VIC to introduce EV and PHEV road tax

Open for any sort of non-technical discussion regarding EVs
jonescg

Re: VIC to introduce EV and PHEV road tax

Post by jonescg »

brunohill wrote: Thu, 03 Feb 2022, 13:19
drlizau wrote: Thu, 03 Feb 2022, 04:19 At this Kafkaesque point I recommend people contact their local member's office. Most bureaucrazies give in under pressure from the local member.
The local member voted in favour of the EV tax, basically telling me that if you EV free loaders with your luxury ( Nissan and Hyundai ?) cars don't like it, you should use public transport instead.
That's awful. Got it in writing so they may be publicly tarred and feathered?

And if any Australian state government actually provided some decent public transport instead of blowing our money on gargantuan motorway projects, we'd happily take up their challenge!
AEVA National President, retiring WA branch chair.
T1 Terry

Post by T1 Terry »

brunohill wrote: Thu, 03 Feb 2022, 13:19
drlizau wrote: Thu, 03 Feb 2022, 04:19 At this Kafkaesque point I recommend people contact their local member's office. Most bureaucrazies give in under pressure from the local member.
The local member voted in favour of the EV tax, basically telling me that if you EV free loaders with your luxury ( Nissan and Hyundai ?) cars don't like it, you should use public transport instead.
Wow, a politician calling anyone a free loader is a huge "pot and kettle" statement ..... certainly should be publicised to name and shame the pollie and the party he belongs to so they have to take action to distance themselves from him .... just to make sure he is on the jobless queue after the next election ...

T1 Terry
Green but want to learn
drlizau
Groupie

Post by drlizau »

Not about the tax, but the inability to pay it.
2017 Leaf 30kWh battery
2nd hand Japanese import
Solar powered as much as practical
brunohill
Groupie

Post by brunohill »

drlizau wrote: Fri, 04 Feb 2022, 17:06 Not about the tax, but the inability to pay it.
I realize that, but I am a bit reluctant to complain to this politician about it as I may get a bit upset. The comments were made to another person as I left, at a field day last year (before it had been voted on). I am sure it was deliberately said loud enough for my benefit.
They probably win more votes around here with the screw the rich EV freeloader opinion. I wonder if I can get a discount with a health care card.
Anyway I will see what happens first. Will I get an invoice or will I have my rego cancelled. I have done every thing they asked me to do.
drlizau
Groupie

Post by drlizau »

brunohill wrote: Fri, 04 Feb 2022, 17:19 I realize that, but I am a bit reluctant to complain to this politician about it as I may get a bit upset.
Your next political options are the Minister for Transport or whatever it's called this week in Victoria, or the Upper House member of the opposite political party to your member who is rostered to your district. That can be difficult to figure out.
2017 Leaf 30kWh battery
2nd hand Japanese import
Solar powered as much as practical
brunohill
Groupie

Post by brunohill »

I got a letter from VIc Roads today. I thought finally they have sent my EV tax invoice. No (surprise, surprise) it is a letter saying they they are going to suspend my registration because I have failed to submit my odometer reading and photo, which I have already attempted twice at a Vic Roads Customer Service Centre, just as they say to do. At least now I have a mailing address, so I will try submitting it a 3rd time by mail and see what happens (although the local Vic Roads people said they tried to submit it by email).

Perhaps they should get a Fax machine, the Germans still seem to use them successfully. I still have one in the shipping container out the back somewhere.

Actually just to prove I am not trying to avoid paying the EV tax, I will do my own calculation and include a Cheque.
When they send the cheque back and tell me they will send me an invoice and to pay it online (but I don't have a good enough internet connection, unless I pay Elon Musk), then I will visit the local Senator who voted for this efficient tax.
brunohill
Groupie

Post by brunohill »

navydiver
Groupie

Post by navydiver »

This topic just got a raise from VICROADS

My charge tax payment is due 2/1/2023

Email from Vic Raods

"

Notice of Intention to Suspend Vehicle Registration #######

Dear ###########,

This is your final opportunity to pay your road-user charge for vehicle ####### to avoid suspension.
"

The RED notice was rather threatening! Very unneeded as due date is more than a month away and was from a result I provided to them!

Stress. silly or just rude was my thoughts. Called and they are unable to take complaint or feed back over the phone and suggested I use a stamp!

Monty Python would be proud of them!
navydiver
Groupie

Post by navydiver »

Edit- Sorry to Vic road- One document as due date as "Your invoice must be paid by 28/11/2022 to avoid penalties."

the 2/1/2023 is the delayed warning date!
RobG
Noobie

Post by RobG »

Just found out that the 4,000 km travelled interstate the last few weeks is not exempt from Victorian EV road tax.
This seems unconstitutional because states specifically cannot impose taxes on each other.
How much of this revenue goes towards charging station infrastructure?
The ACT seems to be the most EV friendly state by taxes, maybe time to move.
Hyundai Kona LE
Mitsubishi Minicab Miev
Johny

Post by Johny »

Yes a lot of our travel towing in the PHEV involve interstate travel. It stinks!
Nagaman

Post by Nagaman »

Johny wrote: Fri, 13 Jan 2023, 19:29 Yes a lot of our travel towing in the PHEV involve interstate travel. It stinks!
They’ll all be aligned soon, and reduced ICE sales will make it inevitable. You would think the Feds will come to an arrangement to take it over if they can agree to a mutually acceptable distribution formula.
Johny

Post by Johny »

I'm in favour of a km tax on all vehicle regardless of power train with a vehicle mass multiplier thrown in.

Edit: and of course remove fuel excise
jonescg

Post by jonescg »

Johny wrote: Sat, 14 Jan 2023, 19:35 I'm in favour of a km tax on all vehicle regardless of power train with a vehicle mass multiplier thrown in.

Edit: and of course remove fuel excise
Yep, and the 'parked' cost of a vehicle's rego can be reduced, but still calculated based on vehicle mass, as it's a proxy for footprint. This would account for the non-mobile impacts of motor vehicles, like parking, lane width, and needlessly large homes where the car gets the biggest room in the house.

Many have argued that the fuel excise should remain in place as a disincentive to use an ICE vehicle. If not at the same level, then at some reduced rate.
Others have argued that there needs to be some kind of 'pollution' fee. To my mind the fuel excise covers this nicely.

My preference is to keep the fuel excise as it is. But if necessary, reduce it by half when the RUC x mass system comes in.
AEVA National President, retiring WA branch chair.
Nagaman

Post by Nagaman »

With the inevitable decline to virtual elimination of the servo of old comes the elimination of the fuel levy ?
Registration loading in order to bring about a cycling transition would be the ultimate green project.
The grey nomads are in for a shock either way I guess .
brunohill
Groupie

Post by brunohill »

Nagaman wrote: Sun, 15 Jan 2023, 06:24 The grey nomads are in for a shock either way I guess .
I don't know ? I would give an extended range E-bike and a tent a go ( and maybe the occasional Motel ), but I am not sure my wife would.
My wife is Irish and I am not sure I could repeat what she would tell me.
Last edited by brunohill on Sun, 15 Jan 2023, 07:17, edited 2 times in total.
Johny

Post by Johny »

brunohill wrote: Sun, 15 Jan 2023, 06:59
Nagaman wrote: Sun, 15 Jan 2023, 06:24 The grey nomads are in for a shock either way I guess .
I don't know ? I would give an E-bike and and a tent a go ( and maybe the occasional Motel ), but I am not sure my wife would.
Hahaha. Agreed
Nagaman

Post by Nagaman »

4 months in a tent would define the ultimate Victorian wifey.