BYD EV Interest Group
coulomb
Site Admin

BYD Yuan Plus Atto 3 small SUV

Post by coulomb »

BYD Yuan Plus electric SUV locked in for Australia

but then

BYD Yuan Plus delayed for Australia

In the second article, BYD seem to be on the defensive.
MG ZS EV 2021 April 2021.
Nissan Leaf 2012 with new battery May 2019.
5650 W solar, 2xPIP-4048MS inverters, 16 kWh battery.
1.4 kW solar with 1.2 kW Latronics inverter and FIT.
Patching PIP-4048/5048 inverter-chargers.
reecho

Re: BYD Yuan Plus small SUV

Post by reecho »

sleeperpservice
Groupie

Re: BYD Yuan Plus small SUV

Post by sleeperpservice »

Being released here as the Atto 3

Keen pricing but not as cheap as people were expecting I presume. From $44k before on roads.

https://www.whichcar.com.au/news/byd-at ... -announced

One thing is a bit odd is the range of the 2 versions. Does the car suddenly become more efficient with the bigger battery?

50kWh - 320km - 15.6kWh/100km
60kWh - 420km - 14.3kWh/100km

That should be 380km for the larger battery going by smaller ones consumption.

Also the charging speed is a bit odd. 80kW but 90 mins to charge. Must be from 0 to 100 but an extremely slow top end. Worse than Ioniq here really.
g4qber

Re: Facelift model confirmed for Q3 in Australia

Post by g4qber »

5BF4E9D9-7E1D-4A87-A0A2-406BA9CD413E.png
5BF4E9D9-7E1D-4A87-A0A2-406BA9CD413E.png (396.63 KiB) Viewed 2692 times
Atto has rake n reach on steering wheel
2021 Model 3 PW MIC RWD FSD - Mon 28 Jun ‘21 - k kms 89
2021 Kia Niro EV Sport - k kms 22

2009 Tango - http://www.evalbum.com/211
Aptera
Cybertruck
On order

Past EVs
2011 i-MiEV
2012 Volt
2014 i3 REx
2014 Model S
2020 FRERWD
KlinkPC
Groupie

Re: BYD Yuan Plus Atto 3 small SUV

Post by KlinkPC »

Very good look at the Atto 3:

https://youtu.be/kPpBF1f5xB4
FyKnight
Groupie

Post by FyKnight »

From the PoV of a current MG ZS EV owner I went to the Sydney showroom today to look at both the Atto 3 (Yuan plus) for myself and the Atto 2 (Dolphin) for my partner.

(They're not taking orders for the Atto 2 yet, expect to do that in about July I believe. The car on display has a fixed sunroof with a movable shade. Tiny bonnet. Great space in the back.)

The Atto 3 is taking orders now with a refunadble deposit. Test drives around May when the first 47 vehicles will come into the country for this purpose. Order now for delivery around August for Sydney through Mycar in Chatswood, though they might expand the locations given the demand. Anecdotally (i.e. from assessment of salesman there on the day, not official numbers) more than the initial 500 slots are thought to have been taken.

I had several technical questions about the vehicle that I thought others might be interested in the answers to:

- Boot dimensions are about 95 cm wide x 75 cm deep at the bottom. The sides rise pretty vertically. Same dimensions under the boot shelf (which can be put in two different positions). This is bigger than the MG ZS EV.

- It has V2L with an adapter that plugs into the Type 2 plug. Other end of adapter is a GPO socket. Adapter has 10A written on it, so it seems there must be at least a 2.4 kW inverter in there.

- The CCS2 implementation will support V2G according to the salesman (Dan)

- Towing is currently being tested to get an Australian rating. They are expecting 1250 to 1300 kg for a braked trailer, maybe up to 1500 kg. Awesome!

- Roof rails also being rated for racking. They want to one up the MG ZS EV and so do better than its 75 kg rating.

- The LiFePO4 (LFP) battery chemistry allows a relatively flat charging profile with no worries about leaving at 100% nor discharging to 0%. Compared to the Li-Ion in the MY2020 MG ZS EV that tapers off quite quickly from 70 kW.

