I've got my Kona

Hyundai and Kia Interest Group
gfreddo
Noobie

Re: I've got my Kona

Post by gfreddo »

I would like to share my recent experience. I have been researching EVs for the last few years and I finally made the plunge in the EV world. So on Tuesday 11/2/2020 ordered a Kona at Doncaster Hyundai expecting delivery in 3 to 6 months but I drove away in a Pulse Red Kona on last Friday 21/2/2020.

Further to my surprise the model has compliance plate 2020 and also the new 10'' screen (buttons at the bottom) so I soon realised I have the upgrade model still to check if its charges any faster than 7kw.. I am now enjoying my first EV and love it. I will now be spreading the word about EVs in the most effective way .. Hands on

To borrow a car reference "Still feeling it"
EVdownUnder
Groupie

Post by EVdownUnder »

Welcome to the EV world and particularly the fantastic Kona.
It is great to hear that you have a brand-new 2020 car, as I drive regularly pass the Doncaster dealer and have seen a white one and a blue one at the front for the last few months. I was afraid they would have stock of the 2019 to exhaust first.
I wasn't aware of the 2020 model having a faster onboard charger? Please come back and share your experience.
The other thing I would love to know if improved, have they implemented position memory seat? And more importantly, is the lane keep assist better? On mine it seems not as good as I've seen from European models on YouTube.
2014 Dark blue G-edition Nissan Leaf
2022 Galactic grey AWD Hyundai Ioniq 5
2019 Ceramic blue Hyundai Kona Highlander - Sold
Aptera and Savic reservation holder
Peter C in Canberra

Post by Peter C in Canberra »

gfreddo wrote: Mon, 24 Feb 2020, 08:02 ... still to check if its charges any faster than 7kw...
I think you would need to go to a type 2 charge outlet that has three phase for sure to test it with a type 2 to type 2 cable that connects all three phases. The rumour was that they might do 32A on all three phases for 22kW (7kW still on a single phase supply) or they might do 15A on all three for 11kW (but only 3.6kW on a single phase supply, which would be a backwards step for most locations)
Daihatsu charade conversion 2009-18, Mitsubishi iMiEV 2013-2019, Holden Volt 2018-2019, Hyundai Kona 2019-2023, Hyundai Ioniq 5 2023-present on the ACT's 100% renewable electricity.
syntaxfx
Groupie

Post by syntaxfx »

I've been told by the dealer that only the EU will get the 11kW charger. Apparently, we're still getting the 7.2kW as before.
Cheers,
Phil
Cheers,
Phil
2020 Kona Electric Highlander - White + sunroof
Peter C in Canberra

syntaxfx wrote: Tue, 25 Feb 2020, 15:20 I've been told by the dealer that only the EU will get the 11kW charger. Apparently, we're still getting the 7.2kW as before.
Cheers,
Phil
That makes sense. In Europe there is more 3 phase AC charging all the way along streets, so 3 phase at 15A is both a bit more useful to the driver and won't risk unbalancing the local grid. Here, electric cars are few and far between and more often charged on private premises from single phase supplies.
Daihatsu charade conversion 2009-18, Mitsubishi iMiEV 2013-2019, Holden Volt 2018-2019, Hyundai Kona 2019-2023, Hyundai Ioniq 5 2023-present on the ACT's 100% renewable electricity.
gfreddo
Noobie

Post by gfreddo »

Thanks for the feedback and discussion. We decided to go for the elite model so only manual adjustment seat. I intend to get type 2 to type 2 cable, being in Gippsland I hope to visit Lakes Entrance as they only have 22 kw AC outlet at the RSL. So I will test out the charging rate. Not that impressed with LKA but perhaps it needs some adjustment at 1st service.
Bryce

Post by Bryce »

Hi there - my experience of Lane Keep Assist, having driven a Kona electric for nearly 18,000km now, is that it is truly awful. It ping-pongs between lane markings and desperately tries to steer me through potholes on country roads.

