used EV purchase

Open for any sort of non-technical discussion regarding EVs
hugh venables
Noobie

used EV purchase

Post by hugh venables »

I'm pondering the possibility of a used EV to drive about 20 km to work and wondering how I can soak up some wisdom on how to assess one. For example how would a 2010 iMiEV at 40,000 km compare with a 2012 iMiEV at 100,000 for the same price? Have older EVs like this still got plenty of life? I imagine battery replacement cost would be similar to the current value of these, a sobering thought. A used Leaf might be found at a similar price.
Any thought welcome. Thanks, Hugh
antiscab

Re: used EV purchase

Post by antiscab »

Welcome Hugh
Where abouts are you based?

As far as battery goes, you are best off getting hold of a OBD2 to Bluetooth adapater (high speed version) and using one of the mobile apps to see battery SOH and cell voltages when at low SOC.

The rest of the car basically lasts forever (at least compared to an ICE vehicle)

imievs seem to have chargers and dc-dc that fail about this age, so worth finding out if any vehicle you look at has had a recent replacement.
imiev has slightly better battery cooling than the leaf, which translates to slightly better battery life.
both leaf and imiev now have options for battery upgrade for better range (around the $13k mark for battery with twice the original new capacity)
with your commute, I wouldn't upgrade battery unless it no longer has enough range to suit your needs (likely years away, and batteries keep getting better and cheaper)

grey imports give you the possibility of newer cars, though the ones with more battery capacity command too much of a premium IMO
grey imports also give access to models not sold here, like the Van variants

If you have somewhere relatively cool to park your car, leaf is okay. If not, I wouldn't get one (unless where you live is cool most of the time, like tasmania)
My imiev has been parked in the sun and the elements since 2015, and still has 70% of it's original capacity
Matt
2017 Renault zoe - 25'000km
2007 vectrix - 156'000km
1998 prius - needs Batt
1999 Prius - needs batt
2000 prius - has 200 x headway 38120 cells
hugh venables
Noobie

Post by hugh venables »

Thanks Matt, that is very useful information. I'm in Ferntree Gully Vic, south-east suburb of Melbourne. (I can't see how to add that to my profile.)
I guess the main issue would be possible cost of battery replacement. Is distance travelled (relating approximately to number of charging cycles) more relevant or the vehicle's age? Thanks, Hugh.
antiscab

Post by antiscab »

hugh venables wrote: Sun, 15 Mar 2020, 14:10 Is distance travelled (relating approximately to number of charging cycles) more relevant or the vehicle's age?
Neither, remaining battery capacity is most relevant

you will generally see less capacity on cars that have high mileage, been in high temperatures, or are old. or a combination thereof.

But since you can see capacity directly (in the case of leaf, there's an indicator on the dash) you don't have to guess.
Matt
2017 Renault zoe - 25'000km
2007 vectrix - 156'000km
1998 prius - needs Batt
1999 Prius - needs batt
2000 prius - has 200 x headway 38120 cells
hugh venables
Noobie

Post by hugh venables »

Thanks Matt.