- Thought to be a deal with Telstra for the SIM for 3 years. This will allow OTA updates and app connectivity. Unsure if locked to Telstra (that would be bad)

- Infotainment screen doesn't seem to be able to detach easily.

- Claim that the CCS2 connector will be able to fit in upright in the charging door... I am sceptical about this though. Charging port above the front right wheel is an ideal location near the OBC for shorter cable runs (unlike the MG ZS EV that has to wrap the cable around the radiator). It's a small saving but for fast DC charging at 200 A it probably does make a difference in power loss.

- When the rear seats are down, there is a practically no bump between the boot (with shelf in the raised position) and the back seats. There is a slight rise up the seat back, seems to be slighter than the MG ZS EV. I think it'd be pretty good to sleep on for car camping... but there were too many people in the showroom for me to dare to climb in there :P

- Still plenty of space under the bonnet for a frunk, though there are 3 black steel cross bars that would get in the way a bit.

- There is no 12V battery visible under the bonnet. Salesman said it did have a 12V battery that he thought was in the boot, though none of us was able to locate it. (Also... the Atto2 bonnet is so small that I cannot see how a 12V battery would even fit through there...)

- Regenerative braking has two modes, and the stronger one is said to be pretty close to one-pedal driving.

Thanks to Gabe (a fan and future customer) who knew a lot about the car and able to answer many of my questions today while the salesman was busy.

I might go back at a less busy time for another look, if anyone has anything they'd like me to ask reply here and I'll see what they say.

Edit: Oh, one more thing: Android Auto and Apple CarPlay is not currently present but I was told it's expected around September. I'd be happy with just the 'second screen' approach that they currently have, because those APIs are very restrictive.
g4qber

Post by g4qber »

@FyKnight
Please find out if it is 22kW 3 phase AC charging.

Aptera
Cybertruck
On order

Past EVs
2011 i-MiEV
2012 Volt
2014 i3 REx
2014 Model S
2020 FRERWD
KlinkPC
Groupie

Post by KlinkPC »

Hi Joseph
from https://www.chasingcars.com.au/news/new ... australia/
"Those with access to three-phase power will be able to charge the Atto 3 at up to 11kW using an AC wallbox, which is quicker than speeds offered by a Jaguar I-Pace which is limited to 7.4kW on two-phase power. "
g4qber

Post by g4qber »

https://www.carsguide.com.au/car-news/n ... h-for-audi
New I-Pace can do 11kW AC.

Lo "2 phase power."

Aptera
Cybertruck
On order

Past EVs
2011 i-MiEV
2012 Volt
2014 i3 REx
2014 Model S
2020 FRERWD
FyKnight
Groupie

Post by FyKnight »

Good one, I'll ask about the 3 phase AC charging. I had heard it was only 11 kW somewhere. Actually I'll see if I there are some specs on the OBC, it'll probably have a label. (Though the model we eventually receive might be different of course)
Chuq
Groupie

Post by Chuq »

FyKnight wrote: Sun, 20 Mar 2022, 20:41 - Claim that the CCS2 connector will be able to fit in upright in the charging door... I am sceptical about this though.
It sounds like suggest the CCS connector may be placed horizontally? This isn't something I've considered as being an issue before. My current EV isn't CCS, so have limited experience, but isn't the connector designed for the downward weight of the cable to be in a specific direction (i.e. when plugged into a socket that is rotated 90 degrees, the cable sticks out from the side, rather than down)? And ergonomically, isn't it designed to be held with the connector in it's usual orientation?
Last edited by Chuq on Tue, 22 Mar 2022, 20:28, edited 1 time in total.
FyKnight
Groupie

Post by FyKnight »

I'd prefer it in the usual orientation too but I don't think it'd be an issue (mechanically) having the connector sideways. Plenty of times I've used a DC charger the cable has had to be pulled around to reach so there ends up being more force horizontally on the connector than vertically. (e.g. Coffs Harbour ultra rapid) It's a pretty chunky unit, she'll be right.
AlessandroPez
Noobie

Post by AlessandroPez »

If the charging is anything like the BYD T3, it will be incredible.

