iMiev Recall notice

Mitsubishi EV Interest Group
bmscott
Groupie

iMiev Recall notice

Post by bmscott »

So has everyone gotten the new recall notice? Something about a software update to the Cell Motor Unit.
zzcoopej
Groupie

iMiev Recall notice

Post by zzcoopej »

bmscott wrote: So has everyone gotten the new recall notice? Something about a software update to the Cell Motor Unit.

Yep. Sounds bizarre!
CMU judgement of changes to the temp and voltage of the traction battery can occur when the vehicle is rolling backwards, and this may result in lack of forward acceleration.

A similar issue which I wish they'd fix is that if you're on an incline, the iMiEV will roll when not in Ready. I've been parked in a driveway which slopes down to the road, listening to the radio. Then thinking the iMiEV is on (or ignition not activating "ready"), dropped the handbrake and thought I was driving into the road only for the iMiEV to stop dead. Lucky no-one was driving towards me or I would have been t-boned. Another owner in USA has told me he ripped his charging cable out due to this same issue as he charges on a slope. Bad design, just not sure how to fix it. In an ICE, you hear the engine so you know its good to go, and the charging cable interlock just prevents the iMiEV going to Ready rather than stopping it from moving.

Last edited by zzcoopej on Thu, 11 May 2017, 11:00, edited 1 time in total.
2010 iMiEV
2015 PHEV Aspire
Battery App EvBatMon for PHEV & iMiEV iOS(iPhone,iPad)& Android
www.EvPositive.com
Ultralights
Groupie

iMiev Recall notice

Post by Ultralights »

Just got back from the mitsubishi service centre, 2 recalls are due, first is the Motor unit software update, second is an airbag recall, apparently very recent, notice has been given, but no parts allocated as yet for the recall.
zzcoopej
Groupie

iMiev Recall notice

Post by zzcoopej »

Ultralights wrote: second is an airbag recall, apparently very recent

Thanks for the heads up, I'll definitely sit on my hands for a while as we don't even bother getting Mitsu to service our iMiEV as its out of warranty.

So you now have the same iMiEV + PHEV combination as us! Pretty sweet complimentary pair eh? How much did the iMiEV cost you and how many km did it have on it? Did you find it privately or at a dealer?
2010 iMiEV
2015 PHEV Aspire
www.EvPositive.com
Ultralights
Groupie

iMiev Recall notice

Post by Ultralights »

yep, PHEV and now the Imiev. i met you up at the newcastle EV show, as for the Imiev, got it for $9K, 31,000km   privately through gumtree,   it was advertised for quite a long time, so i am sure it was known to members here, it was under finance, so made the transfer a little tricky, involving meetings at banks etc, but for the price, i was happy to go through that to get it.   and it also needed things like tyres desperately, i didnt drive it until the tyres arrived for fitting in the last few days.

With the PHEV, and Imiev, we will not have to buy a liquid fuel again unless its for trips beyond the Sydney basin.

I took it on a range run today, just lapped the local area, with about 10Km on the freeway at 110Kph,   mixed eco and B mode, driving it as i would a petrol car, quick off the lights etc, drove it 1km on turtle mode, 90 km from full to parking in the driveway.
Last edited by Ultralights on Sat, 13 May 2017, 16:48, edited 1 time in total.
Hippie403
Groupie

iMiev Recall notice

Post by Hippie403 »

So i-MiEV has the lethal air bags too? This issue has been known about for ages, very poor of Mitsubishi to take so long to address the issue. Is is only the passenger front airbag? Would it be safer to disable it until it is replaced?
Ultralights
Groupie

iMiev Recall notice

Post by Ultralights »

Hippie403 wrote: Would it be safer to disable it until it is replaced?

