MINI SE 2022 - Slow DC Charge

BMW EV Interest Group
dmnACT
Noobie

MINI SE 2022 - Slow DC Charge

Post by dmnACT »

Hi all

Just checking whether any MINI SE owners here have problems charging at the stated 45-50kW DC charging speed. Our June 2022 MINI Electric has failed to charge at the DC after its first charge of the day. After driving for 140-150km, to recharge the MINI, the speed will drop to 22-12kW. No problems with AC charge (with our experience so far). A BMW/MINI executive told me that as stated in the manual, that slow charge happens, as the car and battery is too hot after the drive. It's winter in Australia (Canberra) since we started driving the car. We've done our research via reviews and YouTube videos before purchasing the car and has never heard of the problem. The most extreme and frustrating experience was to charge from 2%-100% (29kWh) and it took 2hrs 41mins. Since day one that we've owned the car, it has never been able to do a back to back DC charge at MINI's stated speed.

To worsen the issue, the power drops significantly after the charge. The MINI Garage has attempted to repair the vehicle to no effect.

We know the short range MINI is not designed for long trips, but not being able to do the very least of 2 back to back DC charging just sounds ludicrous.

Really appreciate to hear from fellow MINI EV users on their experience.

Cheers.

[ Edited Coulomb: Fixed some kWh → kW, I hope I got them right. ]
lobster
Groupie

Re: MINI SE 2022 - Slow DC Charge

Post by lobster »

Hi dmnACT,

You may get help on this miniEVforum linked below.

https://www.minievforum.com/threads/max ... rate.1195/

Cheers, Steve
dmnACT
Noobie

Re: MINI SE 2022 - Slow DC Charge

Post by dmnACT »

Thanks Steve for the link.

To which it exactly explains the problem with our MINI. We've always pick the 50kW over the 350kW chargers. After the failed charge rate, we actually carry the 'chart' of the charging speed with us to see how far our vehicle is on track or gone behind.

I hope we are an isolated class and not some flaw that early adopters of MINI Electric drivers put up with.