Any Minicab MiEV owners in Melbourne?

Mitsubishi EV Interest Group
tinmancactus
Noobie

Any Minicab MiEV owners in Melbourne?

Post by tinmancactus »

Hi everyone,

I’m seriously considering getting a Minicab imported from Japan. Are there any Minicab owners in Melbourne who’d be willing to let me check out their van and ask some questions?

I’m really just wanting to see one in the flesh and find out what the experience has been like for Minicab owners.

I’m out east but happy to travel to see one.

Bryce

Re: Any Minicab MiEV owners in Melbourne?

Post by Bryce »

Hi there - I know of one, but I don't think they are a forum member here. If you can wait for a couple of weeks I can make contact to see if they are interested in chatting about it. (Am in Perth at the moment and don't have access to their email address). BTW they just had the battery upgrade from Graeme-so it now has a 220km range.
Cheers
Bryce
Current EV drive: 2019 Kona electric, 2010 iMiEV
Also in family: 2019 Renault Zoe
Past drives: 2011 Blade Getz, 2011 Leaf, 2001 Citroen Berlingo conversion
Past Conversions: DC Berlingo, AC Berlingo, AC Sprinter
rhills
Site Admin

Post by rhills »

Bryce wrote: Wed, 22 Jun 2022, 17:58 Hi there - I know of one, but I don't think they are a forum member here. If you can wait for a couple of weeks I can make contact to see if they are interested in chatting about it. (Am in Perth at the moment and don't have access to their email address). BTW they just had the battery upgrade from Graeme-so it now has a 220km range.
Cheers
Bryce
Hey @Bryce, I'd be keen to know more about that one too, particularly how the upgrade works. Could you pass on contact details to me as well if they are OK chatting about it?

TIA,
Rob Hills
AEVA Webmaster
  • 2022 Tesla M3 MIC LR
  • 2014 Mitsubishi Outlander Aspire PHEV
    Petrol Usage to last refill: Jul 2014 - Jul 2022
    Total Petrol: 889.8L
    ODO: 88417
    Av Consumption: 1.01 L/100km
tinmancactus
Noobie

Post by tinmancactus »

Bryce wrote: Wed, 22 Jun 2022, 17:58 Hi there - I know of one, but I don't think they are a forum member here. If you can wait for a couple of weeks I can make contact to see if they are interested in chatting about it. (Am in Perth at the moment and don't have access to their email address). BTW they just had the battery upgrade from Graeme-so it now has a 220km range.
Cheers
Bryce
Thanks Bryce, that would be amazing. Could you PM me once you'd had a chance to get in touch with them?

Cheers
Tim
Shaymus70
Noobie

Post by Shaymus70 »

Hey guys, just checking in. I managed to pick up a Minicab from a local seller this week and am also curious whether I'll see any others out on the road in Melbourne? If there are any other owners Id like to say Gday and chat about any upgrades theyve been able to make to the vehicle. Audio, floor carpets, anything!
Cheers
Kudra
Noobie

Post by Kudra »

Hey folks!

I haven't logged into the forum in ages, but I did have a phone conversation with Bryce not long ago and he mentioned there were some folks he had talked to keen to connect with other minicab owners in Melbourne, who I assume may be on this thread!

So, yes I'm the person Bryce mentioned earlier. I sent my 2012 minicab up to Graeme at Oz EVs at the start of this year, and he put in the upgraded battery. I'd since moved to the Latrobe Valley and it gets me in and out of the city fine - on a good day I can get all the way into central Melbourne without any top up charging! There are not a lot of charging options out this way still so the way back is a bit more constrained, but still very doable.

However in late July I had a small bingle - at least, it LOOKED like a small bingle, airbags didn't even deploy and I thought it was going to be a relatively easy fix, but almost 2 months of doing a LOT of running around, talking to a huge number of people including 4 different repairers, and the Pandora's box that seemed to be unravelling meant it got written off: it needed a huge laundry list of parts, full suspension and wiring loom replacement, plus a bunch of panels, and the risk to any shop of not getting all the parts needed in the first order (required by my policy to be new) and having it potentially sit there for multiple iterations of the 3+ months it takes to get parts from Japan for a grey import... yeah you get the idea. I learned a lot though and know who to talk to if I ever have a need for any parts replaced or another (smaller) crash.

So even though I tried REALLY hard to buy my beloved van back, the insurer said no, can't do it, and it went up on Pickles yesterday. Doug from Electric Dream Machine let ppl on a Facebook group know the bare bones of the story and asked people not to bid, so they didn't just enrich the insurance company at my expense (I would have paid a fair bit more than it went for, so I really appreciated that!) So it will head out to Doug... and while I really would prefer to repair it, I now know that there are significant risks and potentially a lot of time to even trying to repair the damage, and as it is now WOVRed the bar is higher for getting it reregistered. So I bit the bullet and got a new (second hand, also 2012) van coming from Japan, and when it arrives Doug will be transferring the upgraded battery... and I'll crossing my fingers there was no damage to it or the wiring components at the front! Both of which are possible.

Once I'm back on the road I'll be very happy to meet up with other minicab-MiEV owners locally, but it probably won't be until early next year, with shipping times from Japan currently.
RobG
Noobie

Post by RobG »

Late to this party.
I have just taken delivery of a 2017 U68V HLDDA bought from Mono Moto.
Not registered it yet, but it is located in SE Melbourne suburbs if anyone wants to get up close and compare with the U67.
I am keen to learn more about the van, particularly the servicing of it.
I already have a Hyundai Kona Electric, but I really like the idea having a small van as a practical city runabout.
I just stuck an XTOOL D7 scan tool on the OBD2 port and the SOH seems quite low for 16,000 km (35 Ah) but it probably needs a few charge cycles after long storage.
Regards,
Rob

Edit: I misread the scan tool, the last 5 battery capacity measurement logs are 48.5 Ah.