PIP-5048MK inverter

non-EV Solar, Wind and other renewable power sources
non-EV batteries and other energy storage stuff
Forum rules
Important!
This forum is for discussion of Non-EV matters.
Box
Noobie

Re: PIP-5048MK inverter

Post by Box »

Hi,

It seems your advice for fine, today i change my pannels to have 60-80VDC on PV input and work fine.
I wait my MPPPT boards replacement for my others inverters to test the parallel mode.
So many thanks paulvk and inform you when i can work in parralel mode.

hope my posts will can help another person who look only the 145 VDC max in PV input manual.

It's crasy than MPPSOLAR support never speak me about this.....
paulvk

Post by paulvk »

What is the panel voltage under load ?
60 volts is too low for proper working of the MPPT charger.
Rick54
Noobie

Post by Rick54 »

Hello everyone,

thanks to a 51 fault on my PIP4048MS ... i changed to a new 5048MK (firmware 71.97) from AXPERT.
I tried to understand how the bypass function is working between the setting 10 and 23 and i'm lost.
If you press the on/off button that doesn't do anything ... i'm lost.

What is the way of working of those 2 settings with the on/off and why i can't shut down my inverter pressing the on/off button ?

If you have an explanation (more than the user manual) i will really appreciate.
With scenario i will maybe understand a bit better.

Thanks in advance
Regards

Rick
coulomb
Site Admin

Post by coulomb »

Rick54 wrote: Sat, 17 Jul 2021, 23:20 If you press the on/off button that doesn't do anything ... i'm lost.
[ Edit: I got this totally wrong; see this post for a correction. ]

As with any of the Pip or Axpert inverters, the switch is really an inverter-proper (DC-AC converter) on/off, not a total power on/off switch. Though if you have no charging sources (AC-in or solar), then after tens of seconds, it will turn off completely. Models with the 145V max solar charge controllers (like the MK/Kings) will turn back on at sunrise just to charge the battery, and off again at sunset, assuming of course that PV is connected.

So if an MK/King is in bypass mode (as opposed to line mode, for this model only), then the DC-AC converter will already be off, so turning off the switch will in fact do nothing. Eco mode and bypass mode are the same thing, at least on this model.
MG ZS EV 2021 April 2021. Nissan Leaf 2012 with new battery May 2019.
5650 W solar, 2xPIP-4048MS inverters, 16 kWh battery.
Patching PIP-4048/5048 inverter-chargers.
If you appreciate my work, you can buy me a coffee.
Rick54
Noobie

Post by Rick54 »

Hello Coulomb,

thank you to take time for this answer.
I tried to apply what you explained to me.
I put ECO in setting 10 and ByD and i was expecting when sun is up to go back to SOLAR and Battery to provide energy to my house but ECO remain and the sun was only charging battery set.
I switch On/Off and nothing.
I Switch setting 10 to Onl or Aut (keeping setting 23 on ByD). Nothing happened. I was expecting at least the on/off button to do something regarding what you explained to me.
I m in SBU and SLB UDC.

I'm so sorry but still don't understand. And how i can say to my inverter to go ECO when no sun (during the night) to avoid 50w to run the inverter and allow him to provide energy to loads and battery during the day.

Regards

Rick
rasto
Noobie

Post by rasto »

Hello fellas
Ihave some unanswered question.
Two 5048mk parallel on one phase.
Primar invertor set charging current (parameter 02) to 60A.
Secondar invertor was set automaticaly to 20A and can not be changed via apk or manual.
I would like to resolve this bug, because I am loosing efectivity during sunny days and empty battery.
coulomb
Site Admin

Post by coulomb »

rasto wrote: Sun, 29 Aug 2021, 04:27 Secondar invertor was set automaticaly to 20A and can not be changed via apk or manual.
What is your battery type setting (setting 05)?

Are you using a cable from the battery BMS to one of your removable displays? If so, the BMS sets that value. But my understanding is that in those circumstances, setting 02 is ignored. It may appear to change from time to time depending on what the BMS knows about the health of each cell.

If not using battery type PYL or similar, you should be able to change setting 02 independently on each inverter. It might be necessary to change the cable from your monitoring computer to the other machine temporarily to change that setting, depending on your monitoring software.
rasto
Noobie

Post by rasto »

coulomb wrote: Sun, 29 Aug 2021, 08:37
rasto wrote: Sun, 29 Aug 2021, 04:27 Secondar invertor was set automaticaly to 20A and can not be changed via apk or manual.
What is your battery type setting (setting 05)?

