The multimeter -- tool of many uses

Introductions, general chit chat and off-topic banter.
weber
Site Admin

Post by weber » Sat, 17 Oct 2015, 22:19

That's right. That's my beloved Fluke 87 III being used to wedge a car-seat up! Image

This photo was taken when Coulomb and I were replacing a failed charger in one of the Blade Electrons owned by Bladecar.
One of the fathers of MeXy the electric MX-5, along with Coulomb and Newton (Jeff Owen).

Adverse Effects

Post by Adverse Effects » Sat, 17 Oct 2015, 22:28

HAHAHAHAHA

coulomb
Site Admin

Post by coulomb » Sun, 18 Oct 2015, 17:56

Of course, it's well known that the iconic multimeter of a few decades ago, the venerable Avo 8, was so tough it was used as an aircraft wheel chock.

Edit: I'm not saying I'm getting old, but when I was doing electrical engineering at the University of Queensland in the late 70's, they still had some Avo 8's around, and they were prized for their accuracy, and of course their ability to stand up to the rigours of student use. They also had some more modern multimeters, even a few digital ones, I think.
Last edited by coulomb on Sun, 18 Oct 2015, 07:56, edited 1 time in total.
Nissan Leaf 2012 with new battery May 2019.
5650 W solar, 2xPIP-4048MS inverters, 16 kWh battery.
1.4 kW solar with 1.2 kW Latronics inverter and FIT.
160 W solar, 2.5 kWh 24 V battery for lights.
Patching PIP-4048/5048 inverter-chargers.

offgridQLD

Post by offgridQLD » Sun, 18 Oct 2015, 22:04

Nice one.

After getting a little tired of lugging my HP bench meter around the place for trustworthy measurements. I finally gave in and got myself a 87V for portable accuracy. Should have done it years ago. Multiple crap meters sure add up in the end.

Just for your peace of mind Weber and Coulomb. My new 87v agrees to the last digit (Hi resolution mode) with the Hp bench meter. So I think it's safe to say both your meters were calibrated ok.

Things I have noticed about the 87v in comparison to all my other inexpensive meters. Consistency or more so how fast it locks in on a reading. My other meters would float around a lot on the last few digits befor finally settling.

It's the same with the Temperature measurements. It reacts to temperature change very fast. My other meters you would have to let them sit for a little befor taking a temp reading.

Kurt
Last edited by offgridQLD on Sun, 18 Oct 2015, 11:05, edited 1 time in total.