PHEV app Compatible Phone

Mitsubishi EV Interest Group
crustovich
Groupie

PHEV app Compatible Phone

Post by crustovich »

Having had no luck connecting the wifi app to my 2014 PHEV in recent years, I finally asked Brighton Mitsubishi if they could help me pair my phone. They claimed the older PHEVs will not pair with newer phones.
Is this true, and if so, does anyone have their 2014 PHEV paired with the app, and with what phone (android)?

Thanks

Adrian
MY14.5 Artic silver Outlander Aspire PHEV
answers to the name "Pheeves"
Running off 5.2kw Solar array (and the odd tree)
zzcoopej
Groupie

Re: PHEV app Compatible Phone

Post by zzcoopej »

I last paired the Genuine Mitsubishi App with a Realme X3 running Android 12
2010 iMiEV
2015 PHEV Aspire
Battery App EvBatMon for PHEV & iMiEV iOS(iPhone,iPad)& Android
www.EvPositive.com
TCryptos
Groupie

Post by TCryptos »

Having had no luck connecting the wifi app to my 2014 PHEV..
Does the phone see the car's access point?
crustovich
Groupie

Post by crustovich »

Yes, the phone sees the access point but doing the "Pairing dance" just times out. Get only one beep so no other phones are paired to it.
TCryptos
Groupie

Post by TCryptos »

Has your wifi module had the factory recall upgrade that will have resulted in a new, longer password (and do you know the new password)?
crustovich
Groupie

Post by crustovich »

Not sure about the factory recall upgrade (it has been regularly serviced by Brighton Mitsubishi since new).
When would that have been done and is there any way of telling if it has been done?
TCryptos
Groupie

Post by TCryptos »

When would that have been done and is there any way of telling if it has been done?
It was a couple (?) of years ago. There was a security issue that the recall was supposed to fix - the module was replaced.
You (if the owner at the time) should have been given the new wifi password collecting the car.

The dealer can use their scan tool to extract the current wifi password. They should have records of recall work done on the car.
crustovich
Groupie

Post by crustovich »

Thanks for the info, I will check with the dealer. Cheers
crustovich
Groupie

Post by crustovich »

Just an update:

Took the car back to the dealership, they required the car for the day. I gave them my original Passcode so they could check if it has changed.
Unfortunately, I couldn't pick it up (my partner did).

The notes on the Job sheet stated:
"Customer keeps getting incorrect password for SSID system - please obtain code to enable system to work"

"Installed radio 4-digit passcode (0000) successfully for mobile phone operation. Checked SSID system and enabled the system to work, with ability to do time-delay battery charging, remote pre-heating of the cabin and other features"

there was also a handwritten note stating: "Need to control it via settings on the facia of the radio unit"

$141.00 for the work completed

It sounds like they are getting the Bluetooth system and the WIFI systems confused, the 4-digit passcode is Bluetooth, though they talk about the SSID which is the WIFI system?

I have tried WIFI registering my VIN with my current phone and my old phone with the new app and the old one and still no luck.

I will contact them again on Monday, though I have not been able to talk directly to the technician who works on it, just relayed through one of the office staff. very frustrating!
TCryptos
Groupie

Post by TCryptos »

Sounds like the typical poor communication stuff up that routinely happens, but certainly shouldn't.

If it helps, I found the record of my car's wifi module recall upgrade. It was in 5/2018 and the new password format is a 14 character string containing characters from A-Z, a-z and 0-9.
shallowal
Groupie

Post by shallowal »

Your original question is confusing. You dont 'Pair' a device with Wifi, that's a bluetooth function.
If you have an iPhone you could well strike problems Pairing with Bluetooth on older systems.
Connecting with Wifi is a different matter. The only consistent problem that I am aware of is if you have restricted access on your phone to only connecting on 5GHz and not 2.4GHz. Would be an unusual action to take however. There can also be problems with the older security protocols (or lack of), but pretty rare. If the service tech connected Ok, then he's probably using a late model phone anyway.
crustovich
Groupie

Post by crustovich »

I believe the Tech was confused between the 2 protocols.
He definitely connected his phone with Bluetooth as his phone was listed on the MMCU.
I have no problems connecting to the Bluetooth myself. It gives you phone and media functionality.

The WIFI is used to connect to the app on your phone so you can control the charging and interior environment ect.
The car acts as a WIFI hub and the phone connects directly to it (not through a router) so it does not indicate whether it is 2.5 or 5Ghz (I assume 2.5GHz)
Either way, it used to work fine up until about 4 years ago, since then it refuses to connect stating an incorrect password.

I get the impression from my dealer that it is an old car (old technology) and they would prefer I bought a new one rather than fix this one.
TCryptos
Groupie

Post by TCryptos »

Either way, it used to work fine up until about 4 years ago, since then it refuses to connect stating an incorrect password.
Which makes sense, as bout 4 years ago is when the wifi module should have been replaced as part of the recall program, and the original password would thereafter be incorrect.

Is the password you have a 14 character string?
crustovich
Groupie

Post by crustovich »

No, It's the original 10-character string.

The dealership claims to know nothing about the recall or password change.
TCryptos
Groupie

Post by TCryptos »

The dealership claims to know nothing about the recall or password change.
Well, that's ... odd. They should still be able to retrieve the current password though, and isn't that what you just paid for?

Otherwise MMAL themselves should have a record of all recall work done on the car, as they pay for it.
Do you receive recall notices from MMAL, like the recent-ish one about the 12V auxiliary battery?
crustovich
Groupie

Post by crustovich »

The only correspondence I have had from MMAL (I did a search of my email) has been service reminders, new car ads, and, in response to my "ask an expert", a direction to attend my dealership who could retrieve and/or reset my WIFI Password!
No recall info.
rhills
Site Admin

Post by rhills »

@crustovich, I got one of those very old fashioned things about ours. What do you call them again? Oh yes, a letter! The sort that come on paper, in an envelope! I normally get service reminders via email.
Rob Hills
AEVA Webmaster
  • 2022 Tesla M3 MIC LR
  • 2014 Mitsubishi Outlander Aspire PHEV
    Petrol Usage to last refill: Jul 2014 - Jul 2022
    Total Petrol: 889.8L
    ODO: 88417
    Av Consumption: 1.01 L/100km
TCryptos
Groupie

Post by TCryptos »

The only correspondence I have had from MMAL ...
Has your vehicle had any of the various recall procedures carried out then? There have been a few over the years.