CCS 1 BMW i3's

BMW i3 discussion forum
dholms
Noobie

CCS 1 BMW i3's

Post by dholms »

Hi there,

Looking to get a conversation started with owners of CCS type 1 i3's.

How many KM's have you done?

What's your average daily round trip commute?

What's your typical ECO Pro + range?

Has anyone retrofitted their CCS1 to CCS type 2 through BMW
- I know this was offered for free in NZ but BMW Australia is declining to retrofit under warranty
- Does anyone know anyone who has had their i3 retrofitted?

What adapters do you use? How reliable do you find them?

Cheers!
lopezjm2001
Groupie

Re: CCS 1 BMW i3's

Post by lopezjm2001 »

I tried to DC fast charge my BMW i3 at Mittagong RSL https://www.plugshare.com/location/166796. I found that this charger only uses CCS type 2 so I could not do DC fast charge. My BMW i3 only uses a CCS type 1 plug. Does anybody know if there are any options for me? Adaptor cable? Looks like I will have to speak to BMW in Australia.
Did BMW change from type 1 to type 2? and When?
Last edited by lopezjm2001 on Mon, 29 Oct 2018, 05:38, edited 1 time in total.
2016 BMW i3 94AH
13.08 Batt.Kapa.max 29.7 kWh(13/08/2018)
13.08 Batt.Kapa.max 28.7 kWh(22/06/2020)
dgh853
Groupie

Post by dgh853 »

Setec make a CCS Combo 2 to CCS Combo 1 Adaptor and there should be others as well - http://www.setec-power.com/china/ccs-co ... -1-adapter
lopezjm2001
Groupie

Post by lopezjm2001 »

dgh853 wrote: Mon, 29 Oct 2018, 05:36 Setec make a CCS Combo 2 to CCS Combo 1 Adaptor and there should be others as well - http://www.setec-power.com/china/ccs-co ... -1-adapter
Thanks. Looks good.
Can anybody confirm that they actually work in Australia with a BMW i3?
They quoted me US$1000 plus delivery. :(
2016 BMW i3 94AH
Jon8
Noobie

Post by Jon8 »

I bought a CCS1 to CCS2 from Setec it works ok..have a look at Franklin St Adelaide on PS there is pic of the adaptor in use
lopezjm2001
Groupie

Post by lopezjm2001 »

Jon8 wrote: Tue, 30 Oct 2018, 06:11 I bought a CCS1 to CCS2 from Setec it works ok..have a look at Franklin St Adelaide on PS there is pic of the adaptor in use
Thanks, any idea what your maximum charge power was in kW? Did you get the max 50kW?
I decided to get one from https://www.evseadapters.com/collection ... us-adapter. A bit cheaper and they also use Paypal. Setec would only accept a international bank transfer in US dollars only and their postage cost was considerably higher.
I did some reading on the evseadaptors website and found out that both CCS 1 and CCS 2 use the same communications protocol so it is purely pin to wire to pin with no adaptor PCB. I guess it is the high current pins which makes them so f...… expensive. It is really just an expensive plug adaptor.

There are two issues with using an adaptor.
1. They can be forced apart and stolen.
2. They are not safe in the rain. The two joining plugs could be sitting in a puddle of water.

So I am considering swapping out the combo plug inlet with a type 2. Which you can buy from https://www.evse.com.au/ccs-type2-inlet ... ocket.html. Both types 1 and 2 use the same fast charge communications protocol.
The CCS 1 and CCS 2 share the same DC fast charging protocol. The only significant differences are the shape of the plug and the value of the internal proximity resistor. So this works perfectly without requiring a protocol adapter. (CHAdeMO and CCS however use entirely different protocols.) Although there appear to be male plugs on each end, actually one is male and the other is female. We've tested this adapter extensively with several vehicles to make sure it operates as intended.
2016 BMW i3 94AH
lopezjm2001
Groupie

Post by lopezjm2001 »

Setec Power tell me they sell stacks of these adaptors to Norway. They also distribute the same adaptor to www.evseadapters.com.

They sent me a photo of all these adaptors going to Europe
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1NUo4v ... v8TJDE3XC3
2016 BMW i3 94AH
johc
Noobie

Post by johc »

I have also just obtained one of these adaptors from Setec and tried it out on the weekend. It worked fine although the car end of the adaptor is a little stiff to fit and to get to "click" into place. Total cost was just under $2,000, importing it direct from China. Still no response from BMW Sydney regarding a quote for converting the car to CCS2, several weeks after putting in the request. Charging from about 30% battery to 80% took about 20 minutes.
Coho
Noobie

Post by Coho »

I'm in the process of converting my CCS1 to CCS2. I've just got the parts in from BMW (overseas) so I hope to do it over the next week or so :) Total cost so far is around $1500 AUD. The quotes I got from BMW to do this retrofit are around the $5000 mark :(
Coho
Noobie

Post by Coho »

