Help: 5KW Apex Inverter

non-EV Solar, Wind and other renewable power sources
non-EV batteries and other energy storage stuff
Forum rules
Important!
This forum is for discussion of Non-EV matters.
myinverter
Noobie

Help: 5KW Apex Inverter

Post by myinverter »

Hi all,

I have two 5KW Apex King inverters. Currently setup in parallel. I have ICCSolar software that works great on the slave but does not read both the inverters. On further inspection the developer of ICCSolar noted that the firmware version on the inverters is old and parallel coms has not yet been implemented on the version that I have. Software version: 71.70.
I am pretty familiar with firmware updates etc however that has also taught me to always be 100% sure on which firmware to install. I would like to ask those in the know which firmware version (URL if you could be so kind) I could use to flash these inverters. As I said above these inverters are identical and bought the same time, they also have the exact same firmware.

I would Really appreciate the help and guidance.

The inverter Model Details:

The inverter From the front

The inverter Software Details:
myinverter
Noobie

Re: Help: 5KW Apex Inverter

Post by myinverter »

Mods : can you please move to: Renewable Energy and Storage (Non-EV)
coulomb
Site Admin

Post by coulomb »

myinverter wrote: Thu, 02 Jul 2020, 23:22 Mods : can you please move to: Renewable Energy and Storage (Non-EV)
Done.
that has also taught me to always be 100% sure on which firmware to install.
You are right to be cautious; firmware with version number 71.XX could be PIP MK/Axpert King firmware or PIP MG/Axpert MKS II firmware, and this year the numbers have started to overlap! Fortunately, the MK/King firmware has a different flash initiation command, so the wrong firmware will simply refuse to apply when using the provided reflash tool on a Windows PC. I don't know whether using the USB stick method would bypass this; I suspect it probably would. So caution is definitely advised.

As of this post, the latest readily available MK/King firmware is 71.86, available from the Powerforum files here. But it should be used with display/BMS firmware 02.00, also available from the Powerforum files here. I've updated the index to add these links.
Nissan Leaf 2012 with new battery May 2019.
5650 W solar, 2xPIP-4048MS inverters, 16 kWh battery.
1.4 kW solar with 1.2 kW Latronics inverter and FIT.
160 W solar, 2.5 kWh 24 V battery for lights.
Patching PIP-4048/5048 inverter-chargers.
myinverter
Noobie

Post by myinverter »

Thank you very much for the response. One further question is there an order to update i.e. the BMS display first then the firmware or the other way round? Or does it not matter?
myinverter
Noobie

Post by myinverter »

Just a further questions, when doing the firmware update. From what I have read
  • 1. You do the main CPU update first
    2. Then you do the display screen
Is this correct?

Other question in the picture below do you use the USB port (in yellow) or the computer port (in red) the computer port it looks like a RJ45 jack so I assume it uses RJ45 jack with a serial port?

coulomb
Site Admin

Post by coulomb »

myinverter wrote: Mon, 06 Jul 2020, 19:05 1. You do the main CPU update first
2. Then you do the display screen
Is this correct?
I don't think it makes a lot of difference. The Growatts tell you you must do it in this order, so it seems sensible.
Other question in the picture below do you use the USB port (in yellow) or the computer port (in red) the computer port
There are two ways of updating on the removable display models; each uses a different port. If updating from a computer via a USB to RS-232 adapter, then you'd use the computer port. If using the USB stick method (you likely need a OTG micro to standard USB cable), you use the USB port. It looks like you can't update the display/MCU/BMS software using the USB stick method, so you may as well do both from a Windows PC.

There are links to instructions for firmware updating on the PIP MK / Axpert King topic, e.g. this one: https://powerforum.co.za/topic/3759-axp ... ment-67305 .
it looks like a RJ45 jack so I assume it uses RJ45 jack with a serial port?
Yes. Hopefully your inverters each came with an RJ-45 to RS-232 (D9) cable. Use a USB to RS-232 adapter to plug into the D9 end of that cable.
Nissan Leaf 2012 with new battery May 2019.
5650 W solar, 2xPIP-4048MS inverters, 16 kWh battery.
1.4 kW solar with 1.2 kW Latronics inverter and FIT.
160 W solar, 2.5 kWh 24 V battery for lights.
Patching PIP-4048/5048 inverter-chargers.