HELL NO...    its recalled because it might fail 1% of the time, or cause injury ,   so if you ever need it, its still got a 99% or more chance of working safely, but if you disconnect it, it has a 100% change of failure and causing injury.
Hippie403
Groupie

iMiev Recall notice

Post by Hippie403 »

I thought the failure mode was peppering you with lethal shrapnel? In a low speed shunt where the airbags are triggered it could kill you, when you would have been uninjured if it was disabled. Turn off and wear a helmet?
acmotor

iMiev Recall notice

Post by acmotor »

zzcoopej wrote: A similar issue which I wish they'd fix is that if you're on an incline, the iMiEV will roll when not in Ready. I've been parked in a driveway which slopes down to the road, listening to the radio. Then thinking the iMiEV is on (or ignition not activating "ready"), dropped the handbrake and thought I was driving into the road only for the iMiEV to stop dead. Lucky no-one was driving towards me or I would have been t-boned. Another owner in USA has told me he ripped his charging cable out due to this same issue as he charges on a slope. Bad design, just not sure how to fix it. In an ICE, you hear the engine so you know its good to go, and the charging cable interlock just prevents the iMiEV going to Ready rather than stopping it from moving.

Yeah, I have done that roll away not in ready too.
I guess you need to be able to tow or tow onto a flatbed even if you can't get to 'ready', so locking vehicle in park wouldn't be a friendly solution. How do other EVs deal with this issue ?
The other point to note is that you are flattening the 12V battery if listening to radio and i not in ready. (DC-DC is not operating)
converted RedSuzi, the first industrial AC induction motor conversion
on to iMiEV MY12 did 114,463km
now Tesla Model 3, 4/2021 MIC pearl white
Ultralights
Groupie

iMiev Recall notice

Post by Ultralights »

Motor software recall all done, still no update on the airbag recall.

My driveway is on a slight incline, and i have had the car roll down, thinking it was in ready mode, only to find i cant steer easily, and the car goes nowhere at the bottom, i might try to see if i can do it again now the recall is completed.
nuggetgalore
Groupie

Re: iMiev Recall notice

Post by nuggetgalore »

Ultralights wrote: Wed, 24 May 2017, 01:39 Motor software recall all done, still no update on the airbag recall.
As mentioned in mothballing thread, I returned to mel after 3 Months in Switzerland . It was certainly warmer there than here ,lol.
The little iMIEV is running OK but it appears the airbag warning light is staying on.
I did not get a recall notice , but then it's a 2010 model and out of warranty, no idea if that makes a difference.

[ Edited Coulomb: added [/quote] ]
mikedufty

Post by mikedufty »

As I understand it there is no actual recall for the airbag yet, just am "advice" on their system. Airbag warning light would be a different issue to the takata recall, which is internal deterioration of the explosive charge and would not show up in any warning lights.

Recalls are not limited to warranty period, I have got the notices for our 2010. Possibly Mitsubishi Australia don't have your contact details. Did you buy it from a Mitsubishi dealer?
nuggetgalore
Groupie

Post by nuggetgalore »

mikedufty wrote: Tue, 05 Sep 2017, 19:55

Recalls are not limited to warranty period, I have got the notices for our 2010. Possibly Mitsubishi Australia don't have your contact details. Did you buy it from a Mitsubishi dealer?
No I bought it private. It never had any recalls attended to but I did get them done through a Mitsubishi dealer. So in theory Mitsubishi ( dealer) have my contact details.They do send me their occasional advertising material.
mikedufty

Post by mikedufty »

You may have to contact Mitsubishi to get registered as the owner, not sure if that would be automatically done on a service, since it is only triggered by change of ownership.
You can check for recalls on their webpage https://www.mitsubishi-motors.com.au/cu ... le-recalls
nuggetgalore
Groupie

Post by nuggetgalore »

mikedufty wrote: Wed, 06 Sep 2017, 09:59 You may have to contact Mitsubishi to get registered as the owner, not sure if that would be automatically done on a service, since it is only triggered by change of ownership.
You can check for recalls on their webpage https://www.mitsubishi-motors.com.au/cu ... le-recalls
I got the recall notice shortly after you posted above.
Got it done including one other they did not do earlier because they had to get the parts.
Airbag warning light was ok until a some days later I must have left a courtesy light on or whatever and flattened the aux batt. I gave the aux a helping hand by connecting a charged spare battery and no worries except: Airbag warning light stayed on!
Mitsubishi scanned the system ,could not find anything wrong. Reset the warning light and did that for free. Very pleased,thank you.
Comet
Noobie

