PIP-5048MK inverter

non-EV Solar, Wind and other renewable power sources
non-EV batteries and other energy storage stuff
Forum rules
Important!
This forum is for discussion of Non-EV matters.
coulomb
Site Admin

Re: PIP-5048MK inverter

Post by coulomb »

Jaco Venter wrote: Tue, 21 May 2019, 03:35 Did a test over the weekend by connecting 2 panels in series and 6 strings.
Neat!
Started up with that on Saturday morning and even before 08:00 the PV Watts dipped 4 times. I then changed it back to 3 panels in series and 5 strings.
Ok, that sounds pretty convincing that it's not OCV. In your graphs below, it only comes to 124 V, which should be fine.
What I also found is that if the PV Watts freeze up, I only need to switch of the DC feed from the panels to the inverter. After switching the DC feed on again the inverter start using the PV power again.
The Solar Charge Controller operates only from PV power. So that means that resetting the SCC, and not the main DSP (processor), is enough to get things running again. That suggests that the problem lies with the SCC firmware, rather than the DSP firmware. Or maybe it's something that the DSP does (sends to the SCC?) that causes the SCC to crash, and resetting the SCC lets it start again.
Something strange for me, and hopefully you can explain, is that when I switch the PV Infeed to the inverter off the PV volts on the inverter only drop from 124V to about 50V. I expected it to drop to 0V. Is there internal caps inside the inverter keeping some Volts or???
That's because the main SCC MOSFETs have integral anti-parallel diodes, so the PV input can't be less positive than the battery voltage, less one power diode drop (about 0.3 to 0.5 V). The reason it sometimes reports as zero volts is because the SCC isn't running, so there are no reports of SCC current to the DSP, so it assumes zero. There must be large capacitors in the SCC, as you suggested, keeping the SCC processor alive for a minute or so after PV input is removed. And/or the main processor hasn't given up on the SCC just yet, and is using the last PV voltage value that was sent some time ago.
Today it freezed when the batteries reached point where the system needed to change to Solar/Battery. THe moment it change fron Utility to Solar it ran for a while on Utility @ 165 Watts and the Solar supplied the load and the batteries. Almost if the Utility did not want to part from Battery charging as it is set to charge at 2Amps while Utility is on.
Huh. The PIP-5048MKs/Kings have a separate AC to DC converter. There might be large capacitors in that circuit that allows a little extra power to come through even though officially it's turned off.
Some recommendations I received include the option to add an additional King in parallel. (Not to sure if it will solve my (or the Inverter) problem.
Maybe they're trying to move some old stock with known-bad firmware :-O I can't see how that would help.

Just a thought: do the dips coincide with clouds? On my system with plenty of panel power, a mild cloud will dip to 25% of max power, but a dark cloud will dip output to 10% of max power. You seem to have maximum charge current set to 20 A (I'm guessing one Pylontech US2000 or similar?), and 10% of 20 A is just 2 A. Maybe the SCC freaks out and decides that such a low current means it's night time and it's time to shut down. But really you have some 3 kW of available panel power a lot of the time, so it would dip to only around 300 W with dark clouds, which is still 5 A @ 50 V. But it would explain why dips are worst away from noon (when your 3 kW is more like 1.5 - 2 kW).

I wonder if it explains the freezes as well. Maybe a dip to very low PV charge current is treated as twilight: turn off output, and wait for real sunset. A longer dark cloud might convince it that it really is sunset, so actually turn off. But surely when the dark cloud passes, the SCC should start again (oh, it's sunrise already!). So it's a desperate thought.
MG ZS EV 2021 April 2021. Nissan Leaf 2012 with new battery May 2019.
5650 W solar, 2xPIP-4048MS inverters, 16 kWh battery.
Patching PIP-4048/5048 inverter-chargers.
If you appreciate my work, you can buy me a coffee.
coulomb
Site Admin

Post by coulomb »

affer wrote: Tue, 21 May 2019, 03:51 So no major dips in pv, and no freezes.
I would say you had one dip at 14:30 on the first graph. Total charge current dipped to 10 A (utility charging), but SCC charge current dipped to zero.

Edit: BTW: nice production till 9pm (PV voltage present till after 10pm)! (Denmark is approaching summer now.) But production in your winter must be terrible, like a few weak hours or some such.
affer
Groupie

Post by affer »

XtractorFan wrote: Tue, 21 May 2019, 05:32
Now it's my turn to ask:
@affer - what software are you using to get those graphs?
i use this image https://diytechandrepairs.nu/raspberry-solar/ with some settings in grafana by my self.
affer
Groupie

Post by affer »

coulomb wrote: Tue, 21 May 2019, 08:12
affer wrote: Tue, 21 May 2019, 03:51 So no major dips in pv, and no freezes.
I would say you had one dip at 14:30 on the first graph. Total charge current dipped to 10 A (utility charging), but SCC charge current dipped to zero.

