quick question about temporary(test) batteries in an EV

Post up a thread for your EV. Progress pics, description and assorted alliteration
HindooCow
Noobie

quick question about temporary(test) batteries in an EV

Post by HindooCow » Thu, 18 Apr 2019, 17:13

Hey guys,

I'm just after some quick advice: I Bought my first EV recently - a 1991 daihatsu charade converted with an 8" DC motor and (by all accounts crappy) curtis controller.

it previously had 10 x 12v lead acid car batteries powering it, 5 up front, and 5 under the rear passenger seats. The original batteries are long gone.

What Id like to know is can I hook up some crappy second hand lead acid batteries to test it out and get a feel for the car before I commit to a serious investment such as lifepo4 etc.

I've been interested in EV's for a while and have picked up some basic knowledge, however still have some large gaps, so any advice would be appreciated.

What if for example:

1. those batteries we're of different manufacture/specs... would that be an issue?

2. there were say 7 or 8 batteries instead of 10... i would just have less voltage and presumably less range. Would there be any other issues/downsides?

Thanks ! :)

Johny

Re: quick question about temporary(test) batteries in an EV

Post by Johny » Thu, 18 Apr 2019, 22:19

The lower voltage may be an issue for either the motor controller or the DC-DC (if fitted). If you google the controller you should be able to get some specs. for it which should include minimum voltage for operation.
You will very quickly kill any standard 12v batteries but if you don't care about them they should give you a few charges to test the system.
Take care NOT to use the charger intended for the full 10 batteries though. You will probably have to charge your temporary pack one at a time with a 12v charger.

francisco.shi
Groupie

Post by francisco.shi » Fri, 19 Apr 2019, 13:10

If you were in Brisbane you could borrow one of my battery modules.

HindooCow
Noobie

Post by HindooCow » Sun, 21 Apr 2019, 06:26

Awesome, thanks guys, I've got enough to meet the minimum specs so ill go for a little test run once ive charged the batteries :D