Converting Suzuki Quadrunner ATV to EV: DIY kit any good?

Technical discussion on converting internal combustion to electric
tigger_na
Noobie

Converting Suzuki Quadrunner ATV to EV: DIY kit any good?

Post by tigger_na » Mon, 03 Jun 2019, 13:23

Dear Forumites

I'm a mechanical engineer with rudimentary electrical knowledge. I'm employed on a farm in Namibia, and would like to convert one of our scrapped quads, most likely a Suzuki Quadrunner LT250, because it is light and uncomplicated, into an EV. I'd like a range of more than 50km for maintenance tasks around the farm, but I think that this would make the conversion too expensive, so I'm willing to settle for between 32 to 40km, in the interest of cost and battery longevity. The quad should carry one person only, including a few tools, so a 100kg payload would be sufficient. Top speed should be no more than 45 km/h, but above 30km/h. The largest operational radius is 20km, as the crow flies. Performance can be slothish, again in the interest of increased range.

Denzel, a Chinese company, sells a kit, including a 10kW motor, Kelly controller KBS 7218EW, throttle, voltage indicator, speed limit switcher and alarm with remote control for USD600/set. Add to that a 72V 60Ah LiFePo battery for USD1,250, and I'm in the game for USD1,850, shipping included. The most difficult part of the installation is installing the motor on the original chain drive, and getting it water- and dust-proofed. It does have an internal fan, so even that is taken care of. The rest is plug and play.

Which strikes me, even in my ignorance, as extremely naive. Is it?

Best regards
Arthur

Motor:
https://www.facebook.com/denzelbike/pos ... 035000713/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0cGuGsQX7Q

Battery:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3289616 ... b201603_52

Richo

Re: Converting Suzuki Quadrunner to electric

Post by Richo » Tue, 04 Jun 2019, 13:23

BMS
Battery Box
Charger
Main fuse

But yes it is..
Help prevent road rage - get outta my way! Blasphemy is a swear word. Magnetic North is a south Pole.

tigger_na
Noobie

Post by tigger_na » Tue, 04 Jun 2019, 14:04

Thank you for the reply.
Richo wrote:
Tue, 04 Jun 2019, 13:23
But yes it is..
By which, I presume you mean to say that yes, it is naive? Perhaps I should have phrased the question more clearly, as in "how naive is this, and what major challenges can I expect"? ;)

The batteries come in their own battery box, which I reckon can be strengthened or reconfigured as required. A BMS and charger is also included in the battery price, but the standard 50A BMS will have to be uprated to 150A, which I think should be sufficient. I'm waiting for a price from the seller in this regard, if indeed he is willing to go that high. Fuses I'll be able to procure locally.

Richo

Re: Converting Suzuki Quadrunner ATV to EV: DIY kit any good?

Post by Richo » Tue, 04 Jun 2019, 15:37

But yes it is... easy (plug and play)
Help prevent road rage - get outta my way! Blasphemy is a swear word. Magnetic North is a south Pole.

Richo

Post by Richo » Tue, 04 Jun 2019, 15:39

The charger is unlikely to be approved for use in Aus.
Replace the mains cable with a locally bought part.
Pot luck on the quality inside.

Iv'e had stuff where the 3-pin mains doesn't even have the earth wire grounded on the product.

Richo

Post by Richo » Tue, 04 Jun 2019, 15:43

tigger_na wrote:
Tue, 04 Jun 2019, 14:04
what major challenges can I expect?
If there are setup issues between the controller and motor can this be adjusted?
Is there a separate programming box from the controller?

Plugging the hall wires in a different sequence to the phase wires can be an issue.
Start with a really small fuse just to see it turn on the bench.

Richo

Post by Richo » Tue, 04 Jun 2019, 15:44

tigger_na wrote:
Mon, 03 Jun 2019, 13:23
I'd like a range of more than 50km for maintenance tasks around the farm, but I think that this would make the conversion too expensive, so I'm willing to settle for between 32 to 40km
Battery capacity is quite varied off-road.
What happens if your pack isn't big enough?

tigger_na
Noobie

Post by tigger_na » Tue, 04 Jun 2019, 16:04

This is excellent news, thank you!
• I'm not from Australia, so charger approval, or any approval, isn't too much of an issue, luckily. I'll just have to accept responsibility for the system not blowing up under the driver's ass.
• Yes, compatibility issues will present a challenge which I'm rather ill equipped to sort out. With a good online community such as this one I should be able to cope, though.
• Although the area that we need to cover is huge, we stick to dirt roads, so there's very little true offroad driving involved. If the range is shorter than anticipated, the quad can always be assigned to office staff, who cover much shorter distances and can easily charge for a few hours in-between trips.

I don't expect the system to be perfect. I want it to get me started as fast as possible, so we can gain usage and design experience in EVs. OEM EVs are too expensive and complicated to consider. The earlier one can get on the learning curve, the better. OTOH, a total loss, rather total unsuitability of components, is something that I would hate to commit to.

Richo

Post by Richo » Wed, 05 Jun 2019, 09:57

Mechanically you'll need to know the coupling to the wheel from the motor.
There seem to be a few variants to the LT250?!?
Is it just a chain and sprockets?

If so you'll need a sprocket for the motor.

I'd think it would be okay for a general run about.

tigger_na
Noobie

Post by tigger_na » Wed, 05 Jun 2019, 13:05

Our LT250s are chain-driven, a sprocket is included with the motor kit. I doubt whether it has the exact right number of teeth.

Richo

Post by Richo » Thu, 06 Jun 2019, 12:53

Here is the link for the motor specs.
http://www.eastgem.net/d7500.html

And the specs don't agree with physics...

10,000W and 4,500RPM is 21Nm NOT 100Nm.
or
100Nm and 4,500RPM is 47,123W

7,500W and 4,000RPM is 18Nm NOT 50Nm.
or
50Nm and 4,000RPM is 20,943W

IF 7.5kW is the input power with 82% efficiency the output power would be 6.15kW.
6.15kW at 4,000RPM is 15Nm.

Anycase I'd start with the smallest sprocket you can get 11 or 12 teeth for the motor.

tigger_na
Noobie

Post by tigger_na » Thu, 06 Jun 2019, 14:32

You and your physics! I see on the forums that this isn't the first time you wave physics in the face of Internet facts, is it?

Yes, I saw that too. I figure that they have a wheel of fortune which will determine what specs to put up on the web? Many do. I'd be inclined to believe the 7.5kW / 4,000 rpm claim. The 18Nm should be more than enough before de-rating. Figuring out the right sprocket combination will have to be done in the workshop, after testing, not in the office while the motor is still in the mail.

Richo wrote:
Thu, 06 Jun 2019, 12:53
Anycase I'd start with the smallest sprocket you can get 11 or 12 teeth for the motor.
Thank you, I'll ask.

On a side note, they're not too fast to answer queries by mail. I can deal with experimenting, within limits, but I cannot deal with tardy response time from a supplier. If they'r slow before selling, they must be glacial after the my money hits their bank. Maybe the project is dead even before it started :-(

Richo

Post by Richo » Fri, 07 Jun 2019, 13:19

Ha ha this guy, although in Russian, found the same thing...
https://electrotransport.ru/ussr/index.php?msg=1211970

Looks like it comes with the 14T and 15T sprocket.

I read through most of that thread.
The best I can see is that the motor is more closer to 4.5kW/9kW.
But no confirmed tests.

Which is still ok i guess.
75-100cc equivalent perhaps.