Edit: BTW: nice production till 9pm (PV voltage present till after 10pm)! (Denmark is approaching summer now.) But production in your winter must be terrible, like a few weak hours or some such.
yes, that seems correctly, cant say if that was because of clouds, and i recorded no freezing in watts, and you are most correctly about denmark, i dont expect to do much solar production in nov through march.

but here in denmark we have an old agreement that all over production that is sent to the utility in summer periods, we can use in winter (i have a second pv systems that does this) ie, we are putting kwh in the bank, and use them by winther time for a very small fee.
Jaco Venter
Noobie

Post by Jaco Venter »

Good day all

Affer what version firmware is on your machine?

Mine is running on 71.50. Might be interesting if it is different.

We are currently three guys in South Africa with the same issue whereby the PV Watts is falling away. (Seems that it is happening with different Axpert models as well)

Will keep on trying to find the cause as the inverter seems to be fairly ok by sharing the loads if it is operational.

Voltronics need to be made aware of the problem but unfortunately I'm not the direct customer to Voltronics.
affer
Groupie

Post by affer »

Jaco Venter wrote: Fri, 24 May 2019, 03:20 Good day all

Affer what version firmware is on your machine?

Mine is running on 71.50. Might be interesting if it is different.
i am running version 71.61 on mine.. unit produced jan 2019
Jaco Venter
Noobie

Re: PIP-4048MK inverter

Post by Jaco Venter »

@affer and @coulomb how do I get hold of Firmware 71.61 and how do I upload it to the inverter?

Mustek is currently in contact with the manufacturer to try and find a solution to the freeze and dip issue but it might be solved as part of the 71.61 firmware update.
coulomb
Site Admin

Post by coulomb »

Jaco Venter wrote: Tue, 28 May 2019, 02:56 @affer and @coulomb how do I get hold of Firmware 71.61 and how do I upload it to the inverter?

Mustek is currently in contact with the manufacturer...
It has to come from the manufacturer. Perhaps mention to Mustek that 71.61 exists, and that you suspect it might solve the problem. If so, it's an easy way to get you off their backs.

Edit: 71.61 sounds like a bug fix release, as major releases usually end in a zero. So that may give a slightly better chance that it will fix the problem.
affer
Groupie

Post by affer »

Jaco Venter wrote: Tue, 28 May 2019, 02:56 @affer and @coulomb how do I get hold of Firmware 71.61 and how do I upload it to the inverter?

Mustek is currently in contact with the manufacturer to try and find a solution to the freeze and dip issue but it might be solved as part of the 71.61 firmware update.
i never did an update on a mpp yet.. looking forward to the first in the near future :-D @coulomb, will you guys be doing firmware modifications for the MK series ?
coulomb
Site Admin

Post by coulomb »

affer wrote: Tue, 28 May 2019, 23:53 will you guys be doing firmware modifications for the MK series ?
We'd like to. But first, we have to get hold of some firmware to patch.

Unless of course, lightning strikes :idea: and the manufacturer fixes at least the premature float bugs.
suorama
Groupie

Post by suorama »

Hi, again ;)

I ask from MPP-Solar if they are get forward that firmware (they promise that new one by end of may).
Well, they ask me to wait that month also...

I hope they can make many fixes to that firmware...

[OT]
What you say if I took my 800W windmill and use 3-phase rectifier to make that to DC power.
Then feed that power to one of my solar charger. Will that work if windmill can produce enough high voltage?
My windmill is 800W and 48V nominally. I'm not measure anything yet, but if I must guess something, it must produce at least 60V.
I do not know what is "Voc" with that wind mill. But soon I can measure it. I got yesterday over 8m pole to install it.
One reason why I want to use solar charger is, because then I can use same measure program to collect all data of my production =D
[/OT]
affer
Groupie

Post by affer »

Suddenly today at 1530sh my pv wattage stopped outputting (the voltage remainded at 103ish voltage.) it has been running fine for a month now. here after a good hour it still not producing anything.. normally it would power my load. Sun is shining just fine. like the input module stopped working, will see tomorrow if it starts.

any1 else seen this before? it is set to Solar - Battery - Utility. so there should be output from the pip as of now.. even though the battery is charged.
Attachments
Screenshot 2019-06-05 at 16.39.18.png
Screenshot 2019-06-05 at 16.39.18.png (1014.46 KiB) Viewed 8431 times
coulomb
Site Admin

Post by coulomb »

affer wrote: Wed, 05 Jun 2019, 22:43 any1 else seen this before?
Well, yes. This is presumably the freeze. @Jaco Venter and others have been suffering from frequent pauses (dips to zero PV power), and infrequent freezes.

It seems that you have no pauses, and very infrequent freezes. So whatever they did in main firmware for Kings 71.70, it's vastly improved, but not yet fixed.

I suppose it's possible that this is some other issue, but it walks like a freeze, sounds like a freeze... :|
Jaco Venter
Noobie

Post by Jaco Venter »

Hi @affer did your PV start producing the next day or did you have to reset the PV going into the Inverter?

Did you experience the freeze of PV Power again afterwards?

Do you still experiencing dips of PV power to zero (Sometimes load related and other times not)

@affer I understand the newer inverters (2019 03 onwards has 71.70 firmware installed)

I placed all my hope on the 71.61 firmware update but now it sound like it still happens???

