EV Insurance

For West Australian Members of the AEVA
Forum rules
All may view this forum, only AEVA Members may post here.
roddilkes
Groupie

EV Insurance

Post by roddilkes »

Has anyone got a hot tip for EV insurance in WA?
My Model 3, 2019 is insured with RAC and was $711 in 2019, now $1050. No claims.
brendon_m

Re: EV Insurance

Post by brendon_m »

I'm with SGIO for my converted moke and outlander PHEV. Both for a good price but my Imiev is expensive with everyone including SGIO, so for it I use RAC (being the least worst option)
sleeperpservice
Groupie

Post by sleeperpservice »

Have been looking at insurance costs if we have to upgrade our car so I tried a couple of sites for a 2019 M3 SR+, no claims and 15k kms per year and RACWA came out cheapest but at $1276.
youi wanted to talk to me for a quote and after some time it came out as $2500, $850 excess with no add-ons like reduced windscreen excess, hire car etc. I'd save yourself the trouble if you want a quote from them. The guy could not explain why the Tesla quote is that high, said it was nought to do with driver profiles.
A brand new Ioniq5 AWD came out at $767 on RAC minus 100 for the first year.
I don't understand insurance pricing as our Ioniq was cheaper to insure than our outgoing 15 year old Mazda.
LORAX
Groupie

Post by LORAX »

Coming up to my annual review, but two years back when I looked into it, our Hyundi Kona EV was cheapest with our existing insurer RACWA who we have been with for long time and happy with. Insurance cost was almost half the cost of our 10 year old Hyundai Sante Fe (valued at $12K). Sometimes where the vehicle is housed changes the price - we got a credit on our car insurance for our car we now have garaged at our regional home.

Just checked our premium last Oct was $629 for $70K value. Online check just now for $70K, insurance is $710 with $1K excess and $100 discount - mind you I also get member discount of 7.5%. So in one calendar year gone up ~$80.
Lorax
Environmental sports car alternative that speaks for the trees.

"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not." Dr Seuss