Getting a better map on 2010 iMiEV

Mitsubishi EV Interest Group
PiMan
Groupie

Getting a better map on 2010 iMiEV

Post by PiMan »

I'm having trouble following the instructions to update the map data for the GPS; so I'm considering just replacing the whole unit.
Does anyone have any recommendations for a replacement, preferably costing less than the ~AU$200 the map update for the built in unit would cost?

Failing that, who here has actually updated the map for the built in unit? Because none of the instructions are working for me.
reecho

Re: Getting a better map on 2010 iMiEV

Post by reecho »

Do you have a phone that supports Android Auto or Apple Carplay?

That would be the better way to go. $200 won't go far though. they start around the $400 mark..
PiMan
Groupie

Post by PiMan »

I'm pretty sure my phone would support Android Auto; it's pretty new and I do use my phone for GPS directions at times when my car is taking upwards of half an hour to find the satellites.
I'm willing to look at spending more, since a new unit would have a more responsive screen, among other things. $200 was mostly me being hopeful.

And I'd still like to know if anyone here has successfully updated the existing GPS/map data. I think of myself as pretty tech savvy and good at following instructions, but I could barely get past step one last night.
PiMan
Groupie

Post by PiMan »

Anyone else with anything to contribute?
mark_hetho
Groupie

Post by mark_hetho »

I've never used the in car navigation on any vehicle, happy to just use my phone which has live updates anyway.

Are you following the instructions at http://www.eclipse-web.com/au/avn726ea_ ... tep01.html?
Which part are you getting stuck on? I could try to run through it - an update might be good to resolve some issues with it switching to call mode when a call comes in.
PiMan
Groupie

Post by PiMan »

I discovered something yesterday (before seeing your comment). I've owned an imiev for three or four years now, and I only yesterday learned the GPS has a disc drive. This may make updating easier; maybe.

I was previously trying to install the update via USB, and the instructions were getting me nowhere.