Importing Leaf ZE1 (current) model..

Nissan EV Interest Group
memecode
Groupie

Importing Leaf ZE1 (current) model..

Post by memecode »

Thinking of importing a ZE1 Leaf...

Does the 40kwh model (current) have much in the way of battery degradation issues like the 30kwh?

I'm looking at whats available in the $30 something K mark and there are a bunch of 40kwh imports that can be had for that sort of money. But if the battery isn't going to last I can't commit to that. I haven't read anything negative about it, but it's worth checking...

Can the Japanese ZE1 head unit / dash display be converted over to English yet? (For a reasonable price?)

Is this a sane idea?

Anyone got any experience importing a Leaf?

Other than that, we are off to test drive a local one today, just to see it in person.
antiscab

Re: Importing Leaf ZE1 (current) model..

Post by antiscab »

No battery cooling. If you live somewhere cold, you may get away with it
Matt
2023 BYD Atto 3 - 21k km
2017 Renault zoe - 147'000km
2012 Leaf - 101'000km - soon to be trialing a booster battery
2007 Vectrix - 197'000km (retired)
2007 Vectrix - 50k km
jonescg

Post by jonescg »

There's a market for crashed 40 kWh Leafs though - their battery fits right inside a 2012 Leaf, and can be tricked to work nicely thanks to the guys in NZ and Quebec.
AEVA National President, WA branch director.
memecode
Groupie

Post by memecode »

jonescg wrote: Sat, 01 Feb 2020, 08:33 There's a market for crashed 40 kWh Leafs though - their battery fits right inside a 2012 Leaf, and can be tricked to work nicely thanks to the guys in NZ and Quebec.
So a 2012 Leaf is what $15k at best here? And the battery from a 40kwh Leaf is $"n"k, lets say 10? Someone needs to install, test and reconfigure? $2-3k min? Starting to sound like 30ish anyway, and for 35 I can get a much newer car. Is that what you are suggesting?
jonescg

Post by jonescg »

What I'm saying is that if a grey import 40 kWh Leaf is still too expensive, you might still be able to get a crashed Japanese one for a fraction of the cost and put its battery into a cheap used 2012 Leaf over here. So the total spend might be $20-25k instead of the nearly $40k you'd pay for a grey import. Since the only real redeeming feature of the new leaf is more range, this might be a way of getting a longer range Leaf for less money.

Also remember that an imported Leaf will have zero support from Nissan Australia and will cost not that much less than a new Leaf from Nissan Australia.
brendon_m

Post by brendon_m »

Have the rules changed regarding imports? How come you can now 'grey' import a 40kWh leaf when that's what Nissan are selling?
T1 Terry

Post by T1 Terry »

jonescg wrote: Sat, 01 Feb 2020, 11:06 What I'm saying is that if a grey import 40 kWh Leaf is still too expensive, you might still be able to get a crashed Japanese one for a fraction of the cost and put its battery into a cheap used 2012 Leaf over here. So the total spend might be $20-25k instead of the nearly $40k you'd pay for a grey import. Since the only real redeeming feature of the new leaf is more range, this might be a way of getting a longer range Leaf for less money.

Also remember that an imported Leaf will have zero support from Nissan Australia and will cost not that much less than a new Leaf from Nissan Australia.
If you can import the whole car, use the battery in the earlier Leaf and still have the rest to sell to someone who is interested in adapting the leaf drive train etc into a DIY EV, then you would be way ahead of the game.