Apologies if I've posted already but I don't see it on the thread. I've also looked into the adaptor, unofficial recommendation from BMW. The CCS1 to CCS2 retro fit price I've been given is around 5000 mark :( I've ended up sourcing the parts and will install them over the next few weeks. Total cost is around $1500 from overseas. So far the parts look like they should bolt off, bolt on.
lopezjm2001
Groupie

Post by lopezjm2001 »

Which parts did you source? Thanks.
2016 BMW i3 94AH
Coho
Noobie

Post by Coho »

The HV Cable set CCS 2, the type 2 plug cover and the CCS2 surrounding plate. The HV Cable set is the expensive one. I'm hoping any bolts and nuts will be the ones off my car. I believe the existing Cable set connects to the KLE. I'm hoping the connector will fit onto the KLE with no problems as the new HV cable set is three phase...I'll find out soon enough.
lopezjm2001
Groupie

Post by lopezjm2001 »

Do you know whether the KLE will support the two extra phases? Do you think it might require Esys coding to go from J1772 to Mennekes? Good luck. Let us know how you go as I am also interested in doing this. The only down side is that the Mennekes on the new BMW i3 2018 will not work with the Tesla destination chargers. But the older BMW i3 with J1772 will work on Tesla destination chargers using an adapter cable.
2016 BMW i3 94AH
Coho
Noobie

Post by Coho »

The KLE won't support the extra two phases. I've just completed the operation and it's all working great!! I've tried the tesla charger and it won't charge as expected. But I can use the DC fast chargers and any type 2 connector now without adapters which makes me happy. Not a DIY job unless you have an electrical background/ Computer programming as it involves some coding on the car too.
lopezjm2001
Groupie

Post by lopezjm2001 »

Thanks. Not really worth it for me if you cannot use the two extra phases which means my BMW i3 does not have the two extra onboard chargers required to be able to charge from a Tesla destination charger at 22kW. That would be sweet...
2016 BMW i3 94AH
godbye1
Noobie

Post by godbye1 »

@lopezjm2001
Hey; did you complete your swap with just the socket/charge port or purchased adapter? Have the same issue with my US I3 exported to Germany. Is it confirmed the protocol is identical, than I would rather think about purchasing and swapping just the socket (saw options out of china for some 65 $)? greets Frank
lopezjm2001
Groupie

Post by lopezjm2001 »

I have an adapter. So swapping the charge port to type 2 would be a waste of money for me. Unless I can upgrade from 7.4kW to 22kW.
2016 BMW i3 94AH
dholms
Noobie

Post by dholms »

lopezjm2001 wrote: Fri, 19 Apr 2019, 18:34 Do you know whether the KLE will support the two extra phases? Do you think it might require Esys coding to go from J1772 to Mennekes? Good luck. Let us know how you go as I am also interested in doing this. The only down side is that the Mennekes on the new BMW i3 2018 will not work with the Tesla destination chargers. But the older BMW i3 with J1772 will work on Tesla destination chargers using an adapter cable.
So just making sure I'm getting this right. If BMW were to swap out my existing DC fast charging port (CCS type 1) to their new CCS type 2, I wouldn't be able to use some of the tesla destination chargers?

I know current (new) i3 owners which have the stock CCS type 2 are using some of the destination chargers that haven't been blocked...

I'm trying to weigh up the option of getting the port put in by BMW vs buying the DC fast charger adaptor and perhaps an adaptor that would allow me to use the destination charger with my current J1772 set up
lopezjm2001
Groupie

Post by lopezjm2001 »

dholms wrote: Wed, 07 Aug 2019, 19:54 So just making sure I'm getting this right. If BMW were to swap out my existing DC fast charging port (CCS type 1) to their new CCS type 2, I wouldn't be able to use some of the tesla destination chargers?
I do not work for BMW but that does seem to be the case. Please let us know if and how much BMW quote for the swap out to CCS2? I could never get an answer out of BMW regarding doing a swap out from CC1 to CC2. From what I have read BMW Australia will not do it but BMW New Zealand will.
2016 BMW i3 94AH
TerryC
Noobie

Post by TerryC »

Hello, I read this forum with interest as I also failed to use the Chargefox DC charger in Newcastle due to the issue my 2016 94amh i3 is fitted with the CCS Type1 socket and yet all Australian DC chargers use the Type2 plug. Having had my Ford Fiesta replaced by Ford for a issue after 2 years and my Holden Volt fully refunded after 3 years for unavailability of parts, I have come to fully understand Australian consumer law. I am about to take issue with BMW Australia as my much loved i3 was sold to me on the basis that when it became available in Australia I would be able to DC fast charge this vehicle. This as it turns out was misleading and anything sold under these circumstances under Australia consumer law the clear end result comes under the 3 R's Rectify, Remuniate or Refund the choice being up to the buyer. It is clear BMW has made a mistake fitting the original i3 with a USA standard Type1 socket when Europe was fitting the Type2 it is also clear BMW should not have claimed you could in future DC charge the i3. Technically they have no leg to stand on, by consumer law they are required to retrofit the correct socket, compensate the owner or fully refund the vehicle. Personally it would be in their interest to certify and supply for free an adaptor cable which is what I shall be seeking. My advice to all owners is know your rights as its their fault not yours do not believe what a dealer or BMW may tell you, your real rights are very clear under Australian Consumer Law.
nunitas
Noobie