Are you using a cable from the battery BMS to one of your removable displays? If so, the BMS sets that value. But my understanding is that in those circumstances, setting 02 is ignored. It may appear to change from time to time depending on what the BMS knows about the health of each cell.

If not using battery type PYL or similar, you should be able to change setting 02 independently on each inverter. It might be necessary to change the cable from your monitoring computer to the other machine temporarily to change that setting, depending on your monitoring software.
No BMS is connected to inverters.
The batteries are Catl cells 14s.
05 parameter on both inverters is set to user.
The secondary inverter accepted 20A limitation and do not charge the battery beyond that.
Firmware 71.93
Thank you
coulomb
Site Admin

Post by coulomb »

Beta Version of Patched Firmware 71.97a / 02.66a for PIP-5048MK/Axpert King 5K

Firstly, a huge thanks to Power Forum user Youda, who generously paid for Weber and I to buy an Axpert King to work on.

This is the first patched firmware for PIP-5048MK / Axpert Kings (not King II) since patched firmware version 71.80d almost two years ago. The patches are based on main firmware version 71.97 and removable display firmware version 02.66.

So far it's the mildest of patches, merely fixing the premature float bugs, and updating the version numbers. The handling of version numbers is a little more complex than we're used to, because of the removable display. The main version should display as "BCa71.97" (non-LFP) or "BFa71.97" (LFP) on Watchpower, and possibly on other monitoring software that displays the full version number as a string.

Due to an oversight on my part, the one-byte patch to display the temperature data page isn't present in this version; sorry. That will come soon.

It's not necessary to update the removable display, as there are no functional changes there as yet, but it allows for the patched version number to be displayed on what was the U1 data page (see below). But updating the display firmware is a good way to know that you've updated the main firmware.

BC1_71.97a display sm.jpg
BC1_71.97a display sm.jpg (139.99 KiB) Viewed 17243 times

Warning!

Flashing this firmware to an incompatible machine will likely brick the inverter!

For some combinations of firmware, the reflash tool will not prevent this.

Often, there is no reversing this situation. You have been warned!

Main (DSP) patched firmware for lithium ferrous phosphate (LFP) (16S or 15S), including Pylontech:
dsp_BF1_71.97a.zip
(1.66 MiB) Downloaded 432 times
Here's a description of the differences between the LFP and non-LFP flavours.

Main (DSP) patched firmware for lead acid (24S), lithium cobalt-blends (LCO, NMC, NCM, NCA) (14S), and lithium titanate (LTO) (21S or 20S):
dsp_BC1_71.97a.zip
(1.66 MiB) Downloaded 214 times
[ plus 13 downloads before we updated the attachment ]

Removable display (MCU) patched firmware, all battery types:
mcu_BU2_02.66a.zip
(1.7 MiB) Downloaded 410 times
[ plus 12 downloads before we updated the attachment ]

See these Firmware Upload Instructions for Models with a Removable Display.

It should go without saying that you use this patched firmware at your own risk. Please report any problems to this thread.

[ Edit: Revised the attachment files to add original user guides, remove unnecessary files, and BC2 → BU2 (there is no "flavour" for display firmware) ]
coulomb
Site Admin

Post by coulomb »

Weber and I have added an LFP flavour of patched main firmware version 71.97a. See the previous post.
coulomb
Site Admin

Post by coulomb »

Firmware Upload Instructions for Models with a Removable or Round Display

These instructions apply only to models with a removable or round display, like the ones shown below. For models without a removable display, see these other firmware upload instructions.

BC1_71.97a display vsm.jpg
BC1_71.97a display vsm.jpg (45.1 KiB) Viewed 17172 times
Round Display.jpg
Round Display.jpg (23.75 KiB) Viewed 11151 times
Note that the RS-232 port and BMS ports are swapped on models with the round display, compared to the removable display above:

Max II ports.jpg
Max II ports.jpg (54.65 KiB) Viewed 11061 times
Download the appropriate firmware zip file, via the index page or elsewhere. Unzip it using the Windows File Manager "Extract All..." context menu item (right click menu) and follow the prompts to extract it to a new folder. The file name the reflash tool looks for is usually fixed, usually either dsp.hex, mcu.hex or vm3.hex for Axpert VM III models, located in the same folder as the reflash tool. In patched firmware zip files, dsp.hex is already a copy of the patched firmware if the reflash tool will only look for that file name.

