Cannot connect to live services

Renault EV Interest Group
doggy
Groupie

Cannot connect to live services

Post by doggy » Sun, 14 Apr 2019, 08:44

My Zoe has developed a problem.

The time is missing and the various options that can normally be used to set it are greyed out.

Speed cameras are no longer accessible nor is TomTom Live. So traffic delays also do not show. These things all show "Cannot connect to live services- try again later".

However, TomTom navigation works with correct ETAs so I assume that is using clock from the GPS.

The Network status is good with max signal and reports "Connected".

I have tried turning everything off, pulling the 10A relevant fuse for the multimedia system, exitting and locking the car and then putting back the fuse and turning things back on. No improvement.

Anyone seen this or have any suggestions?

Regards,
Dave

antiscab

Re: Cannot connect to live services

Post by antiscab » Sun, 14 Apr 2019, 08:49

interesting - those functions have never worked on our Zoe

were you able to schedule charging too?
Matt
2017 Renault zoe - 25'000km
2007 vectrix - 156'000km
1998 prius - needs Batt
1999 Prius - needs batt
2000 prius - has 200 x headway 38120 cells

doggy
Groupie

Post by doggy » Sun, 14 Apr 2019, 09:01

All those functions and the Renault Store have worked since day 1 (but not for the past 5 days) on our Zoe. So you should definitely have them. Likewise with software updates- have you been able to do them? However there have not been any software updates (at least for our car) since last year. So you have not had live traffic reports of delays and speed camera/ red light camera warnings? You do have to enable those warnings.

Scheduling time has never worked and that is because you have to be signed up to the specific services and that is not yet possible for people in Australia. The subject of ongoing lobbying to Renault Australia. It should be so simple but perhaps it is something to do with the radical time zone difference between here and the server location (which is in France). Works in France, Belgium, Netherlands, UK, Germany, Spain.

Next step, I might remove the SD card and see if there are any updates via computer and download them to the card.

Cheers,
Dave

antiscab

Post by antiscab » Sun, 14 Apr 2019, 09:17

That's good to know
The little clip holding the SD card in on your car broke a while back, we're in the process of getting renault to replace it under warranty. So we haven't used the on board GPS in some time.
Having said that, google maps on my phone is light years ahead of TomTom anyway

If access to TomTom live isn't resolved, I'm tempted to get Andriod Auto enabled:
https://canze.fisch.lu/android-auto-als ... t-of-zoes/
Matt
2017 Renault zoe - 25'000km
2007 vectrix - 156'000km
1998 prius - needs Batt
1999 Prius - needs batt
2000 prius - has 200 x headway 38120 cells

TomZoe
Groupie

Post by TomZoe » Mon, 15 Apr 2019, 13:59

We would like to advise your Renault requires an R-link Update by 6 April. Please visit bit.ly/2CuVZh8 for more information, opt out- bit.ly/Renault-Opt-Out

TomZoe
Groupie

Post by TomZoe » Mon, 15 Apr 2019, 14:04

So I did that (the above) - I did mention it in my service post to avoid what you’ve described.

It’s a bit fiddly - you post that link into a computer.

Then download.

Then I think unzip.

Then put whole folder onto a USB stick.

Then take stick to Zoe.

Then start Zoe.

Then stick USB stick into the car.

Then rlink asks u to update and select yes.

Then wait for update to unload into Zoe about 10-15 minutes.

Don’t touch anything until finished and then when finished hit ok, remove USB stick and turn off Zoe.

doggy
Groupie

Post by doggy » Mon, 15 Apr 2019, 14:19

Hi Tom, I am surprised you had to do an update for the GPS rollover bug. That bug should only affect quite old GPS systems from well before Zoe!

When I enter my Zoe VIN it says I do not need any updates. I assume when you entered your VIN it said you did need an update.........

Cheers,
Dave

doggy
Groupie

Post by doggy » Mon, 15 Apr 2019, 14:27

Hi Tom,

Prompted by your email, I went to that link again and VERY carefully entered my VIN again. This time, I got the update to download instead of "there is no update for your vehicle".

So, I do not know if I somehow I got a zero/letter-o typo last time or they are doing a rolling rollout.

I have certainly (unlike you) received no notification.

So, with some excitement, I shall try the update and see if things get fixed and restored.

