2020 Ioniq

Hyundai Interest Group
EVdownUnder
Groupie

Re: 2020 Ioniq

Post by EVdownUnder »

Yes faster charging would be great, although how often you actually need it is something to consider.
It reminds me of my first year in Australia from Europe where a 1.8L car is a BIG car, and colleagues telling me: "Yes but what if you tow!" And when asked how often they actually towed, or drive from Melbourne to Sydney in the case of an EV, you can rent a Toyota Land Cruiser for quite a few weekends with the savings of owning a small car or an EV.

As for the low speed noise (VESS - Virtual Engine Sound System on the Kona), yes I'm glad I have an ON/OFF switch when I reverse out of my driveway at 6am. Again, very rare but still. I like having the choice.
Ceramic blue Kona Highlander - Current stats:
As of 06 July 2020 (10 months of ownership)
30'800km at an average speed of 57km/h
127Wh/km from new

jonescg

Post by jonescg »

EVdownUnder wrote:
Fri, 26 Jun 2020, 21:03
Yes faster charging would be great, although how often you actually need it is something to consider.
It's a problem you never need to consider with an ICE; the old 95th percentile use case. The trouble is, every percentile above 90 is increasingly more expensive and extravagant than the one before it. We do one long trip a year, on average. So waiting an hour at each charger can be stomached. But if we were doing that trip on a regular basis I would have got a different car.
AEVA National Secretary, WA branch chair.

reecho

Post by reecho »

EVdownUnder wrote:
Fri, 26 Jun 2020, 20:21
My Kona was at the dealer today for its 30’000km service.
I took the opportunity to ask Doncaster Hyundai for a full EV Ionic as a loan car.
I drove about 100km in the top of the range Ionic Premium.

Well, I have to admit that if you forget the range difference* (311km vs 449km WLTP), the Ionic is a better car in every way. Don’t shoot me, these are just personal opinions:

More quiet. Possibly due to the better Michelin Premacy 4 instead of the very average Nexen.

Better interior in general. More spacious all around, very noticeable for the rear passengers.
Bigger boot (possibly not if you count the big cavity under the floor, but when your boot is full of parts and tools or camping gear, accessing it is extremely impractical. This is why I need that frunk/froot thing), although possibly not as practical shape wise.
Memory seat! Yes thank you. At $70k, the top of the range Kona should really have this option.
Hard to explain but it just feels more "premium" in the Ionic.

I have always liked SUVs for the ride height and visibility, and the boot size and shape. But as mentioned, all my tools and spare parts for my job fitted better in the Ionic, and I didn’t really notice a big difference in the ride height and view forward and sides. Between the seat at max top position (I'm 174cm short) and the skateboard batteries under, it feel much higher than a Toyota Corolla.
One beef, I know it may look good from the outside but this horizontal pillar obscuring the rear view… A perfect example of form over function. Thankfully partially compensated by a good quality rear view camera. Rear view that can be seen at the press of a button at any speed. Cool!

And the lane keep assist ACTUALLY assists. Not sure if the Kona has all the hardware required but the bouncing from side to side is NOT a lane keep assistant.

But it’s not perfect. If you have even mild OCD, the shiny piano black finish with finger marks all over is very annoying. Besides, nothing beats a good old button to minimise the need to take my eyes off the road. The do like the bigger screen and possibility to split it in thirds. Perfect for nerds. Map on 2 third and EV data on 1 third. But is it me or you can’t customise that third when in Android Auto?

As for 100kW/295Nm instead of 150/395, possibly due to the weight difference, it sure doesn't feel sluggish, and still more fun than any ICE cars I've had.
And the flip side is that the efficiency is even better than the Kona. My current consumption from new on the Kona is 12.7KWh/100km, I'm thinking that 11.0 to 11.5 average is achievable.

So my first (and only) 100km impressions, scatter a few more fast chargers to compensate of the range difference and it could be my next car.
Unless I go all out and get the Rivian R1T or R1S ;) I’m just not sure how you’re supposed to park these monsters in a small underground car park…
And let's not forget that the top of the range Ionic is about $13'000 cheaper than the top of the range Kona. Not negligible. And I could probably buy 3 or 4 for the price of the R1S.

*About the range, for those who don't know, I drive 40'000km per year and can't see the point of installing a charger at my house. 240Vac 10A is all I need and very rarely at that.
PlugShare is a great charging station location app that I use extensively to plug all over the place and mostly for free.
Agree on the Nexen tyre. They are junk but LLR. Primacy 4 is much quieter with minimal extra energy use.