If you are updating the main (DSP, U1) firmware, there are two ways to do it. The first does not require a Windows computer or a USB-to-RS232-serial adapter. It does however require a USB drive and a USB On-The-Go cable (USB OTG) with a micro-B plug on one end and a type-A socket on the other, like this:

This method cannot update the display firmware. For this method, copy the appropriate hex file into the root directory (not in a folder) of USB drive (FAT32 format). On Windows, it may be helpful to make sure that View / Show / File name extensions is ticked (see screenshot below). Some firmware updates name the hex file with a .inv extension, for example VP5K.inv . You have to rename this to one of the following names in the flash drive:
dsp.hex for MKS 1 models (not MKS II or III) or King models,
vm3.hex for Axpert VM III and VM4 models, or
mks2.hex for Axpert MAX and MKS II models.
Connect the USB drive, via the OTG cable, to the micro-B USB port on the display. Access the USB transfer menu by holding down the display's top left button for 3 seconds. Select Upgrade Firmware by pressing the button next to UPG; confirm by pressing the button next to "YES". The reflash process takes about 10 minutes.
Show file name extensions.png
Show file name extensions.png (40.35 KiB) Viewed 5756 times

Otherwise (not using the USB OTG method), you will need a Windows computer and a USB-to-RS232-serial (DB9 male) adapter like the one below, or a very old computer with a real RS232 (DB9) serial port.

Do NOT use a direct to RJ-45 adapter, as it will have the wrong pinout:

Some serial adapters (or possibly the combination of serial adapter and Windows version) seem to be more suitable than others. The known-good USB to serial adapters use a PL2303 chip; see this post for details. South African readers: please see this post or this post for sources. There is an issue with counterfeit USB chips; these can prevent firmware updates from starting (see this post).

Do not try to use a USB phone charger cable (type-A plug to micro-B plug) between your computer and the display's micro-B port.

Connect the USB-to-RS232-serial adapter to the RS232-serial-to-RJ45 cable that came with your inverter-charger. (Lost it? Pinout here.) DO NOT USE AN ETHERNET (RJ-45 to RJ-45 straight through) CABLE!

Connect the RJ45 end to the RS-232 port on your inverter. That's the right-hand RJ45 port on the bottom of the removable display, or the left-hand RJ-45 port if you have a round display. Connect the USB end to your computer. If you get a notification from your computer similar to "a device is undergoing additional setup", wait until it says something like "your device is ready for use".

Power up your inverter charger by connecting the battery, which should not be nearly empty. Ensure the circular ⏻ switch on the display is pushed in. Make sure that your computer is powered by something other than the inverter you're updating, as that will go off during the reflash process. Disconnect all loads, and disconnect solar panels (unless you are updating the SCC firmware, which we don't yet know how to do for these models, and don't recommend).

Make sure you are not running any software that could be using the serial port, in particular, exit the WatchPower application. Don't just close the application; use the right mouse button on the WatchPower system tray icon, usually at the bottom right of your computer screen:

In the folder you extracted from the zip file, double click on the Reflash Tool .exe icon (the file name varies, don't mix up the reflash tools). If you get a box with something like "The app you're trying to run isn't a verified app from the Store", click Run anyway. This should bring up the small reflash application. If necessary, change the serial port selection to the one that connects to your inverter. This may require some trial and error.

If updating the MCU (removable display or secondary) firmware, click on the "Update MCU" button. If updating the DSP (main) firmware, click on the "Update" button. DO NOT USE THE "Update DSP" BUTTON on the reflash tool that has two update buttons. Answer Yes to "Are you sure". Nothing will appear to happen for 10-25 seconds, so don't panic. Eventually, new text should start appearing in the box under the progress bar, saying that erasing has been successful and so on. It will take some 10 minutes to complete the flash programming. At the end, if prompted, click OK to exit the reflash application.

There is a very small chance that your display hardware requires a resistor to be added to your RJ-45 to D9 cable, to prevent overheating of a part in the display during firmware updating. Details are here.