T1 Terry
Green but want to learn
memecode
Groupie

Post by memecode »

brendon_m wrote: Sat, 01 Feb 2020, 12:00 Have the rules changed regarding imports? How come you can now 'grey' import a 40kWh leaf when that's what Nissan are selling?
Yes, last year the laws changed and particularly for EVs and Hybrids you can import models that weren't sold here. Because Nissan took their precious time releasing the 2nd gen Leaf here that means we can import cars outside of those dates:
https://prestigemotorsport.com.au/nissa ... igibility/
jonescg wrote: Sat, 01 Feb 2020, 11:06 What I'm saying is that if a grey import 40 kWh Leaf is still too expensive, you might still be able to get a crashed Japanese one for a fraction of the cost and put its battery into a cheap used 2012 Leaf over here. So the total spend might be $20-25k instead of the nearly $40k you'd pay for a grey import. Since the only real redeeming feature of the new leaf is more range, this might be a way of getting a longer range Leaf for less money.
I dare say the cur gen is a much nicer car inside and out. I have yet to try either one out though. I've decide not to do any DIY stuff. I probably could, but it would eat my time, which is more precious to me than the money I'd save. I'd rather just pay for a production EV that does what I need.
jonescg wrote: Sat, 01 Feb 2020, 11:06 Also remember that an imported Leaf will have zero support from Nissan Australia and will cost not that much less than a new Leaf from Nissan Australia.
Well from what I see aussie delivered 2nd gen Leafs START at $52k for a demo! There are none cheaper on car sales. I can get a JDM Leaf for $35k. That's a big difference. Enough to make the Japanese head unit / dash and lack of support worth it to me.
brendon_m

Post by brendon_m »

Good to know.
I was aware there was talk of changing the laws but I didn't realise it had actually been done it yet.
jonescg

Post by jonescg »

memecode wrote: Sun, 02 Feb 2020, 05:29
I dare say the cur gen is a much nicer car inside and out. I have yet to try either one out though. I've decide not to do any DIY stuff. I probably could, but it would eat my time, which is more precious to me than the money I'd save. I'd rather just pay for a production EV that does what I need.
Yes it's definitely pretty nice on the inside, and totally appreciate the DIY aspect is a big turnoff.
memecode wrote: Sun, 02 Feb 2020, 05:29 Well from what I see aussie delivered 2nd gen Leafs START at $52k for a demo! There are none cheaper on car sales. I can get a JDM Leaf for $35k. That's a big difference. Enough to make the Japanese head unit / dash and lack of support worth it to me.
That's an extraordinarily good price - I have a feeling that's excluding a quite of other costs; for example, we have importers here in Perth trying to sell 30 kWh Leafs straight out of Japan for that kind of money. If it's drive away, then you're right, it's clearly the cheaper way to go. And potentially a convenient way to learn Japanese :)
brendon_m

Post by brendon_m »

Jspec have them at ~$37k landed and complied in perth

http://www.j-spec.com.au/typical_sale_prices

Meanwhile Nissan sell them new @ $55k

https://www.nissan.com.au/vehicles/brow ... /A/version

The 30kWh seem to be around the $20-25k mark on jspec
jonescg

Post by jonescg »

Someone should tell the guys at Elite then - they might need to sharpen their pencils...
memecode
Groupie

Post by memecode »

jonescg wrote: Sun, 02 Feb 2020, 09:22 That's an extraordinarily good price - I have a feeling that's excluding a quite of other costs; for example, we have importers here in Perth trying to sell 30 kWh Leafs straight out of Japan for that kind of money. If it's drive away, then you're right, it's clearly the cheaper way to go. And potentially a convenient way to learn Japanese :)
Check the break down of costs... seems like it's drive away:
http://www.j-spec.com.au/featured/2018- ... 18117.html
AUD $25,850 FOB for the actual car... the rest are import costs. But rego isn't included in the base quote. But there is a calculator for that too.

I think the dealers offering 30kwh for 30something K are adding their own profit into the deal. But under the hood their are doing the same sort of import process.

The more I think about it the more I like the idea. Gonna talk to the bank today...
Chris-in-Buccan
Noobie

Post by Chris-in-Buccan »

Hi

I have just bought through J spec a 2104 leaf azeo x with a battery that appears to test well with Leaf Spy, the interesting thing is that apart from the charging history being a bit odd for the kms it is a sub 20k kms car and I believe if Bens (who really is just as helpful as others say) numbers are correct we will have it in the carport for $20k. We have to accept the risk with the battery ......naysayers button-it please as we are getting solar power later this month too and our feeling is that by the time the battery will not take us to the shops and back there will be people re-packing batteries, might even do it myself who knows. Hope that helps you we are quite excited as it looks as if it still has a range over 120kms.

