AEVA Members: your Forum Login (here) is NOT the same as your new AEVA member login.
You do not need to change your existing Forum login.

Model 3 lowest cost in Aus?

Tesla EVs Interest Group
doggy
Groupie

Model 3 lowest cost in Aus?

Post by doggy »

Does anyone know:

a. What is the cheapest (incl on road costs) you can get a Model 3 in Australia?

b. What correlation is there between the Tesla quoted range (for the Model 3) and real world driving (1. around town and 2. 110km/hr on the freeway)?

Thanks,
Dave

brendon_m

Re: Model 3 lowest cost in Aus?

Post by brendon_m »

Well the configurator in WA comes in at $72109. Delivered and ready to drive
Screenshot_2019-06-18-10-54-33-325_com.android.chrome.png
Screenshot_2019-06-18-10-54-33-325_com.android.chrome.png (192.68 KiB) Viewed 1417 times

doggy
Groupie

Post by doggy »

Thank you!
I am not thinking of getting rid of Zoe. However, it is tempting to replace our second car- turbo diesel Peugeot 508GT- with one of these.
Any idea how far the base model can travel at 110km/hr on the flat?
Cheers,
Dave

dgh853
Groupie

Post by dgh853 »

About 340km at 110kph in the SR+.

Here's a trip of 327km (100% => 4% SOC) from Gundagai to Violet Town - 110kph the whole way - https://abetterrouteplanner.com/?plan_u ... 29680d8655.

The last table on the following page breaks it down to different Tesla models and speeds - https://teslike.com/range/. I think it is a little optimistic in its statement of 381km for 113kph hence my suggested 340km at 110kph would be closer to the mark.
2019 Tesla Model 3 SR+
2013 Nissan Leaf

doggy
Groupie

Post by doggy »

Excellent.
Thanks very much for the information and assessment.
Best Regards,
Dave

T1 Terry

Post by T1 Terry »

This was on Car Sales https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/detail ... 239/?Cr=65 around $130 more than the one Brendan found, but unknown what city that price is based on.

T1 Terry
Green but want to learn

pmacgowan
Noobie

Post by pmacgowan »

ACT because you don't pay stamp duty on electric cars ... just registed my model 3 last week :-)

Nagaman
Groupie

Post by Nagaman »

A M3SR+ on a trip from euroa towards Sydney with a pretty regular southwesterly averaging 20 kph would be interesting for maximum range calculations ......at 100kph you might even make Goulburn.
Question - does your battery actually cool down on highway trips and need preconditioning (warming) prior to supercharging ?.

dgh853
Groupie

Post by dgh853 »

In my experience, your Model 3 will pre-condition the battery to heat it up ready for supercharging when ambient temperatures are lower e.g. 15C or below. You will receive a notification on the dash in that situation. Your Model 3 will control the battery temperature irrespective of how fast you are driving. There are a few videos on Youtube by Tesla Bjorn showing what happens with the Model 3 battery heating and cooling before and after supercharging if you're interested.

If you're trying to work out how far your Model 3 will go between charges I'd strongly recommend using https://abetterrouteplanner.com/. You can set the EV model, tailwinds etc and I have found it to be accurate for a Model 3 SR+. If you're in your Model 3 the navigation is also very accurate at determining how far you can travel based on the route entered in the navigation (including speed limits, altitude changes etc). It leverages the consumption data of thousand of others who have done the same trip to provide accurate estimates on SOC at the end of each leg of a trip.

In terms of driving slower between fast charging stops, given the SR+ can charge at up to 1250kph (170kW) it almost never makes sense to drive below the speed limit to get to your destination faster. You can test this for yourself at https://abetterrouteplanner.com/ by lowering the maximum speed (below 110kph) or reference speed (below 100%).

With a Tesla you don't need to concern yourself with trip planning on routes with Superchargers, the car will do an excellent job at optimising the trip - getting you there ASAP at the speed limit with sufficient buffer on the lower end of SOC (~15%) for variable conditions. It's only when you venture outside the Supercharger network that you need to spend any time planning a trip.
2019 Tesla Model 3 SR+
2013 Nissan Leaf

Nagaman
Groupie

Post by Nagaman »

Thanks David
I’ve done many hours of Sandy, Jack, Bjørn, Galli etc research before the order deposit and have spent time playing on ABRP also.......is it fundamentally better than Tesla’s nav system, say, altitude and wind (TAS) ?.
I regard Tesla as a WMD for many others.

dgh853
Groupie

Post by dgh853 »

I don't think ABRP is better than the Tesla navigation (if your route only uses Superchargers) but it allows you to play with more variables e.g. headwinds, tailwinds etc. And with the Tesla navigation it's always from your current location to the destination. Often you want to see a trip say from Melbourne to Adelaide whilst your Tesla is in Sydney. And in Tasmania there are no superchargers so you'll have to optimise a longer trip with something like A Better Route Planner.

I found ABRP particularly helpful when optimising a route that includes multiple charging providers e.g. I'm currently working out a route to drive Sydney to Melbourne in an SR+ in under 9 hours including stops. That will rely on some of the Chargefox ultra fast chargers due to their higher maximum charge rates and me pushing the SOC down to 5% at some stops to minimise charge time and avoid one charging stop (Euroa). Tesla's navigation doesn't include third party stations and will add a more conservative buffer than the 5% SOC that I will happily go to in order to set that sub 9 hour time.

re. Tesla as a WMD for others - Tesla's navigation is years ahead of all other EVs with its integration with the Supercharger network. It pretty much eliminates range anxiety on trips and the possibility of running out of charge. Adding other charging networks into that navigation system should be relatively easy if Tesla wish to do so. I'm hopeful other EV manufacturers can lift their game in this area.

There are so many aspects of Teslas that all EV manufacturers need to adopt if we want to see mass adoption e.g. battery pre-conditioning for fast charging, high charge rates (170kW in SR+), high efficiency (SR+), integrated charging networks in trip planning and charging optimisation to minimise trip times, Dashcam & sentry mode (4 cameras), robust and feature rich mobile app, OTA updates, large touchscreen-driven interface, phone as a key etc. With Tesla not looking to sell anything cheaper than the Model 3 I hope VW with its ID 3 will bring the technical sophistication of Tesla's offering to the mainstream (<$50k) market. I see Hyundai, Renault and others moving to larger touchscreens but not much improvement when it comes to OTA updates, fast charging rates, styling, performance etc that make Teslas so compelling to new and existing owners.
2019 Tesla Model 3 SR+
2013 Nissan Leaf

Nagaman
Groupie

Post by Nagaman »

I suspect many think that transition shouldn’t be much of a problem, but VW have run into electronics issues apparently set to delay our ID.4’s introduction.
The legacy manufacturers are at least a decade behind in their R&D (Renault Nissan aside) and are all vulnerable IMO.

I find it difficult to think of driving faster as being a more efficient way of travelling longer distances......it’s just a new way of thinking for me.