Important: new chipset could lead to bricking!
Displays (removable and fixed round) have until about mid 2022 used an ST Microsystems microcontroller. From mid 2022 on, some continue to use this brand, while others use a GigaDevice microcontroller chip. These chips are both ARM chips with similar capabilities and instruction set, but the bootloader is different enough that if you use the wrong firmware, you can brick your display. Fortunately, this is a recoverable bricking, but it requires fairly precise timing and a lot of patience, so it's definitely worth avoiding. As far as I can tell, all GigaDevice firmware has a version number of the form 1xx.xx; the otherwise identical firmware for the ST Microsystems chip has firmware of the form xx.xx, where the xx's are the same as for the GigaDevice chip, but just missing the leading "1" digit. Sadly, the displays only show two of the potentially thee major version digits! The round display apparently will attempt to hint to you that you have a 1xx.xx firmware version, turning on a column of dots to suggest the leading one:

Display shows leading 1 as dots.jpg
Display shows leading 1 as dots.jpg (32.03 KiB) Viewed 11148 times
The above shows a display (U2) firmware version 122.12. To avoid bricking your display, only update with firmware of the same major version number (122 in the above example), paying particular attention to the hundreds digit of the major version number. If you have a removable display, you may have to check the version number with a phone app, monitoring software, or using a QVFW3 command. One of the monitoring programs, perhaps Watchpower, doesn't show the display version number.

If you get an error to do with the serial port (e.g. invalid serial port, or the serial port doesn't appear in the drop down list), it's probably because you have something running that is keeping the serial port in use. Double check that you have exited WatchPower properly and any terminal emulation programs like TeraTerm. You may need to change the com port used by the USB to serial adapter to be named one of COM1 through COM9 for the reflash tool to see it (Device Manager, Ports, Properties, Advanced; step by step guide here if you need it). Merely choosing another USB socket on your computer might work. On my laptop, the two most convenient USB ports come up as COM10 (not usable) and COM6 (usable). After changing ports, restart the reflash tool; it doesn't refresh its list of available COM ports. Note that most laptops have a built-in Bluetooth COM port, which the reflash tool will usually pick by default; this will not be your USB to serial port.

If something goes wrong, see the If you think your inverter is bricked post.

[ Edit Nov 2023: Name hex file mks2.hex for Axpert Max ]
coulomb
Site Admin

Post by coulomb »

Weber pointed out in email that I got the function of the inverter's ⏻ switch badly wrong in this post. So I'll post a correction below.

As with any of the Pip or Axpert inverters, the switch is really a LOAD on/off, not a TOTAL POWER on/off switch. Though if you have no charging sources (AC-in or solar), then after tens of seconds, it will turn off completely. Presumably, this is because the inverter-charger has nothing more to do: it can't charge the battery, and it can't power the loads. So it may as well save power and switch off. Models with the 145V max solar charge controllers (like the MK/Kings) and the load switch off, will turn back on at sunrise just to charge the battery, assuming of course that PV is connected, and off again at sunset, assuming that AC-in is not connected.

I incorrectly stated that if the King is in bypass mode, that turning off the load switch would do nothing. It would have the very obvious effect of turning off the loads (possibly blacking out the house, for example).
Last edited by weber on Tue, 07 Sep 2021, 20:17, edited 1 time in total.
coulomb
Site Admin

Post by coulomb »

The Bypass Function Setting 23

There are two settings that are unique the PIP-5048MK / Axpert King; one of these is setting 23, "Bypass function". It has three possible values: BYF ("Bypass forbidden"), BYD ("Bypass disable", perhaps better described as "bypass on button"), and BYE ("Bypass enable (default)"). BYD means that bypass is disabled when the main button is out/unpressed, and enabled when the main button is in/pressed.

We have a Node-Red based monitoring system running on a Beagle Bone Black (similar to a Raspberry Pi). Among other things, it can change the inverter settings via a web interface. This was set up for our PIP-4048MS and PIP-5048MS inverters, but it lacked the ability to read or set the bypass function setting. It turns out that the MK/King main (DSP) firmware has commands to do this conveniently (QOLBY and POLBY), but the removable display firmware doesn't "pass them through". We figured that it had to be possible, since Watchpower does it, and indeed we found that the setting was affected by some PE and PD commands. These commands usually set fairly routine things like backlight on/off, power saving, etc. The "flags" affected are the "b" and "c" flags. The "b" flag is documented in the protocol manuals as enabling and disabling "overload bypass" which is its function (and the function of setting 23) in the PIP-5048MS / Axpert MKS; flag "c" is not documented.

