Francisco's Electric Pajero

Post up a thread for your EV. Progress pics, description and assorted alliteration
francisco.shi

Re: Francisco's Electric Pajero

Post by francisco.shi »

I thought about that but the problem is I can not control the down movement of the hoist accurately enough. The pack fits so tightly into the chassis of the car that I have to align it to the chassis as the battery goes in. Once it is in the right place then it is fine. To do that I need up/down accuracy of a few mm so that I can get things to align correctly.
If I was doing mass assembly it would be no problem as I could build something to keep everything in the right place.
jonescg

Post by jonescg »

I did exactly that with my hoist. I guess being fairly new the control was pretty good.
AEVA National President, WA branch director.
francisco.shi

Post by francisco.shi »

There is only about 5mm clearance between the chassis and the battery box so I need align the box to the chassis very accurately. The hoist has a pull down leavers to lower it but it is a little difficult to move it down slowly. Also the leaver is on the side of the hoist so I would have to move down a little then get under the car and move the battery box then go back to the leavers and repeat. If I go down too much and the battery box is not aligned then the chassis puts pressure on the battery box and I can not move it then I have to go back out and lift the car a little. So I think it will be better to move the battery up using a manual jack that I can control accurately.
esyjam
Noobie

Post by esyjam »

Hi Francisco,

By any chance can you share the motor model or where you brought the motor!

Regards,
magicpower
Noobie

Post by magicpower »

Hi Francisco,

your DIY Battery with the LG E63 cells are very interesting.
-where did you buy the cells and how much do you pay?
-I`m looking for a 22S 60Ah - 75Ah battery for my new E-Trike

Regards
francisco.shi

Post by francisco.shi »

About the motor part number is TZ210XS45H-320.
I got it from some Chinese company but it is a bit difficult to buy from them. They do not want to sell to private buyers.
francisco.shi

Post by francisco.shi »

I did a group buy a while ago. I still have some left if you are interested. They are about A$65 per cell. Let me know if you want them.
francisco.shi

Post by francisco.shi »

I have been a bit busy for a while and didn't really have time to work on the Pajero. I have managed to get back into it and I am now working on the inverter to drive the motor. I got the gate driver board made.
IGBT Gate drive board.
IGBT Gate drive board.
15779286035601025195610.jpg (1.28 MiB) Viewed 7273 times
Here is a picture of the power module.
IGBT power module
IGBT power module
1577928757447145684287.jpg (1.31 MiB) Viewed 7273 times
It has two IGBT packs each with its own gate drive board all mounted on a water cooled block with 1000uF bus capacitor and input bus bar. It should be able to drive 800A @500 continuous. The motor terminals bolt directly to the IGBT output. I have separated the windings on the motor so half go to one pack and the other half goes to the other pack. This allows for good current sharing between the packs.
I will post some pictures of the motor when I get it assembled. I am hoping to have the motor turning in the next few days all going well.
jonescg

Post by jonescg »

Always respect for those who roll their own inverters. Looks great. What's the drivers board based off? I see the VESC boards are popular.
AEVA National President, WA branch director.
magicpower
Noobie

Post by magicpower »

francisco.shi wrote: Thu, 02 Jan 2020, 09:28 I did a group buy a while ago. I still have some left if you are interested. They are about A$65 per cell. Let me know if you want them.
Hi,

thanks for the offer, I`m in EU so the postage is too high, I will offer maybe a EU group buy.

Is the LG E63B 63Ah cell still a strong cell in your eyes?
francisco.shi

Post by francisco.shi »

I think they are very good cells. Having the tabs on opposite sides makes it easy to connect them together and reduces the amount of copper you need for busbars.
francisco.shi

Post by francisco.shi »

It is mostly my own design. The DC-DC converters (the 3 transformers with associated drivers oscillator and rectifier on the secondaries) is a pretty standard way of doing isolated psu for gate drives. I just used newer parts for the transistors that drive the primary. There are two transistors in one chip which makes it easy for the layout.
Then there are two infineon gate drive chips one is a boost ic which is just a single channel buffer. It can drive up to about 15A into the gate. The other chip (which is under the transformer so you can not see it) is a 2 channel isolated drive. It does the isolation and desaturation protection. It can only drive 2A so the need for the boost chip.
It is so much easier these days with all the custom chips that do everything.
In the past I had to do all of this stuff with discrete components. It made everything so much bigger and many of the parts ended up bigger than they needed to be just because of what they were designed for. Transistors are a very good example you can get very small transistors with very high peak current rating. In the past you had to use a bigger case just because they were designed to run continuously. So far I have tested it to 20khz but I think that is about the limit of what it can do before it starts overheating. The IGBTs have quite a large gate capacitance. The aim is to switch as slow as possible but fast enough that you can not hear the switching frequency under full load. My main concern are the switching losses at full current.
francisco.shi