Hopefully the 71.70 will sort the problem finally.

Please keep us updated??

I'm still trying to get my supplier to source the 71.70 firmware update from Voltronic Power, but with no luck at this stage.
affer
Groupie

Post by affer »

Yes it did start the day after, i did not restart the unit. no freezes since,
on my graph it seems the PV goes to 0, but i think it is because of heavy clouds coming in. the unit still produces somewhat little power.

i hopw the firmware will soon get released. i will update too.
affer
Groupie

Re: PIP-4048MK inverter

Post by affer »

Got a mail from mpp solar.. 2018 Mk models is with older hw version, we should not expect firmware update for bms for this one, from 2019 is new hardware, and should be delivered with newest firmware, no saying about a release of a new firmware for either, but apparently two different hardware versions.

mine is confirmed the newest one from 01/2019.
Last edited by affer on Mon, 10 Jun 2019, 23:26, edited 1 time in total.
coulomb
Site Admin

Post by coulomb »

affer wrote: Mon, 10 Jun 2019, 22:28 Got a mail from mpp solar..
Sigh. They seem to be answering the question about talking to a Pylontech battery directly, and to have ignored the much more important question (which affects everyone, regardless of battery chemistry or brand) about the PV pause and freeze bug(s).

Why is customer service so hard for so many Chinese (including Taiwanese) companies?
DCS-PV
Noobie

Post by DCS-PV »

Jaco,

Any luck with the 71.70 firmware?
coulomb
Site Admin

Post by coulomb »

coulomb wrote: Mon, 10 Jun 2019, 22:48 They seem to be answering the question about talking to a Pylontech battery directly, and to have ignored the much more important question... about the PV pause and freeze bug(s).
Perhaps my whinging was premature. I just realised that you already have the latest firmware that we know of. Perhaps you didn't ask about the PV problems at all?
suorama
Groupie

Post by suorama »

I got today new Remote Panel_Reflash_MCU & FW71.80P links from MPPSolar. Also link to new WatchPower software.

I test those and tell what happens.
Jaco Venter
Noobie

Post by Jaco Venter »

DCS-PV wrote: Tue, 11 Jun 2019, 03:46 Jaco,

Any luck with the 71.70 firmware?
Nope, seems that Firmware is like dealing with illegal whatever.

Although newer inverters is distributed with 71.70 the firmware is nowhere to be found.

Only solution according to me is to return the inverter for a refund and to buy something better.

Currently busy with supplier to return the inverter.
Jaco Venter
Noobie

Post by Jaco Venter »

suorama wrote: Tue, 11 Jun 2019, 23:07 I got today new Remote Panel_Reflash_MCU & FW71.80P links from MPPSolar. Also link to new WatchPower software.

I test those and tell what happens.
Hi @suorama can you please explain in english what you received?? :lol: :lol:

Is it hardware or software and will it be possible to E-Mail?

I'm in desperate need of a solution for my 71.50 inverter PV dips and freezing.
suorama
Groupie

Post by suorama »

Sorry if I'm so exited...

But I just copy and paste few words from my mail. And forgot add "these"...
Ok, I also write damn worse. =)

But I hope that my test and files give you a hope. And I hope you can understand now what I mean ;)

Please download the firmware Remote Panel_Reflash_MCU.7z & MK 5KW71.80P.7z from this link XXXXX and YYYYY to update the unit then download and install the latest version Watchpower from this link:
http://www.mppsolar.com/manual/Watchpow ... 1.13SP2.7z

[edit] I remove links because of (and if I read right, there is at least two hardware versions. I do not know what version mine is. My inverters have label with 11/2018. So maybe thise is older version or not. Anyway, do not update if you do not know what you do. No warranty that works others.):

"We suggest that please don't share this firmware to others because we can't confirm whether they can correctly update this firmware and our technical support policy disallow user to download firmware by from unknown source to install . All firmwares are provided form our engineer and the premise was that they confirmed the case can be solved by updating firmware. We are in order to avoid the misunderstand for future warranty, so we hope this firmware don't be shared.

Thanks for your understanding and help."
[/edit]

After update, I can read all inverters through one. You can see that from pic.
WP.JPG
WP.JPG (117.84 KiB) Viewed 8342 times
And now example ICC can show right values and can handle all three via one inverter.
Last edited by suorama on Wed, 12 Jun 2019, 10:54, edited 5 times in total.
suorama
Groupie

Post by suorama »

ICC2.JPG
ICC2.JPG (239.86 KiB) Viewed 8341 times
As you can see
suorama
Groupie

Post by suorama »

My inverters was with following specs:
U1 71 50
U2 01 12
U3 00 21
U4 00 00

After MCU update
U1 71 50
U2 02 00
U3 88 88
U4 01 10

After FW update
U1 71 80
U2 02 00
U3 00 21 (exept one left to 88 88)
U4 01 10

So if you look that earlier post WatchPower screen shot, you can notice U1 is main CPU and U4 is secondary CPU.

edit:
U3 seems to be Bluetooth CPU