It turns out that you can use the QFLAG command to find out the present value for the bypass function setting. QFLAG returns a slightly weird string that tells you which flags are enabled and which are disabled. There are about 11 of these flags, but only two ("b" and "c") relate to the bypass function:

Code: Select all

Flag  |  Bypass
c  b  |  function
0  0  |  BYF Bypass forbidden ("doubly disabled": both "b" and "c" flags cleared)
0  1  |  Changes to BYF (b flag clears itself)
1  0  |  BYD Bypass "disabled" (Bypass on button)
1  1  |  BYE Bypass enable
Weber had the idea that we had to derive a state transition diagram that showed how the four basic commands (enabling and disabling of the "b" and "c" flags) changed the state of the bypass function setting. He ended up with a wonderful scribbled diagram, which I've now cleaned up:

bypassStates.png
bypassStates.png (41.7 KiB) Viewed 16752 times
For those interested, this was generated using the GraphViz program "dot". I used the Cygwin package GraphViz, and the following command:
dot -Tpng -o bypassStates.png bypassStates.dot
The dot source file is attached; it's a simple text file.

In the above state transition diagram, the three nodes (ovals) are the "states" of the system (here these states represent possible values of the bypass function setting). Edges (lines) represent actions (here commands) that take the system from one state to another (here, from one bypass function setting value to another).

The large number of edges on this diagram comes from the fact that it's possible to set two or more flags at once, or clear two or more flags at once. It doesn't matter what order the flags appear in commands like PEbc; it sets both flags "b" and "c", and there is no "in between" state where one is set but the other is not. This allows one to force states BYF (both flags cleared) and BYE (both flags set) in a single command. Unfortunately, the other state has one flag set and one flag cleared, so it can't be reached in one command unless you know what state you're coming from.

As a final check, I did a quick search of the Watchpower jar file, and happened across a function that set the bypass mode to one of three values. For two of the states (BYD and BYE), they indeed send two commands, busy waiting for one second between sending the commands! We can improve on that by sending a "double flag" instruction for the BYE setting value.

So the least worst way of changing the bypass function setting seems to be as follows:
To go to the BYF setting value, just send PDc (the single command "PDc" without the quotes, adding the usual 2 CRC characters and carriage return).
To go to the BYE setting value, send the PEbc or PEcb command.
To go to the BYD setting value, first send PEc, then send PDb, waiting about 1 second between the commands.
Attachments
bypassStates.dot
(538 Bytes) Downloaded 250 times
Lubomír
Noobie

Post by Lubomír »

Hi
I'm new here, so I want to thank you for your efforts!
Please advice my PIP5048MK.
I uploaded your modified dsp_BF1_71.97a.zip firmware.
I've been using it for 1 month and I haven't started the bulk charging phase yet.
Still working only floating.
Is there anything else you need to activate in the menu aba Bulk worked? Or what conditions will interrupt the bulk phase?
I use 16s 240Ah cells, floating 53.5V, bulk 54V, back to mains 51V,
Disconnect the 50V, return the 52V battery.
coulomb
Site Admin

Post by coulomb »

Lubomír wrote: Wed, 06 Oct 2021, 22:40 I'm new here
Welcome to the forum.
I uploaded your modified dsp_BF1_71.97a.zip firmware.
I've been using it for 1 month and I haven't started the bulk charging phase yet.
Still working only floating.
So during the day the CHG LED is always flashing, never solid? It starts flashing immediately at sunrise?
Is there anything else you need to activate in the menu aba Bulk worked?
Bulk charging should happen immediately that solar power is present.
Or what conditions will interrupt the bulk phase?
The bulk stage should automatically lead to the absorb (constant voltage) stage once the battery voltage rises to nearly the bulk/absorb battery voltage setting (setting 26), and there are two ways to exit absorb stage to float stage:
(1) The charge current falls below the maximum total charge current setting (setting 02) divided by 12, but with a minimum of 3 A if setting 02 is 30 A or less. This is the normal, "battery full" condition for the LFP flavour of the patched firmwares.
(2) If timed absorb is enabled (setting 32, poorly named "bulk charging time" is set to other than AUT), then after the battery voltage approaches the bulk/absorb voltage setting (setting 26), then regardless of the battery voltage, when the time specified in setting 32 expires (5-900 min), then absorb stage is terminated and the float stage starts. Setting 32 has to be set to AUT for condition (1) above to take effect.
Lubomír
Noobie

