse) - with a short steep climb at 60kph to Mt Victoria....then the long coast downhill to Penrith. A long downhill descent at the end of a trip is useful when planning a Hypermilling trip - such as reaching the fast chargers at Bathurst from Yetholme (25kms) with virtually no depletion on your predicted range.
MrD-85-TSLA

Nagaman
Noobie

Post by Nagaman » Yesterday, 07:31

So does one pedal driving regeneration cope with the steep bits or do you need the wasteful friction brakes as well ?.