Cheers & thanks so much for the effective prompt to try again,
Dave

doggy
Groupie

Post by doggy » Mon, 15 Apr 2019, 16:05

AAAaaarrrggghhhh,
The update did the slowly filling yellow line and then went to a "TomTom" message with highlighting moving from left to right.
Over an hour later, it is still doing this.
Worse, the radio is on and will not turn off. Cannot change the volume or the station but it is on all the time. Even after locking and leaving the vehicle.
This is not going to be good for the 12V battery.
I have tried a reset of R-Link (in case you do not know how to do this- press the Home button to the right of the display five times in a row, quickly.) Screen blanks, "TomTom" displayed. Then brief gap and "TomTom" again with the left to right scrolling highlighting. So the upgrade seems to have failed and be stuck in a loop.
Cheers,
Dave

doggy
Groupie

Post by doggy » Mon, 15 Apr 2019, 16:47

I went to dinner and an hour after leaving the car found that it had finally turned off, including the radio.
Turned it back on and hey presto- R-Link is working again, all maps are there and all Live Services are working again
The time is still missing but the car is in the garage against a cliff face and there are no GPS satellites so hopefully time will be acquired when I next take out the car.
So it looks like the lack of this update is what caused my woes.
Best Regards,
Dave

TomZoe
Groupie

Post by TomZoe » Tue, 16 Apr 2019, 03:51

Glad this worked for you.

I was surprised I had to do the update the evening of my car getting serviced! I would of thought they could do for me.

I also wish Zoe herself could connect with either wifi wifi or mobile like a Tesla does.

Anyway - good u sorted -I presume others here haven’t noticed.

Regards
Tom

doggy
Groupie

Post by doggy » Tue, 16 Apr 2019, 04:52

Hi Tom,
Yes, I would have thought the service people should have done your update. perhaps they are car people and not very IT oriented?
The symptoms of the problem were not glaringly obvious. The lack of the clock was the main thing, but because the Navigation was unaffected it was of little import. I only occasionally check for online updates and very occasionally use the Live features. The absence of traffic delays was also not very obvious because it was the same behavior as no delays. I have since found a number of people reporting exactly what happened to me on the Renault forums. One tip is to make sure the charging cable is removed before doing the update. It appears this is what was causing the hanging at the end of the update even though I was not charging. I'll be contacting Renault as to why I was not advised of the update.

Cheers,
Dave

TomZoe
Groupie

Post by TomZoe » Tue, 16 Apr 2019, 05:10

Well I didn’t have charging cable attached so that’s a good tip but instructions said that engine had to be on which can’t happen if charge cable in.

TomZoe
Groupie

Post by TomZoe » Tue, 16 Apr 2019, 05:14

I think that the Renault staff still getting their heads around thing.

How and where do you check for updates - I’ve never done this.

doggy
Groupie

Post by doggy » Tue, 16 Apr 2019, 05:19

Hi Tom, I had engine off all the way through the update!
The charge cable thing impacted one other person on the Renault forum. I had removed it as I was running out of ideas but nice to have confirmed it was a major problem.
I have just now prompted Renault on Connected Services and also asking why I was not notified of the update. Apart from constantly whinging about Connected Services, I am moderately in their good books because they liked my Zoe article.
From the menu for updates. Cannot remember exactly which one, but associated with the RLink Store. One of the updates came through in the notification panel. By the way, worth checking that your SIM is connected properly via the Status screen as without that, nothing much works in the live stuff. The fix is to remove fuse 31 and then replace. It has happened to me twice in about 10 months.
Cheers,
Dave

LouB
Groupie

Post by LouB » Sun, 28 Apr 2019, 13:04

Today, I did finally manage to run the R-Link update. I say finally, because the process took such a long time and completed in an uncertain manner. Following the advice from this thread, I had no difficulty with downloading and extracting the TOMTOM.000 file to an USB stick. After inserting the USB into the ZOE port, the upgrade began promisingly. Took a whlie for the obviously puny on-board processor to copy the file and then the process appeared to hang up. It took careful and protracted watching of that yellow progress line to determine that it was actually inching forward at about a click/minute. It got to the end after some 15 minutes and then, some time after that, a message appeared saying that the device would reboot in 12 seconds.Screen blinked off and on a couple of times until a TomTom logo, with moving light cursor, appeared. The logo would then just blink off and then on again, in a loop.

I then waited some 10 more minutes but, as nothing else happened, I turned the motor to OFF, ejected the USB stick and left the car. I tried to search the Web for answers and found that others had had similar experiences and that often the thing would work on restarting after a longish wait. So I gave it about an hour before trying again. Before switching motor to ON, I re-inserted the USB stick because I had read that it was important it should remain connected until the process was totally complete. There was some flashing of the USB so it seems that some interaction between on-board processor and USB stick was taking place.This time I got an 'update completed' message and was able to clik OK to finalize.

The display still wasn't showing time or maps but I figured it could have been due to the fact that I had had the car in the garage, inside a steel framed dwelling, and that it may have not been getting radio signal. So I drove it outside and it all came good. Phew!

TomZoe
Groupie

Post by TomZoe » Sun, 28 Apr 2019, 14:30

I think that it just takes a while - I left my Zoe for what seems like a good 30 minutes but it may have been more.

Glad it ended well for you.