Post by Lubomír »

Hi
Thank you for your reply and explanation.
Yes I always noticed just a flashing charging LED.
However, it is true that I have set an absorption time of 5 minutes.
It is possible that the bulk phase went unnoticed in the morning at high charging current!
I'll try the bulk time on AUTO and I'll watch.
Thank you.
Lubomír
Lubomír
Noobie

Post by Lubomír »

Hi
It's alright! The phase works en masse. It was my setup error. Thank you for your help!
Have a nice day, Lubomír
coulomb
Site Admin

Post by coulomb »

I was asked to write down what CAN bus packets a removable display for a PIP/Axpert inverter would be expecting from a BMS.

There are two, possibly three values for the battery type setting (setting 05) that use the CAN bus:
* WEC (Weco)
* SOL (Soltaro)
* AGM (yes, the default battery type, Absorbent Glass Mat. I assume that this is a bug, and the firmware is comparing for battery type zero because the internal bit pattern for battery type AGM happens to be zero). So there is possibly a third battery type whose firmware support is not yet complete.

All CAN protocols use extended addressing (29-bit identifiers, not 11-bit identifiers). Even for messages where 11 bits is sufficient to encode the ID (e.g. 0x111), a standard (non-extended) identifier message will not work. All messages are 8 data bytes in length; ordinary data frames (not RTR frames).

Weco uses a non-standard CAN bus speed of 100 kbps (100 kilo-bits per second) [ edit: was 200 kbps ]. Soltaro uses the standard speed of 500 kbps [ edit: was 1 Mbps ]. The "AGM" protocol, if it works at all, seems to run at 125 kbps.

Both WEC and SOL protocols are receive only; the inverter's display does not send any CAN packets. "AGM" protocol responds to a message with extended ID 0x101 by sending a message also with ID 0x111. The last data byte of the received message has to be 0x11 (lots of one nibbles in this protocol).

Since "AGM" protocol is incomplete and probably can't even be selected, I'll ignore it from here on. [ Edit: it looks like it may be literally the default battery type of AGM. It may be necessary to select it twice, possibly with a few seconds between selections or PBT commands, especially if the present battery type is PYL or another BMS protocol. ] The Soltaro protocol has now been tested, at least the messages ending in 2 and 4.

Weco protocol
============

ID 0x101-200. A message with any identifier in the range 0x101-0x200 inclusive will act the same. I use the convention "2:1" to indicate that the first and second bytes of the message are to be considered a little-endian 16-bit number (little end first). I number the data bytes 1-8 (as opposed to 0-7).
  • 2:1 is max charge voltage
    4:3 is max charge current, tenths of an amp. This is per battery pack (module).
    6:5 is discharge voltage limit
    8:7 is max discharge current, tenths of an amp. This is per battery pack (module).
    This message should be sent regularly; on receipt of the third such message, if all else goes well, the BMS will be considered "connected", so the battery icon will flash.

ID 0x201-300.
  • 2:1 has SOC in 0.4% units, so 250 = 100% (byte 2 should always be 0)
    4:3 has BMS battery voltage, in tenths of a volt. So 543 represents 54.3 V.
ID 0x301-400.
  • 8:7 when divided by 86 becomes the number of packs. Lithium batteries are organised in packs that can be paralleled, and groups of packs that can also be paralleled but extra hardware is needed to let the groups communicate with each other. I have no idea why this number is multiplied by 86 in the CAN message. Three such messages have to be sent before the number of packs is actually updated.
ID 0x401-500. This message is associated with force bits.
  • Bit 1 of byte 3 or bit 7 of byte 4 set: BMS force charge. If neither bit is set, the BMS force charge bit is cleared.
    Bit 0 of byte 3 is set, or bit 6 of byte 4 is set, or the SOC is 100% when this message is received, or the battery voltage is > 58.0 V when this message is received: stop charge. If the battery voltage is under 55.0 V when this message was received, and if the reason the stop charge bit was set was because the battery exceeded 58.0 V, then the stop charge bit is cleared. If the SOC is less than 90% when this message is received, and the reason that the stop charge bit was set was because the SOC was 100%, then the stop charge bit is cleared. If all of (bit 0 of byte 3 is clear) and (bit 6 of byte 4 is clear) and (SOC < 100%) and (battery voltage < 58.0 V) then clear the stop charge bit on receipt of this message.
    Byte 0 is non-zero, or bit 0 of byte 2 is set, then stop charge and discharge. Otherwise, clear the stop charge and discharge bit.

