What is happening with Renault EVs in Australia?

Renault EV Interest Group
LouB
Groupie

What is happening with Renault EVs in Australia?

Post by LouB » Wed, 15 May 2019, 14:41

On the surface, it seems that nothing is happening on the Renault EV scene in Australia. Has anyone seen any TV ads? I haven't. Though there is lots of TV advertising for Renault gas guzzlers. The Renault Australia Home page has the same stuff re: EVs as when we bought our Zoe, that is: 7 months ago.

The original Sydney Renault EV dealer has disappeared. Although 2 others have supposedly taken over, original buyers were not advised of this, nor that a crucial update to their R-LINK on-board-display was available.

Maybe it's because we, in the southern antipodes (arse end of the world) are known for walking on our heads.

jonescg

Re: What is happening with Renault EVs in Australia?

Post by jonescg » Wed, 15 May 2019, 16:15

Yeah it's pretty disappointing the radio silence. They were struggling to get them in at one point, so I reckon they have put a self-imposed stop-sale on them. It's possibly been too effective.

I'm borrowing a Demo Zoe to drive to Esperance in a couple of weeks. Shirwin had no problem letting me take their only demo car for a 1400 km trip, although we are going to put some video together as promotion and information on how to manage the charging etc. In the end, they really need to shave $10k off the price of the car to move them.
AEVA National Secretary, WA branch chair.

LouB
Groupie

Post by LouB » Thu, 16 May 2019, 12:54

Hi Chris,

I don't think you are far wrong about Renault Australia's self-imposed stop-sale.

By now everyone must have been taking note of the big push in the NRMA's Open Road magazine to support the EV revolution. However, there has not been a single article or indeed even mention of Renault Zoe or Kangoo Z.E. I place the blame directly with Renault Australia for not bothering to get what amounts to free publicity in a publication that reaches so many Australians. The Hyundai Kogan has only just been made available, and has already featured in the latest issue of Open Road. Good on them!

And good on you too for taking on what should be an eye-opening EV journey and adding some significant promotion.

jonescg

Post by jonescg » Thu, 16 May 2019, 13:45

Yeah looking forward to people in Esperance telling me you can't drive an electric car to Esperance.
AEVA National Secretary, WA branch chair.