2022 ZS EV - Quick Guide

MG EV Interest Group
Samstain
Groupie

2022 ZS EV - Quick Guide

Post by Samstain »

Picked up our new updated (2022) ZS EV earlier in the week. Still discovering 'quirks/features' with the car - and expect we will be for some months yet. Though I would start a quick guide for any future owners:

Cruise control not working: Check if the indicator between the lock/unlock buttons in the drivers door is flashing - if it is the, boot probably isn't latched properly.

App not binding: If you have trouble binding, set the cars time to Sydney (to match the mothership), bind, make up a password (it isn’t clear that they want you to make one, I was waiting for the screen to show one), then return time to your local area. It would be nice if they had an Adelaide time zone in the future.

Supplied charger is 8A. It does come with a 3 phase 11 kW onboard charger, which will also run 32A single phase.

My ‘around the suburbs’ driving has been about 150Wh/km so far. Will test the 110km efficiency when I get a chance.

Seems you need to push the brakes pretty hard once stationary at the lights to get the motor to stop trying to hold position - unless it’s just a software bug? I often found the display reads 15-20% motor power when stationary with the brakes lightly applied, when pushed a bit harder it would go to zero.

The onboard 240v inverter is pretty cool.

Love the fact the speedo is spot on - GPS based I assume. Sick of trying to remember the Speedo ‘error’ when swapping between my old car and the wife’s, one over reads by about 5%, the other about 12% - which is a lot of wasted time if you are doing a few hours of highway driving.

Things to still research:
Are the floor mats identical to the pre update ones?
Find a good frunk for the assorted charge cables.

Will add more as I find them.....
Last edited by Samstain on Thu, 03 Nov 2022, 19:28, edited 5 times in total.
2022 MG ZS EV
OpenEVSE
Nagaman

Re: 2022 ZS EV - Quick Guide

Post by Nagaman »

An atheist product in the city of churches ? It’s probably a conspiracy :lol:
Samstain
Groupie

Post by Samstain »

Updated first post with fix for app binding, added notes on efficient & charging etc.
2022 MG ZS EV
OpenEVSE
Samstain
Groupie

Post by Samstain »

About 2000km in now.

Managed to do some extended 110km/hr driving on the weekend with a stiff head wind - having someone punch a hole in the air for you makes a big difference.

Without a head wind, @110, they should do about 20kWh/10km.

With a ~25kmhr headwind I was at about 23kWh/100.

Radar cruise on behind a Territory, still at 110 - 112, we were down to 19.

Behind a Semi @103, we were down to 16 - which matches our 'round town' consumption

and finally behind B-double which must have been at max height and doing 97, we were down to 13 kWh/100

The app has been a bit hit and miss the last week or so (seems to be server side as everyone is reporting the same lack of connection), hopefully they are working on implementing the missing features.

The boot latch could do with a bit of a tweak, it need a good slam to consistently shut, if not, you get stuck in no-mans-land, where you have to push it shut with enough force to trigger the latch in to thinking it is shut, so that you can open it and have another go at it - would not be easy for someone who is short or has any mobility issues.

The state of charge is not as accurate I I would have though it should be. Twice now I have come in to work at ~30% full, put in 10 to 15kWh on a AC charger (20 to 30%) and it will still be stating it is 31 or 32% full, check short while later and suddenly it will have caught up and be 60 or 80%.

Other than those few minor issues, it is all going well.
2022 MG ZS EV
OpenEVSE