Note the Kona only has LKA as standard. The 2020 Ioniq has LKA which then changes to LFA with cruise control. The Ioniq will feel smarter in comparison.

jonescg

Post by jonescg »

Ioniq fully charged.jpg
Ioniq fully charged.jpg (177.91 KiB) Viewed 252 times
New high score!

reecho

Post by reecho »

jonescg wrote:
Sun, 28 Jun 2020, 14:14
Ioniq fully charged.jpg

New high score!
In the middle of winter no less..... :o

JD Solar and EV
Noobie

Post by JD Solar and EV »

LOL, Km driven on one charge is the only measure mate, not the GOM numbers.
Current AEVA QLD Chairman

Check out my EV videos at JD Solar and EV YouTube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNMxXc ... bUTfpHU5LQ

jonescg

Post by jonescg »

I know that ☺.
I think so far 325 km around town is my best yet.

EVdownUnder
Groupie

Post by EVdownUnder »

JD Solar and EV wrote:
Wed, 01 Jul 2020, 18:35
LOL, Km driven on one charge is the only measure mate, not the GOM numbers.
For a true nerd, even GoM numbers are valid as bragging rights 8-)
127Wh/km from new

Nagaman
Groupie

Post by Nagaman »

Does anyone seriously think that the dealership network is in any way enthusiastic about replacing their high maintenance profitable ICE vehicles with sharply priced (low margin) negligible maintenance EVs ?
How many do you see on any sales floor in various colours to choose from other than drab grey with grey interiors.....and actually available with sales enthusiasm thrown in.
As bad as Australia’s supply is, it seems supply doesn’t meet demand anywhere........and the predictable (convenient) answer is always - battery supply.
To me, Tesla is the only enthusiastic manufacturer.......the others are dreading the struggle and pain.

jonescg

Post by jonescg »

Nagaman wrote:
Fri, 10 Jul 2020, 10:03
Does anyone seriously think that the dealership network is in any way enthusiastic about replacing their high maintenance profitable ICE vehicles with sharply priced (low margin) negligible maintenance EVs ?
None of them are excited by it, no. But they have to decide on pain now or pain later, and invariably they chose pain later.
Nagaman wrote:
How many do you see on any sales floor in various colours to choose from other than drab grey with grey interiors.....and actually available with sales enthusiasm thrown in.
As bad as Australia’s supply is, it seems supply doesn’t meet demand anywhere........and the predictable (convenient) answer is always - battery supply.
To me, Tesla is the only enthusiastic manufacturer.......the others are dreading the struggle and pain.
It depends on the dealership and whether or not they have a versatile, enthusiastic and knowledgeable sales rep on the floor. Most don't, but those who do, make sales. Wild West where I bought my Ioniq from are keen, professional and not pushy at all. Not all are like that, though.

Nagaman
Groupie

Post by Nagaman »

jonescg wrote: post......It depends on the dealership and whether or not they have a versatile, enthusiastic and knowledgeable sales rep on the floor. Most don't, but those who do, make sales. Wild West where I bought my Ioniq from are keen, professional and not pushy at all. Not all are like that, though.
Yeah, it must be a worry for so many who intend to ‘catch up’ with the competition and meet demand.
Then there are the ‘speed shops’.....
Biden just announced his administration wants the end of emissions by 2035
Britain; the end of the tailpipe by 2032
There’s a message for many

Rusdy
Groupie

Post by Rusdy »

jonescg wrote:
Fri, 10 Jul 2020, 10:48
Nagaman wrote:
None of them are excited by it, no. But they have to decide on pain now or pain later, and invariably they chose pain later.
And then there are users like myself (me naively believe this user-group is a silent majority) who don't have emotional connection to their 'transportation device', which happily to see 'car ownership' model to end, rather quickly.

Bring it on with autonomous cars with their low-cost $/km, with their on-demand ability within minutes. Although that won't beat my eBike $/km, but my eBike can't transport my family :lol:

PS: I do have soft spot for batteries though. I just LOVE anything with batteries in it :geek:

jamie85063
Noobie

Post by jamie85063 »

In response to nagaman,

This has been my big disappointment with these vehicle manufacturers that have been producing ice powered vehicles. It frustrates me no end their tiny token gestures of electric vehicles. When I heard Hyundai was going to bring the electric Kona and the ioniq series I was very happy. I expected Hyundai would have these vehicles for sale at all their dealers around the country just like any other vehicles they sell. I was very disappointed to find out only very few select dealers had them for sale.

Also very few electric vehicles brought in and asking alot more then I thought reasonable for these vehicles. I thought they have stuffed up a great opportunity to be a front runner in Australia of electric vehicles. Imagine Hyundai having at least one or two electric vehicles for sale at every dealer the amount of people that would see them and find out about them etc would be huge. Unfortunately just like Nissan before them the dropped the electric ball ☹️. Why Nissan don't bring in the e-nv200 van has me beat.