It only took me a few hundred kms of driving to find the 'off' button. (Annoyingly, you can't turn it off permanently ... or even permanently set it to only beep ... so I now have the start-up procedure of (a) start the car, (b) turn off the LKA, THEN (c) select gear and drive off ....)

Otherwise - Kona electric is a brilliant day-to-day driver that fully replaces ICE. Have done multiple interstate trips via DC fast-chargers and found it does not slow me down as compared to my old fossil car. I also definitely do not miss the weekly visit to petrol stations, plus enjoy not being at the mercy of the ridiculous fuel price cycle. (EV owners have a nice regular price cycle to plan their 'refueling'. i.e. the off-peak rates at night or the weekend :-) )

Cheers
Bryce
Current EV drive: 2019 Kona electric, 2010 iMiEV
Also in family: 2019 Renault Zoe
Past drives: 2011 Blade Getz, 2011 Leaf, 2001 Citroen Berlingo conversion
Past Conversions: DC Berlingo, AC Berlingo, AC Sprinter
Peter C in Canberra

Bryce wrote: Wed, 26 Feb 2020, 07:04 ...my experience of Lane Keep Assist, having driven a Kona electric for nearly 18,000km now, is that it is truly awful. It ping-pongs between lane markings and desperately tries to steer me through potholes on country roads....
Really? I like it. I find it quite subtle and progressive. I just drive as I would if it were not there. I find it only becomes intrusive when I would want it to be when my attention has lapsed briefly and I have drifted a bit close to the edge of the lane. Sometimes, such as on long sweeping curves, I am barely aware how much I steered vs the assist. I have no problem steering contrary to the LKA's inclination when I want to.
syntaxfx
Groupie

Post by syntaxfx »

I hadn't seen a Kona Electric on the road until today. Then I saw two in the space of couple of hours.
Most encouraging.
Now I'm just waiting for Hyundai to build mine. May be late now that parts are a problem. Something about wiring looms. EV's don't really need wiring looms, do they??? ;)
Cheers,
Phil
2020 Kona Electric Highlander - White + sunroof
g4qber

Post by g4qber »

@Peter C in Canberra
Please provide a pic of your type 2 to 1 adaptor
Thanks.
2021 Model 3 PW MIC RWD FSD - Mon 28 Jun ‘21 -
k kms 17x
2009 Tango - http://www.evalbum.com/211
Aptera
Cybertruck
On order

Past EVs
2011 i-MiEV
2012 Volt
2014 i3 REx
2014 Model S
2020 FRERWD
Peter C in Canberra

evse-charger-j1772-to-iec62196-32A-type001.jpg
evse-charger-j1772-to-iec62196-32A-type001.jpg (130.7 KiB) Viewed 1579 times
g4qber

Post by g4qber »

@Peter C in Canberra
What about the adaptor that you use for the volt so that you can charge on Tesla HPWCes?
2021 Model 3 PW MIC RWD FSD - Mon 28 Jun ‘21 -
k kms 17x
2009 Tango - http://www.evalbum.com/211
Aptera
Cybertruck
On order

Past EVs
2011 i-MiEV
2012 Volt
2014 i3 REx
2014 Model S
2020 FRERWD
Peter C in Canberra

g4qber wrote: Wed, 22 Jul 2020, 07:17 @Peter C in Canberra
What about the adaptor that you use for the volt so that you can charge on Tesla HPWCes?
I don't think I have a picture. I included it when I sold my Volt. It had an ordinary type one plug connected to a type 2 socket by a short length of cable.
LORAX
Groupie

Post by LORAX »

So excited to be reading all your posts.
Ordered my ceramic blue highlander on Monday ... now have to wait at least 3 months for it to arrive.
We will be doing the Perth to Bridgetown drive fortnightly so particularly loving your range stories, although will be interesting to see how it goes for the Donnybrook to Bridgetown long sweeping hills section!

Can't wait to "show and tell".
Lorax
Environmental sports car alternative that speaks for the trees.

