Outlander charging indicator lamp continuing to flash after CHAdeMO fast-charge

Mitsubishi EV Interest Group
phevnev
Noobie

Outlander charging indicator lamp continuing to flash after CHAdeMO fast-charge

Post by phevnev »

Has anyone experienced or heard something like this?

I've a 2020 Outlander (AU) which has the two types of charging plugs - J1772 for AC and a CHAdeMO for DC charging.

A couple months ago had the opportunity to plug it into a DC fast charger with a CHAdeMO plug, topping up at 20KW for about 15mins. It was at around the 80% mark when it was unplugged as I needed to get going again.

I noticed though when leaving that the red charging indicator lamp on the dash was flashing so I pulled over to check the manual to see what this meant. According to the manual this light meant I was plugged in and charging! I physically inspected the plug to see if there was any obvious damage or debris but I didn't notice anything.

Given I had driven a couple hundred meters without any other issues or beeps even, I decided I'd drive the ~15kms to my next stop.

To wrap up:
  • I called the place where I charged and they hadn't heard of this problem before though I was potentially the first Outlander to use that charger
  • I've charged using the J1772 till full
  • I've discharged (as far as the battery indicators goes, ie ~30% SOC) and fully charged using the J1772
  • and, taken it to the dealership where they picked up an error code P1B02 "Quick charge current stop timeout" and cleared it
...but the dashboard charging indicator continues to flash. The dealership said, given the light continued to flash after clearing the error, to fully discharge and recharge, and if that didn't work to bring the car in (and they would likely need it for a few days :-S)

Any thoughts appreciated, I'll also keep you all posted.
Outlander 2020
Victoria
phevnev
Noobie

Re: Outlander charging indicator lamp continuing to flash after CHAdeMO fast-charge

Post by phevnev »

It's fixed!

While I'd done the full charge using the J1772 port, I thought I'd give it a go with a CHAdeMO all the way to full this time.

I guess when the CHAdeMO was unplugged that first time, the charger either doesn't, or possibly didn't have enough chance to, send a "stop" or equivalent signal to the Outlander.

I still feel though it's bug on Mitsubishi's part that once it times out itself that it doesn't reset the charge indicator lamp. It clearly has a time out as it recorded it with the "P1B02" code.

Anyway at least it's recorded here for someone to potentially to stumble upon :-)
I'll let the dealership know but yeah that may go no further than the person I speak to.
Outlander 2020
Victoria
brendon_m

Re: Outlander charging indicator lamp continuing to flash after CHAdeMO fast-charge

Post by brendon_m »

Yeah, sounds like a software glitch on Mitsubishis side. Bare minimum it should have realised you weren't plugged in when the car stated driving...
Mistoph
Noobie

Post by Mistoph »

Registered to express my thanks for the thoughts on this thread.

Had a similar issue with my Eclipse Cross PHEV this week. Was charging on a CHAdeMO plug for 15 minutes, and when I returned to the car I noticed that the locking status indicator light wasn't on, and the release switch hadn't settled in the OK position entirely.

The car has actually been charging like this, and I could pull the plug out which halted the charging process. After this I was hit with a "Charging System Maintenance Required (?)" notification and a consistently blinking red plug.

Reconnecting to the CHAdeMO charger did not initiate anything, and the charger claimed it couldn't communicate with the car.

Did what OP suggested. Charged fully at home with Type 2, went back to the charger, it connected successfully and charged. (no fault codes cleared, mind you.)

After successful disconnection, the blinking red plug code had cleared. All good now.

Thanks for sharing. This was the only thread I found with a solution that didn't require me to go to the dealer.