The T3 with a 45kw pack at a DCFC in my own experiences will pull 54Kw from 10-80% and still pull >25Kw until almost 100%, I drive from Forster in NSW to Newcastle and mostly charge at the Chargefox DCFC in Karuah, fromm 9-100% last time took me 50 minutes.

Assuming the ATTO3 has the same Blade pack I'm sure the charging times will be great. In comparison to the Nissan E-nv200 which is relatively quick unto 80% but tapers off quickly to <10Kw.
FyKnight
Groupie

Post by FyKnight »

I finally went back to the BYD Experience center today after seeing a checkin on PlugShare by a BYD Atto 3 in Sydney last week (Ampol Northmead, check it out!). Apparently it must have been a reviewer because I was told the first customer delivery was in the Gold Coast only this week.

The demo car in the store is the same Chinese-model Yuan as before, but there was a real Atto 3 in the parking lot next door (where they installed 15 Type 2 chargers!) which I was allowed to play around with. It was a bit awkward when the (I assume) purchasing customer turned up to collect it though hahaha. The demo one has held up surprisingly well for having a million people poking and prodding at it.

So, differences in the Atto 3 from the Yuan: Obviously, it's type 2 CCS. They fitted the plug into the same area no worries, I shouldn't have been concerned about it.

There is now a 12 V battery under the bonnet. Definitely not there on the Yuan. The Atto 3 also doesn't have the black steel bars across the bonnet area, so a frunk is more do-able.

The wheels are different, with a metallic look rather than a plasticy look. The white version has silver trim in the quarter panel rather than the black plasticy one on the Yuan.

The V2L has a combo AU and US socket from a confirmed 2.5 kW inverter. The dongle looks different to the one I saw last time (smaller).

The salesman Lachlan claimed the supplied BYD-branded granny charger (which is heaps smaller than any other I've seen) is a real 10 amps for 2.5 kW, rather than actually 8 A / 2 kW, but I'll believe it when I see it.

Apple CarPlay / Android Auto still not yet available (October apparently)

The rated efficiency is 14.x kWh/100 km, I can't remember the x. But it's better than the MG ZS EV.

The tow bar (also available soon) will let you tow a 750 kg braked / 700 kg unbraked trailer.

He didn't know about the roof racks but I saw in their FAQ online that they've been rated at just 50 kg. (Not as good as the MG ZS EV's 75 kg, a bit disappointing)

They have started doing test drives this week.

The OBC, yes, how could I forget! It's single phase, 7 kW max. I couldn't find it in the car to confirm this or current/voltage ranges, which I'd really like to know. It looks like it could be combined in the same box with the motor inverter? That box is covered with black padding (maybe sound proofing?) with only a couple of labels visible. Perhaps the OBC is hidden elsewhere nearer the charging port though.

Boot dimensions in cm ZS EV (2020 model) vs Atto 3
Width of entrance above/below parcel shelf: 102 vs 98 (so the Atto 3 is smaller... this is because of the 'power struts' that take up more space on the edges)
Width of entrance at boot light: 105 vs 97
Back of centre console to boot door: 165 vs 176 (the Atto 3 is handily longer here, great for bulky items)
Windscreen to boot door: 290 vs 300
Passenger footwell to boot door: 302 vs 308 (maybe a bit more, had to rush this one)
Distance between roof rails at middle/back: 100/97 vs 103/103 (Atto 3 rails are straight)

So it's longer inside which is great for DIYers like me who often want to take 3 m tubes or timbers from hardware stores.
But it isn't wide enough for a 1 m wide item... the only disappointment... I use that width for sheet materials surprisingly often in the ZS EV. And the weaker roof rails would limit what I can put up there. (I always avoid them if I can as I don't want to pay the efficiency penalty)

OK that's about all I can remember, sorry for another wall of text but hopefully someone will find it useful :) I have a few photos of the parts I've described here and will upload if there's interest.

(Oh and tangentially, @AlessandroPez, it was great to bump into you and the e-NV200 in Taree a little while ago — had to happen one day, just surprised it wasn't in Karuah!)
Fixit
Noobie

Post by Fixit »

Has Anyone Found Where The Sim Is? Or Is It An eSim? I don't think that the 1 Gb of Data a month will last too long, No details on what the cost of the top is or who the provider is