Post by nunitas »

Coho wrote: Wed, 17 Apr 2019, 18:35 The HV Cable set CCS 2, the type 2 plug cover and the CCS2 surrounding plate. The HV Cable set is the expensive one. I'm hoping any bolts and nuts will be the ones off my car. I believe the existing Cable set connects to the KLE. I'm hoping the connector will fit onto the KLE with no problems as the new HV cable set is three phase...I'll find out soon enough.
Hi, could you share more experience (and part numbers if possible) - what exactly was needed for conversion? Does HV cable set need any conversion or is it a plug&play on KLE side - as I understand you've used three phase cable set for one phase KLE, haven't you?
The_gadabouts
Noobie

Post by The_gadabouts »

TerryC wrote: Wed, 16 Oct 2019, 16:12 Hello, I read this forum with interest as I also failed to use the Chargefox DC charger in Newcastle due to the issue my 2016 94amh i3 is fitted with the CCS Type1 socket and yet all Australian DC chargers use the Type2 plug. Having had my Ford Fiesta replaced by Ford for a issue after 2 years and my Holden Volt fully refunded after 3 years for unavailability of parts, I have come to fully understand Australian consumer law. I am about to take issue with BMW Australia as my much loved i3 was sold to me on the basis that when it became available in Australia I would be able to DC fast charge this vehicle. This as it turns out was misleading and anything sold under these circumstances under Australia consumer law the clear end result comes under the 3 R's Rectify, Remuniate or Refund the choice being up to the buyer. It is clear BMW has made a mistake fitting the original i3 with a USA standard Type1 socket when Europe was fitting the Type2 it is also clear BMW should not have claimed you could in future DC charge the i3. Technically they have no leg to stand on, by consumer law they are required to retrofit the correct socket, compensate the owner or fully refund the vehicle. Personally it would be in their interest to certify and supply for free an adaptor cable which is what I shall be seeking. My advice to all owners is know your rights as its their fault not yours do not believe what a dealer or BMW may tell you, your real rights are very clear under Australian Consumer Law.
Hi TerryC,

I have been sending some messages back and forth with BMW Australia and I3 Germany to not avail. I am very keen to speak with you regarding this as I believe they have an obligation to make good.
dholms
Noobie

Post by dholms »

The_gadabouts wrote: Sun, 12 Jan 2020, 15:53
TerryC wrote: Wed, 16 Oct 2019, 16:12 Hello, I read this forum with interest as I also failed to use the Chargefox DC charger in Newcastle due to the issue my 2016 94amh i3 is fitted with the CCS Type1 socket and yet all Australian DC chargers use the Type2 plug. Having had my Ford Fiesta replaced by Ford for a issue after 2 years and my Holden Volt fully refunded after 3 years for unavailability of parts, I have come to fully understand Australian consumer law. I am about to take issue with BMW Australia as my much loved i3 was sold to me on the basis that when it became available in Australia I would be able to DC fast charge this vehicle. This as it turns out was misleading and anything sold under these circumstances under Australia consumer law the clear end result comes under the 3 R's Rectify, Remuniate or Refund the choice being up to the buyer. It is clear BMW has made a mistake fitting the original i3 with a USA standard Type1 socket when Europe was fitting the Type2 it is also clear BMW should not have claimed you could in future DC charge the i3. Technically they have no leg to stand on, by consumer law they are required to retrofit the correct socket, compensate the owner or fully refund the vehicle. Personally it would be in their interest to certify and supply for free an adaptor cable which is what I shall be seeking. My advice to all owners is know your rights as its their fault not yours do not believe what a dealer or BMW may tell you, your real rights are very clear under Australian Consumer Law.
Hi TerryC,

I have been sending some messages back and forth with BMW Australia and I3 Germany to not avail. I am very keen to speak with you regarding this as I believe they have an obligation to make good.
I too would be interested in putting out heads together to work on this. As I have have some communication with BMW myself without any luck.

Have either of you made any progress with them?
spi3
Noobie

Post by spi3 »

I bought an an adaptor cable from EVolution (https://www.evolutionaustralia.com.au/p ... ered-evses) and tried it with an EO charger at Civic in Canberra. Didn’t work. The charger recognised something was plugged in (flashing blue light to flashing green) But the i3 didn’t change from the pale grey lightly. EO and EVolution have been helpful but no success as they both think it should work. BMW just say get the socket changed and they don’t approve adaptors. I assume the BMW has to change its software to talk to the type 2 chargers. I wonder if i can plug it into a Tesla destination charger.
Brookster
Noobie

Post by Brookster »

Happy to set up a survey monkey and gather numbers to approach ACCC to seek BMW to retro fit type 2 inlet ports as they did in NZ. If I get some interest!