I guess it's up to the Chinese brands to set the electric vehicle sales on fire in Australia since all the other brands except Tesla really are not interested.

jonescg

Post by jonescg »

The dealership model is the #1 reason they are making such a hash of EVs. They are businesses and they are looking at their options, and none of them are good. They need to pay for the opportunity to be EV service centres, and pay a lot. For so few EVs I can see why they are hesitant.

EVdownUnder
Groupie

Post by EVdownUnder »

I fully agree with everyone's comments on Australia, the dealers and the obvious lack of enthusiasm.
But this is not the full story. A had a loan 2020 Ionic Elite while my Kona was in for it's service at the Doncaster dealer (first impressions shared in the 2020 Ionic thread), an ex-colleague of mine tried it, bought one 4 days later and received it 2 days later...

Hyundai Doncaster have stock. They have stock of the Ionic AND the Kona. No more waiting, And they are ready to give excellent prices to move stock, so let's do our part by showing as many people why you can never go back to an ICE car after enjoying the silent torque of an EV. And if they drive enough, or have a company that give them a car allowance, you can even show them the maths.
In 5 years it will make no sense to buy an ICE car for most people, but even today, it already makes financial sense, even if you are not a greenie.
I might stand corrected when I try to sell my Kona in a market where better and cheaper EVs are available, but call me a pessimist, thanks to our backward thinking, fossil fuel lovers, corrupted arseholes (protecting their friends and personal interests to the detriment of the poor and the planet) at the head of our country, I feel pretty safe.

As for the Hyundai "Blue Dealer" rubbish, annoying but very logical. When you sell 1 EV for every 99 ICE car, to avoid diluting the service knowledge to a point where a service person would become fully useless, let's make sure only a few dealership see ALL of the EVs. I service blood analysers, and I can tell you that fixing an instrument you haven't touched in 18 months is daunting.
127Wh/km from new

brendon_m

Post by brendon_m »

EVdownUnder wrote:
Sat, 11 Jul 2020, 10:24
Hyundai Doncaster have stock. They have stock of the Ionic AND the Kona. No more waiting
But when did you last see an advert from them for an EV? Or any dealer? That's why they have stock. Its hard to sell a product if no one knows about it.
When the Ioniq was first released I saw a billboard for it and I was amazed to finally see some EV advertising. 2 weeks later, gone. And I haven't seen anything else from hyundai (or anyone else) since.
Ask a random in the street about what EVs are available and they may mention Tesla, they probably wont even be aware of any other manufacturers, except for Toyota and their self charging hybrids :roll:
EVdownUnder wrote:
Sat, 11 Jul 2020, 10:24
As for the Hyundai "Blue Dealer" rubbish, annoying but very logical. When you sell 1 EV for every 99 ICE car, to avoid diluting the service knowledge to a point where a service person would become fully useless, let's make sure only a few dealership see ALL of the EVs.
I agree, Toyota do the same with their hybrids (well they used to, I think ALL their dealers are 'certified' now). And it makes sense. Speak to people with an imiev about how hard it is to get their car repaired because there isn't enough knowledge at the recommended dealers let alone if you were to spread that experience out across the nation

jonescg

Post by jonescg »

Drove down to Harvey and back on a single charge. The first third of the trip is suburbia, and the average speed was around 60 km/h, but it was 273 km all up, with at least 200 of that at highway speeds (100 km/h). Arrived with 6% left on the gauge and probably about 15 km. Never exceeded 12.7 kWh/100 km the whole time.

So I think 250 km from an overnight charge is entirely feasible. It means I can drive to Kojonup, Merredin or Dalwallinu direct, then charge at a (soon to be installed...) fast charger and continue on to the next destination. Each subsequent fast charge will take at least an hour though.

brendon_m

Post by brendon_m »

So, 2hrs per leg of the trip with a 1 hour rest. I reckon that battery capacity is about right. Certainly something I could live with. (Wanna trade for a Diahatsu? :mrgreen: )

Hyundai have done a great job with the efficiency of the Ioniq (and Kona for that matter), they just need to get people to test drive them. "Bums in seats" and all that.

jonescg

Post by jonescg »

Honestly all they need to do is let it charge faster. Not sure how much room they have left to do that, but capacity-wise it's perfect. Also worked out that with a full overnight charge you can drive to Jurien bay, Dallwallinu, Merredin, Wagin, Kojonup or Dunsborough. That's pretty much every road out of town. Just need a DCFC in all those towns.

francisco.shi
Groupie

Post by francisco.shi »

Slow charge is probably to protect the battery.