Soltaro protocol
==============

ID 0x1872.
  • 2:1 has maximum charge voltage
    4:3 has minimum battery voltage during discharge (may not act on this value as yet)
    6:5 is max charge current, tenths of an amp, total for all packs (similarly for Pylontech, LIB, or LIC)
    8:7 is max discharge current, tenths of an amp, total for all packs (similarly for Pylontech, LIB, or LIC)
    Send this message continuously for BMS to maintain "connected" status.
ID 0x1874.
  • 2:1 has battery voltage in tenths, e.g. 123 means 12.3 V.
    abs(4:3) stored but never used??
    byte 5 has BMS% 0-100 in units of 1%
    byte 8 has newNumPacks. When 3 such messages are received, this becomes the new number of packs.
    • Otherwise, Number of packs and groups set to 1
The next 3 messages use a "force byte", formatted as follows:
  • bits 7,6,5: set any of these bits to stop charge and discharge.
    bits 4,1,0: set any of these bits to stop charging.
    bits 3,2: set either of these bits to force charging.
ID 0x1875.
  • Bytes 1, 3, 5, and 7 are all force bytes as above. Bytes 2, 4, 6 and 8 are copied but as far as I can tell are ignored. Does not take effect till a 0x187B message. It's probably good practice to set all data other than byte 1 to zeroes, as the code checks all bytes, and you might get unintended forcing. To turn off these force bits, send this message with the appropriate bits cleared.
ID 0x1876.
  • Byte 1 is a force byte as above; byte 2 is copied but as far as I can tell ignored. Does not take effect till a 0x187B message. To turn off these force bits, send this message with the appropriate bits cleared.

NOTE: Messages 0x1875 and 0x1876 are independent, in the following sense. You can't turn off the force bits set with one by sending the other with appropriate bits cleared. So just use one or the other, don't mix them.

ID 0x187B.
  • All data ignored. Three of these messages cause the force bits as set by either of the above two messages to take effect. [ Edit: I can't see where this needs to be sent 3 times now; probably it only needs to be sent once. ]

[ Edit: Had 0x1875 and 0x1876 swapped. Sigh. ]
[ Edit: Had protocols speeds twice what they actually are. There must be another /2 somewhere I haven't noticed. ]
[ Edit: Weco 0x201-300: 8:7→2:1 ]
[ Edit: Added comments as to whether maximum charge or discharge current is per pack or total over all packs. ]
[ Edit: fixed confusion over tenths of amp and divide by 10 at the same time. ]
[ Edit: probably no need to send 0x187B three times (Soltaro) ]
[ Edit: Absorbed Glass Matrix -> Absorbent Glass Mat (thanks, Weber) ]
Squall
Noobie

Post by Squall »

suorama wrote: Sat, 13 Apr 2019, 19:09 There is a "little" problem with PIP-5048MK (Axpert King) when used parallel. Inverters information cannot collect thru one inverter, like PIP-4048MS.
I contact MPP solar support, and do few tests what they want to me to do. Today I got email where they promise new firmware by end of may.
I hope that helps also others with these new models, if that firmware solve problems. =)
Hello suorama, i have 2 pip-5048mk in parellel 1 phase, i am facing a problem similar to yours, i have original firmware 71.97 and display 2.70. Did you manage to see in the master inverter the sum of pv power and output power, as well as charge/discharge current?

My system consists in 2 pip-5048mk with 8 pylon us2000 and 8000kw PV array.
Before i have a pip4048ms.
Also a fan of Coulomb and Weber work, i do follow this forum for some time now.