"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not." Dr Seuss
brunohill

Post by brunohill »

Well my Kona turned up today. It took 8 weeks to get it 250 km up the Hume highway. I am 99.9% sure it is the ex demo one used by Caradvice which is also the lake silver one in the photo of the 1st shipments arriving in Sydney. It was sad to say goodbye to my Leaf, the best car I have had in forty years of driving.
Bryce

Post by Bryce »

Congrats on the new Kona - and yes, I still in some ways miss my 2011 Leaf.

The Kona is in innumerable ways a better EV, but the original Leaf still seems to me in many other ways 'a better car' ...
LORAX
Groupie

Post by LORAX »

Congrats ... green with envy!

:mrgreen:
Lorax

"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not." Dr Seuss
LORAX
Groupie

Post by LORAX »

The LORAX is coming ...

Apparently, my car has arrived over here in the west ... being licenced today for pick up next week!
The waiting is killing me!
Lorax

Getagrip
Noobie

Post by Getagrip »

Hello everybody.

Newbie here. Put down my deposit seven months ago and, finally, I will be picking up my brand spanking new 2020 Kona EV (Elite, chalk white with stone grey blue leather trim) on Saturday 31st Oct. Am excited and nervous at the same time. So much to learn.
Did mountains of research and after lurking on this forum for months I was convinced that the Kona was the way to go. I love the positiveness of you Kona owners.
Have just had a Zappi v.2 installed at home and itching to use it.

Looking forward to hearing from Perth based Kona EV owners in particular.

I am bound to ask plenty of dumb questions as I come to grips with there car, charging, technical issues, etc., so please be patient with me. :)

There must be a collective noun for Kona EV owners. If there isn't one may I suggest KEVs? or KEVOs?

Cheers
Getagrip
Noobie

Post by Getagrip »

LORAX wrote: Fri, 23 Oct 2020, 15:34 The LORAX is coming ...

Apparently, my car has arrived over here in the west ... being licenced today for pick up next week!
The waiting is killing me!
Hi Lorax,

Sounds like we are picking up our respective cars at around the same time? Nice to know I have a fellow traveller, so to speak.
coulomb
Site Admin

Post by coulomb »

Getagrip wrote: Sat, 24 Oct 2020, 15:02 Newbie here. Put down my deposit seven months ago and, finally, I will be picking up my brand spanking new 2020 Kona EV

Welcome and congratulations.
There must be a collective noun for Kona EV owners. If there isn't one may I suggest KEVs? or KEVOs?
Konans! Though people might mistake you for Barbarians :-o
MG ZS EV 2021 April 2021. Nissan Leaf 2012 with new battery May 2019.
5650 W solar, 2xPIP-4048MS inverters, 16 kWh battery.
Patching PIP-4048/5048 inverter-chargers.
If you appreciate my work, you can buy me a coffee.
LORAX
Groupie

Post by LORAX »

Sounds like we are picking up our respective cars at around the same time? Nice to know I have a fellow traveller, so to speak.
Yes, just waiting on the confirmed pick up date. Apparently they were collecting the plates on Friday, but couldn't get it ready for pick up today. I too was chasing the light interior colour, hence the wait.

Like you, have spent months researching and test driving to get to this point. Hoping I will have it in time for a work trip down south at the end of the week. Nothing like first drive out and testing the range anxiety. ;)

Please post a photo when you get it, I certainly will.

I love KONANS! :lol:
Lorax

Bryce

Post by Bryce »

Just don't call us Kovids... 😆
LORAX
Groupie

Post by LORAX »

The LORAX has finally arrived ...

20201028_190800_resized.jpg
20201028_190800_resized.jpg (107.93 KiB) Viewed 902 times

Will be testing the range anxiety later today. Perth via Bunbury to Bridgetown. No recharging planned and should in theory have 100+km to spare.
Lorax

brendon_m

Post by brendon_m »

Congratulations :D