X1 vs S6000?

Fonzarelli EV Interest Group
memecode
Groupie

X1 vs S6000?

Post by memecode » Fri, 01 Mar 2019, 10:49

I'm going to test drive the X1 next week. I guess the main competition in my mind the ZEV S6000. The biggest concern other than the price is the small wheels and form factor of the X1. I just don't see it being a good commuter for me (22km each way, 80kph zones, some long steep hills).

Leaning towards the S6000 at this point. But I want to know if I can import it? Who is the right person/company to talk to about that?
$4,595 USD is $6,484 AUD + $1000 in shipping + GST = $8232.4
Compliancing... who knows?

Might scape in under $10k...

antiscab

Re: X1 vs S6000?

Post by antiscab » Fri, 01 Mar 2019, 21:34

Good grief, steer clear of anything zev. They're horrible, and don't meet speed range or acceleration specs.
Matt
2017 Renault zoe - 25'000km
2007 vectrix - 156'000km
1998 prius - needs Batt
1999 Prius - needs batt
2000 prius - has 200 x headway 38120 cells

reecho

Post by reecho » Sat, 02 Mar 2019, 20:03

memecode wrote:
Fri, 01 Mar 2019, 10:49
I'm going to test drive the X1 next week. I guess the main competition in my mind the ZEV S6000. The biggest concern other than the price is the small wheels and form factor of the X1. I just don't see it being a good commuter for me (22km each way, 80kph zones, some long steep hills).

Leaning towards the S6000 at this point. But I want to know if I can import it? Who is the right person/company to talk to about that?
$4,595 USD is $6,484 AUD + $1000 in shipping + GST = $8232.4
Compliancing... who knows?

Might scape in under $10k...
You can import it yourself, but you need prior import approval before it lands. If not you can be up for substantial costs.

Pick the option that is most appropriate.

https://infrastructure.gov.au/vehicles/ ... index.aspx

memecode
Groupie

Post by memecode » Tue, 05 Mar 2019, 11:32

antiscab wrote:
Fri, 01 Mar 2019, 21:34
Good grief, steer clear of anything zev. They're horrible, and don't meet speed range or acceleration specs.
Back to the drawing board... not going to risk $10k to find that out the hard way.

So now the options seem to be conversion or find a vectrix...

memecode
Groupie

Post by memecode » Thu, 07 Mar 2019, 11:01

So a short review after the test ride:

- Not having a clutch meant take off from the lights is smooth as butter. Even a little too peppy down low to the point I would be worried about traction in the wet. Configurable apparently so a non-issue.

- Silence is golden. Love it. Small bit of electric whine at points but so much nicer than ICE vibration and noise.

- It's small. The seat isn't high enough for my 6ft height to find the right position. And it's not long enough to comfortably take a pillon.

- The ride is harsh, the bumps in the road are very obvious, much more so than my large wheel scooter. Handling was ok after all my concerns at least in the short ride I took. Again apparently the suspension is adjustable, but I didn't have time to explore that.

- Range. There is no estimate of remaining range. Which isn't good. Just a percentage, and I started at 92%. I did about 18km, with about half at 80km/h and had about 65% when I got back. So it seems on the face of it that it would cover my 22km commute and back... but not a lot of room for side trips. The slow charge time is 8 hrs. Which is a little TOO slow I think?

- Speed. Got to 80km/h quite easily. 80-90 was slow and then it seems to electronically limit at 90kph. The motor felt like it had more legs but for whatever reason they don't want to go that high. Seems like a common issue with EV scooters though.

- Price... $10k. Apparently it's a "premium" product with a 12 week lead time. But I have trouble believing the premium label. I can see down behind the plastic panels? No clock or range estimate on the dash. So no, it's not a premium product, it's just made in a really expensive place to live. Which is not their fault. I can totally see where all the money goes.

Seems like a Yaris when I need a Camry.

In the end I'm looking for ways of reducing my carbon footprint. And this isn't bang for buck. My current scooter uses 2.7lt/100km and to save that I would spend 10k. I'd rather sink it into a 2010 Prius which my wife could drive to work and back as a 2nd car (ok maybe $12k, but ball park). That would save 6L/100km (Current ICE gets 10L/100km). Which is way more than I'd save on an EV scooter. Or I could look at a home battery to store all the power our solar generates... or maybe there is some other place to spend it?

Yup I'll keep an eye out for a Vectrix.

PJQ2
Noobie

Post by PJQ2 » Tue, 12 Mar 2019, 07:36

Hi Matthew,
Seems like a Yaris when I need a Camry
:lol:

Thanks for posting a good mini-review, as a Scooter commuter interested in going electric I’ve wondered about the Fonzerelli. You’ve described it in perfect bike rider terms. The small scooter format is at home in the inner city where I used to live and the flow never gets to 80 km/h.

I moved to the outer-burbs and the commute is similar to yours: 20 km each way, 80 km/h zones, some long steep hills around Mount Dandenong. My old city steed is a 125cc Aprilia scooter with a 200cc kit. It drinks more (about 3.7 lt/ 100 km) but the 200 kit was like a caffeine injection, making for very fast get-away at lights, a little better on hills, and a good improvement in aggressive 80 km/h commuter flows... but it still feels strained, it's just outside the comfort zone.

I’ve got a 500cc bike that doesn’t break a sweat on the outer-burbs commute, as you’d expect, and for electric the slightly bigger form of the Zero FXS would be better suited.

On their website, the Fonzarelli X1 motor is specified at 3.5 kWh, Max output 13.5 kW. Torque 24.5 N/m, with a caveat about a 100 km/hr variant of the bike (maybe the 3.5 kWh model is capped below 100 km/h).
Zero FXS bikes: 3.6 kWh 20 kW, or 7.2 kWh 34 kW (both rated to 85 mph, 137 km/h, both 106 Nm torque).

There’s a change to Aus import rules that kicks-in at the end of this year. We should be able to import and register models of cars and bikes that haven’t been previously sold here. I’m planning to get serious about importing a second-hand Zero (or similar) early next year.
Cheers,
Pete Q

jonescg

Post by jonescg » Tue, 12 Mar 2019, 14:30

Sounds like you need an electric motorcycle. You can probably do a half-decent conversion for $10,000. At least it would be more thrilling than a scooter, and a fair bit more comfortable.
AEVA National Secretary, WA branch vice-chair