Thank you.
paulvk

Post by paulvk »

Squall wrote: Mon, 08 Nov 2021, 20:13 Before i have a pip4048ms
I am curious why did you change?
My pip4048ms inverters are still going and approaching 8 years I have 4 in service
two each in two homes and two spares.
I have upgrades the DC capacitors in 4 in the last 12 months but still have to do this
in two that are in service but have had no capacitors fail just doing it as preventive measure.
Squall
Noobie

Post by Squall »

paulvk wrote: Tue, 09 Nov 2021, 09:48
Squall wrote: Mon, 08 Nov 2021, 20:13 Before i have a pip4048ms
I am curious why did you change?
My pip4048ms inverters are still going and approaching 8 years I have 4 in service
two each in two homes and two spares.
I have upgrades the DC capacitors in 4 in the last 12 months but still have to do this
in two that are in service but have had no capacitors fail just doing it as preventive measure.
My inverter never failed, i just wanted to know how the new generation works, because of the BMS for pylon and all of that, before i have AGM batteries.
I am a tecnologist, i am not rested until i try the new stuff. :D
paulvk

Post by paulvk »

Squall wrote: Tue, 09 Nov 2021, 15:41 I am a tecnologist, i am not rested until i try the new stuff.
Sounds like me, I have 44 x 100Ah VRLA batteries 11 banks of 4 and now there is 38 x 200Ah NiFe cells bank
I did not get the new inverters as they can not properly work with the NiFe cells the voltage swing is too
large a 48v 40 cell bank goes from 44v discharged to 66v bulk so I have a E-Smart 3 charger that is charging
the NiFe to 63v and disconnecting it from the system when 56v is reached, reconnects when the bank goes
below 56v.
Squall
Noobie

Post by Squall »

paulvk wrote: Tue, 09 Nov 2021, 17:19
Squall wrote: Tue, 09 Nov 2021, 15:41 I am a tecnologist, i am not rested until i try the new stuff.
Sounds like me, I have 44 x 100Ah VRLA batteries 11 banks of 4 and now there is 38 x 200Ah NiFe cells bank
I did not get the new inverters as they can not properly work with the NiFe cells the voltage swing is too
large a 48v 40 cell bank goes from 44v discharged to 66v bulk so I have a E-Smart 3 charger that is charging
the NiFe to 63v and disconnecting it from the system when 56v is reached, reconnects when the bank goes
below 56v.
Can you tell me if with parallel pip4048ms the power/pv/battery charge/discharge sum? how that works?
paulvk

Post by paulvk »

Squall wrote: Tue, 09 Nov 2021, 17:31 Can you tell me if with parallel pip4048ms the power/pv/battery charge/discharge sum? how that works?
The 230v power balances out ok , the PV chargers do not balance they simply try to keep the battery at float
I find sometimes one is supplying all the power , the other doing almost nothing until a load drops the voltage
then one or both may recalibrate stopping charging then both start working together this is where the kettle comp
from the modified software comes in as the batteries have to supply the load.
When the E-Smart 3 is across the inverter and the load is light both MPPT chargers in the inverters will be off
the E-Smart goes to about 30amps with the panels it has , if a normal cycle occurs and the inverters go to 56v
bulk (which can spike to 58v) the E-Smart will disconnect and charge the NiFe forcing the inverters to take on the
charging and powering the loads. My other system has flooded batteries it also has an E-Smart which gets on ok with
the inverter chargers this is where the new inverters are made for as flooded needs 62v bulk charge.
Squall
Noobie

Post by Squall »

paulvk wrote: Tue, 09 Nov 2021, 18:07
Squall wrote: Tue, 09 Nov 2021, 17:31 Can you tell me if with parallel pip4048ms the power/pv/battery charge/discharge sum? how that works?
The 230v power balances out ok , the PV chargers do not balance they simply try to keep the battery at float
I find sometimes one is supplying all the power , the other doing almost nothing until a load drops the voltage
then one or both may recalibrate stopping charging then both start working together this is where the kettle comp
from the modified software comes in as the batteries have to supply the load.
When the E-Smart 3 is across the inverter and the load is light both MPPT chargers in the inverters will be off
the E-Smart goes to about 30amps with the panels it has , if a normal cycle occurs and the inverters go to 56v
bulk (which can spike to 58v) the E-Smart will disconnect and charge the NiFe forcing the inverters to take on the
charging and powering the loads. My other system has flooded batteries it also has an E-Smart which gets on ok with
the inverter chargers this is where the new inverters are made for as flooded needs 62v bulk charge.
The master inverter never SUM the data like "total power output", as if is just one big inverter? And total pv power input? in one screen only?