Any EV owners near Stepney (Adelaide) want a free charge?

Open for any sort of non-technical discussion regarding EVs
Samstain
Noobie

Any EV owners near Stepney (Adelaide) want a free charge?

Post by Samstain » Fri, 04 Oct 2019, 07:25

Hi All,

I work at a BMS (building management system) company, and we are starting to get involved in EV charging - specifically monitoring it and controlling max charge rates from our BMS -depending on available power, spot price, internal generation V's grid import etc.

We are expecting to have a test charger or two here shortly for us to trial interfacing to, but do not have a EV yet - procuring one as a work run-around on the to-do list, but I imagine it won't be till early next year, as generally Sept though the end of Jan is pretty hectic in our industry, so car shopping isn't a high priority. I am also looking at getting one personally but again won't be till some time next year.

So, once I have the charger wired up and talking to our BMS, I will likely be looking for anyone willing to plug in and accept a charge - I'll confirm the charger type when it arrives, but will likely be a 22kW AC type with type 2 sockets - we may get some leads also, not sure.

Note, we will be talking OCCP/ OCPP to the charger to enable/control its max current, not directly to your car (the commercial charger will still be doing that) so there should be no more risk involved to damage to your car than using any public charger - we are not doing R&D on charging, simply R&D on the interface to the charger, the charger will still be handling all the handshaking to your car & all the associated safeties.

Let me know if you are interested.

Cheers,

Scott.

lobster
Noobie

Re: Any EV owners near Stepney (Adelaide) want a free charge?

Post by lobster » Fri, 04 Oct 2019, 11:36

Hi Scott,
I live nearby & have an EV currently in transit to Adelaide.

The EV has a CCS / Type 2 combo port. It has a public charging cable & a 240V at 10Amp EVSE with a type 2 plug.

Is your charger an already approved product that will interface with the vehicles plug locking device? I have heard of plugs not releasing from vehicles after charging.

PM me to discuss this.

Regards, Steve

Samstain
Noobie

Post by Samstain » Fri, 04 Oct 2019, 16:06

Thanks Steve, will be in touch when we confirm which charger is going to be sent. The charger will likely be either a ENext, Evolve Smart T or one from the Schneider EV-Link range.

The test is the equivalent of me wanting to test a universal remote for a standard commercial DVD player - but not having a TV to plug in to the output of the DVD player to see what is going on.

The charger is being supplied by an Australian distributor, and will not be modified by us in any way, we are just talking to it via ethernet to allow it to charge when we are ready, and give it an upper limit on how fast it is allowed to charge. We will also monitor kWh, kWh and anything else we can get out of it.

Being an AC charger (technically AC chargers are not actually chargers, they are just a contactor which does some very basic communicating with your car before turning on - to check if the car is ready to accept charge, and if it needs to be in a ventilated space etc, the charger is built in to your car), it cannot force you charge your car faster than it would like, it can only ask the car's on-board charger to slow down, so like I said, no more risk than using any public AC charger.

Can I ask what car you have bought?

Cheers,

Scott.

lobster
Noobie

Post by lobster » Fri, 04 Oct 2019, 21:37

Scott,
the car will be "revealed" at the next Adelaide AEVA general meeting on 16 October. https://aevasa.kestar.com.au/meetings.htm
You are welcome to attend to meet other EV owners who may be able to assist with your tests.
Cheers, Steve

Samstain
Noobie

Post by Samstain » Tue, 15 Oct 2019, 08:15

Will try to make it along.

Our first charger has just arrived, Schneider EV-Link dual 22kW.
Last edited by Samstain on Tue, 15 Oct 2019, 17:28, edited 1 time in total.

lobster
Noobie

Post by lobster » Tue, 15 Oct 2019, 15:12

Scott,
I hope to see you there. A good venue to meet up with a receptive group and discuss your smart EV Charging project.

Cheers, Steve