Cheers

Chris
memecode
Groupie

Post by memecode »

The bank gave us the thumbs up...

The final straw maybe the Japanese dash/head unit. Not an insurmountable problem but still a concern.
brendon_m

Post by brendon_m »

T1 Terry

Post by T1 Terry »

Chris-in-Buccan wrote: Tue, 04 Feb 2020, 15:20 Hi

I have just bought through J spec a 2104 leaf azeo x with a battery that appears to test well with Leaf Spy, the interesting thing is that apart from the charging history being a bit odd for the kms it is a sub 20k kms car and I believe if Bens (who really is just as helpful as others say) numbers are correct we will have it in the carport for $20k. We have to accept the risk with the battery ......naysayers button-it please as we are getting solar power later this month too and our feeling is that by the time the battery will not take us to the shops and back there will be people re-packing batteries, might even do it myself who knows. Hope that helps you we are quite excited as it looks as if it still has a range over 120kms.

Cheers

Chris
Good one Chris, the battery can always become the solar interface pack so you can charge battery to battery when you get home each night, got to be quicker than converting to 240vac and then through the charger back to DC battery voltage.

T1 Terry
Green but want to learn
memecode
Groupie

Post by memecode »

My google fu found those as well, but they deal only with the older GEN1 cars. I'm specifically asking about the current GEN2 cars... so I've sent them a message to see if they have anything for me. Maybe they are working on a solution?
memecode
Groupie

Post by memecode »

EVs Enhanced Enquiries wrote: Yes, we are able to convert both the audio unit and the instrument cluster into English.

We would need the units to be shipped to us for conversion.

Costs in NZD are
Audio Unit: $475
Inst Cluster: $400
DHL Shipping: $65.00

Total: NZD$940
Hmmm. :shock:

So the answer is "Yes"... but "Noooooooooooo!"
brendon_m

Post by brendon_m »

Well, $1000 to convert to English or an extra $20000 to get an English one from Nissan Australia
memecode
Groupie

Post by memecode »

So I finally got around to test driving one today. A GEN2. The local Nissan dealership has taken over a month of us trying to contact them and still not provided an agreeable time to test drive. Today I just walked in unannounced and they let me drive it.

Holy shit it's nice.

Smooth, quiet, comfortable, supple ride. But it comes in white or white. Or 4-6 months delivery from the UK if I want gun metal grey. No blue like in Japan. The demo model is 47k, RRP is 54. Nice warranty, inc 8 years for the battery to be at least 80% SOH.

Gonna go test a GEN1 for giggles but the wife is adamant that she wants a GEN2.
reecho

Post by reecho »

No active battery management in a 2020MY EV in Australia is just about inexcusable in my opinion. But in saying that the Gen 1 is a great drive especially on the highway.

Just not for long... :-)
mikedufty

Post by mikedufty »

jonescg wrote: Sat, 01 Feb 2020, 11:06 remember that an imported Leaf will have zero support from Nissan Australia
I'm not sure that is entirely zero support, certainly not the support you get for an Australian bought one but there are still some mechanisms for recalls. I ended up successfully getting the Takata airbags on my Mitsubishi ICE import changed by Mitsubishi Australia (as an agent of Mitsubishi Japan) . Though not without a lot of waiting.
jonescg

Post by jonescg »

Oh - that was me on Leach Hwy waving at you from the Blackbird this morning by the way.
brunohill

Post by brunohill »

reecho wrote: Thu, 05 Mar 2020, 20:44 No active battery management in a 2020MY EV in Australia is just about inexcusable in my opinion. But in saying that the Gen 1 is a great drive especially on the highway.

Just not for long... :-)
It should not really be a problem in Tasmania.