Disappearing names

Introductions, general chit chat and off-topic banter.
Nagaman

Disappearing names

Post by Nagaman »

I remember way back when every creek and river was signposted.
It’s like our geological history (at least in Victoria) is being gradually erased.
I miss it.
OzSpider
Groupie

Re: Disappearing names

Post by OzSpider »

Haha, who didn't stop at the Jacob's Creek sign for a photo when driving through the Barossa for the first time....
Nagaman

Post by Nagaman »

OzSpider wrote: Wed, 25 Jan 2023, 10:00 Haha, who didn't stop at the Jacob's Creek sign for a photo when driving through the Barossa for the first time....
So it’s not just Victoria ?
drlizau
Groupie

Post by drlizau »

Many years back I used to contribute to online mapping databases. Without those signs it is very difficult to put names from non-copyright sources on copyleft maps.
At the same time the ubiquitous rise and use of online maps has made the signs less necessary when calling RACV. NRMA, RAA etc to your broken down vehicle. Mistakes on major databases are now harder to correct. Even when one sends in a correction to G-world it can be accepted and later reverted. Don't try to find the Salvos in Leeton with their map.
Here in western NSW the wooden signs are consumed by termites recycling the timber and may never be replaced.
2017 Leaf 30kWh battery
2nd hand Japanese import
Solar powered as much as practical
T1 Terry

Post by T1 Terry »

In SA the creeks and river names changed from German based ones around WW2, some have change back, other say "originally"or similar and the german based name, others have become nameless and that could be because they are no longer connected to original water course and have found a new way to the connecting river .... we have one on the road from Mannum to our house locally known as "Horseshoe Bend" yet there is no horse shoe bend any more, at the moment it is flowing straight over the road and does so every heavy rain event, other than that it remains dry ..... in some spots it is called Long Gully Creek, but again, this depends on the rain fall because parts of Long Gully Rd become parts of the creek :lol:

T1 Terry
Green but want to learn
Nagaman

Post by Nagaman »

T1 Terry wrote: Sat, 28 Jan 2023, 11:16 In SA the creeks and river names changed from German based ones around WW2, some have change back, other say "originally"or similar and the german based name, others have become nameless and that could be because they are no longer connected to original water course and have found a new way to the connecting river .... we have one on the road from Mannum to our house locally known as "Horseshoe Bend" yet there is no horse shoe bend any more, at the moment it is flowing straight over the road and does so every heavy rain event, other than that it remains dry ..... in some spots it is called Long Gully Creek, but again, this depends on the rain fall because parts of Long Gully Rd become parts of the creek :lol:

T1 Terry
Perhaps it’s like sports grounds - they all end up eliminated unless it involves advertising revenue.
(I would have to think where an event is taking place when it is product branding as a substitute for geographic location)
Maybe bridges over creeks will end up being a sponsoring opportunity……..then the 51st State application is complete.
drlizau
Groupie

Post by drlizau »

Nagaman wrote: Sat, 28 Jan 2023, 13:47 Maybe bridges over creeks will end up being a sponsoring opportunity……..then the 51st State application is complete.
One clear one in my mind is a large tyre spanning the road at Yamba Quarantine Station (Sturt Highway, SA side for those who don't know it).
I have been through there a few times over many years and it always advertises one brand of tyre.
2017 Leaf 30kWh battery
2nd hand Japanese import
Solar powered as much as practical