Britain’s unaffordable charging network

News, Press Release, Insider info & EV Promotion Related
Nagaman

Britain’s unaffordable charging network

Post by Nagaman »

Osprey, one of the largest, has raised its charging price to £1\kwh ($A1.71) which is a reflection on the state of European energy prices currently. This doesn’t make the network particularly profitable, more an indication of just how lucky we are.
They DO pledge to pass on reductions as soon as possible however: Modern Heroes - https://youtu.be/PoVOgm1GPKI
coulomb
Site Admin

Re: Britain’s unaffordable charging network

Post by coulomb »

Ouch. I thought our local supermarket chargers were expensive at AU$0.50/kWh. But I'm coming to realise that this is quite reasonable for unsubsidised commercial EV energy.

I was talking recently to someone who works for Energex (the South East Queensland energy distributor). He said that they intend to put on something like 12% more staff year on year to keep up with the present demands, most of which are due to electric vehicles. Even residential cables may need to be dug up and replaced with thicker cables. That has to add upward pressure to electricity prices. Still cheaper than Planet B, though.
MG ZS EV 2021 April 2021.
Nissan Leaf 2012 with new battery May 2019.
5650 W solar, 2xPIP-4048MS inverters, 16 kWh battery.
1.4 kW solar with 1.2 kW Latronics inverter and FIT.
Patching PIP-4048/5048 inverter-chargers.
Nagaman

Post by Nagaman »

….and just more proof that profitability will be the only way it can be relied on by the new world motorists.
In comparison, Level 2 home charging is like cheating.
T1 Terry

Post by T1 Terry »

With the number of houses that have solar on the roof, I don't understand why people are paying to recharge their EV.

With the V2H becoming available, setting up a solar array with the voltage that would charge the EV, why not use it as the main house energy storage and build a battery from tired EV cells to act as the storage while the vehicle wasn't at home .....

Getting inverters that will handle the higher EV pack voltages we are seeing these days is an issue at the moment ... not so much the inverters themselves, but getting them in a format that can be linked to build the supply capability ..... I have a few irons in the fire regarding this, both inverters that can handle around 300vdc and methods of charging a 48v nom. battery using the EV battery .......

T1 Terry
Green but want to learn
Nagaman

Post by Nagaman »

The ones ‘paying’ don’t have our relatively common luxury of off street parking……let alone a garage/carport.
Australia should be the home of EVs in more ways than just driving them.
drlizau
Groupie

Post by drlizau »

I understand that the Japanese have an alternate solution
https://www.reinventingparking.org/2014 ... e-has.html
where if you want to register your car you need to have somewhere off street to park it.
2017 Leaf 30kWh battery
2nd hand Japanese import
Solar powered as much as practical