Post by francisco.shi »

I didn't know about the VESC project.
I think it is a good idea to use existing hardware.
Maybe we should start a similar project for EVs.
francisco.shi

Post by francisco.shi »

I have been doing some further testing of the power stage. This time driving the motor. I put some wires between the motor and the power stage because I can't get to the components when it is mounted to the back of the motor.
I got a friend to lend me a board he has been using to learn about Field Oriented Control. Unfortunately the processor he is using is not fast enough to run the motor at full speed. The next thing I want to test is the rigidity of the mounting of the battery box.
The plan is to install the motor and put the car against a tree or something solid and drive the motor at full torque to see how much the battery box twists.
I hope I can do this in the next few days. I will post a video.

Here is a video if the motor spinning.
https://youtu.be/0ruQ-FQfgFA

[ Edited Coulomb: fixed tube tags; only the video ID must appear between tube tags. ]
esyjam
Noobie

Post by esyjam »

Hi Francisco,
Good step, are you looking to do regen with FOC?
francisco.shi

Post by francisco.shi »

Yes. It already does regen.
The current processor is too slow to run the motor smoothly at full speed and it doesn't have enough pwm outputs to run the resolver and the 3ph bridge. So I will use a different processor on the final version. This setup is so that I can test the structural strength of the battery box and all the mechanical components. The plan is to put the test rolling chassis with a motor to drive the back wheels and drive it up to an immovable object (like a tree) and apply full torque to the motor and see that nothing bends. I will be doing the test with a 12v battery so it will not be able to move very fast. I do not expect it will be able to spin the wheels on a concrete surface.
Rusdy
Groupie

Post by Rusdy »

francisco.shi wrote: Tue, 14 Jan 2020, 07:43 ... and apply full torque to the motor and see that nothing bends...
Hmmm... I can see tug war test YouTube channel coming up with your Pajero. Maybe try with a Hilux first? :D
francisco.shi

Post by francisco.shi »

I am not expecting it to be able to spin the wheels. That means that a highlux on low range and 1000kg on the back will pull the Pajero.
As much as it looks impressive for a Tesla to drag a Ute it is all about grip. Any old Ute with enough weight on the back and in low range will drag any Tesla any day with little effort.
JD Solar and EV
Noobie

Post by JD Solar and EV »

Wow, there are people posting in here.

Well there you go..... :D
Current AEVA QLD Chairman

Check out my EV videos at JD Solar and EV YouTube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNMxXc ... bUTfpHU5LQ
francisco.shi

Post by francisco.shi »

A bit of a test drive.

Just testing the mechanics and the gate drive. So far only running one motor at 30% of peak torque.
T1 Terry

Post by T1 Terry »

It that a smashed windscreen? Part of the engine & Transmission removal or prior to the job?

T1 Terry
Green but want to learn
francisco.shi

Post by francisco.shi »

I bought a rolling chassis from the wreckers so I could do the testing and measurements without having to pull apart the one I am using. Once I get everything right I will pull apart the real one and transfer everything across. Because the motors and battery are all one unit I expect it will take longer to get the petrol engine, transmission and associated ICE stuff than to install the electric conversion.
The smashed windscreen was from the wreckers taking the engine out.
T1 Terry

Post by T1 Terry »

Clever move, maybe you can find someone who wants the rolling chassis EV powered to run around their property or as a number plate swap unit for one they had written off.

T1 Terry
Green but want to learn
francisco.shi

Post by francisco.shi »

I think it is too bad. It has no brakes. Only regen braking :twisted: It is good enough to hold it on a slope.
esyjam
Noobie

Post by esyjam »

francisco.shi wrote: Mon, 03 Feb 2020, 17:14 A bit of a test drive.

Just testing the mechanics and the gate drive. So far only running one motor at 30% of peak torque.
Nice, this is impressive. Moving a 2 tons SUV silently with ease.