Sealed Lead Acids at Scrap Prices (12v 65ah)

How do you store and manage your electricity?
StudentEV
Groupie

Post by StudentEV » Thu, 18 Apr 2013, 03:53

In my search for batteries for my project I've come across a contact with sealed lead acid deep cycle batteries for $20 each.

He just has to recycle them if no one buys them and he was interested in my project. Actually responded to a gumtree ad I put up asking for cheap lead acids.

Anyway, they are 12v 65ah. At the moment he has enough similar batteries to make up a 48V (4x12v) pack or a separate 72V (7x12v - one spare if you use 6) pack, so they would only suit a low power conversion. I would be buying them if I hadn't come across another source that will allow us to run higher voltage.

The catch: They were used to run a 24v security system, so two batteries in series - This means you might get one in two dud batteries, but at the price it's probably worth the gamble.

They have to maintain high capacity for obvious reasons so the batteries are changed at regular intervals and should be close to 100% original capacity.

If anyone wants the contact or knows someone who might then send me a private message.

Feel free to ask any questions.

PS I wasn't sure if I could post in the 'for sale/wanted' section so any mods feel free to move the post if it's better there
1981 Daihatsu Handi EV Conversion - Work In Progress

studentev.blogspot.com.au

acmotor

Post by acmotor » Thu, 18 Apr 2013, 08:16

Just a comment...
If you are going to devote any time to used SLAs then you need to have a load test setup.
A 65Ah SLA is likely to be 65Ah at 10 or 20 hour rate with a 1 hour capacity of around 60% of that.
You need to fully charge then load at 40A and see when it goes below 10.5V or load at 80A or 120A. These are still low loads in a low voltage EV.
A 12V to 240V inverter with 500W QI floodlights is a good load.

If the SLAs have been replaced as is typical at 50% capacity you could be down to as little as 20Ah at 1hour rate. Not very useful... but then again they could be in better condition.

Surely if someone is offering SLAs at a scrap rate then they won't mind you testing them and not taking the bad ones. The scrap value is probably not up to the $20.

I realise that cost can be an important factor, but keep in mind that the satisfaction rating of an EV with used SLAs is minimal. Even basic Lithiums will be 10 times better.

iMiEV MY12     110,230km in pure Electric and loving it !

Canberra32
Groupie

Post by Canberra32 » Thu, 18 Apr 2013, 15:19

Yes I agree.
Cheap is only good if it fills the need :)
Otherwise you might be buying ballast instead of batteries to save a few bucks.

StudentEV
Groupie

Post by StudentEV » Fri, 19 Apr 2013, 01:17

All good points!

I agree that they are not an ideal solution, but the budget for our build required cheap or free batteries. I thought someone else may have a similar project and would be stoked to have them!
1981 Daihatsu Handi EV Conversion - Work In Progress

studentev.blogspot.com.au