Post by Comet »

I got all my recalls done. Both the software and the airbag, the kept my car an extra couple of days because they could not workout how to take the dash apart.
The local dealer loved having my car as they are all keen to know their way around an electric.
All working fine, not issues. My car is parked on the flat to charge, so I did not encounter any issues.
I-miev it in MY10 with extras!
Ultralights
Groupie

Post by Ultralights »

Another very late update on the recall, with the motor software, and yep, i thought the car was ready, it wasnt, the charger was still plugged in, hand brake off, put it in E, foot off the brake, BANG! ripped the charge plug out.... not much damage to the car, but the plug is no longer a snug fit in the car, but it still charges ok, the cable end though, well, the cable itself pulling sideways in the connector broke a few screws and shattered some plastic, but it still works..

not happy.
PHEV, i-Miev, Youtube @SydEV, Twitter @Sydney_ev Insta @Sydney_ev
nuggetgalore
Groupie

Post by nuggetgalore »

Ultralights wrote: Sat, 05 May 2018, 17:38 Another very late update on the recall, with the motor software, and yep, i thought the car was ready, it wasnt, the charger was still plugged in, hand brake off, put it in E, foot off the brake, BANG! ripped the charge plug out.... not much damage to the car, but the plug is no longer a snug fit in the car, but it still charges ok, the cable end though, well, the cable itself pulling sideways in the connector broke a few screws and shattered some plastic, but it still works..

not happy.
So was that unhappy event because of a fault in the controller (software) or the gear selector area?
On my 2010 model I cannot get the green ready sign on if the charge cable is plugged in. I checked to see what happens if I have the "ignition" on and plug in:
the green ready light goes out, car does not start.
antiscab

Post by antiscab »

Does the same thing happen when the plug is plugged in, but the evse has no power attached?

Only asking as I power my evse via a timer. My present car will only stop me from going in drive mode if the evse has power
Matt
2023 BYD Atto 3 - 21k km
2017 Renault zoe - 147'000km
2012 Leaf - 101'000km - soon to be trialing a booster battery
2007 Vectrix - 197'000km (retired)
2007 Vectrix - 50k km
nuggetgalore
Groupie

Post by nuggetgalore »

antiscab wrote: Sat, 05 May 2018, 23:47 Does the same thing happen when the plug is plugged in, but the evse has no power attached?

Only asking as I power my evse via a timer. My present car will only stop me from going in drive mode if the evse has power
Yes . The car is immobilised any time the EVSE is plugged in. Just checked it again, it does not matter if there is power or not.
Ultralights
Groupie

Post by Ultralights »

sadly my driveway is on a slope, and going to work in the morning, i just got in, seat belt on, switched to accessorie, found work id, put drink away, then put it in E released handbrake.. i totally forgot to turn the car to ready. entirely my fault. if i started it to Ready mode, i would have realised it was still plugged in, as it wouldn't go into ready mode..

also has nothing to do with the new issue of not charging and the Battery error and yellow ! light . as the forgetting to unplug happened a few months ago
PHEV, i-Miev, Youtube @SydEV, Twitter @Sydney_ev Insta @Sydney_ev
nuggetgalore
Groupie

Post by nuggetgalore »

Aha, that explains the mishap.
"put drink away, then put it in E released handbrake......"
That is one of the very few things I can think of is not foolproof.Not being "ready" should not allow the gear stick to get out of park. Interlock feature that does not allow system shut down if the gear stick is not in park should be also the other way round.
Nevertheless, the story made me double check all the scenarios where I could make a mistake with the EVSE plugged in.Peace of mind worth it, thanks.
zzcoopej
Groupie

Post by zzcoopej »

I heard from an iMiEV owner in USA who did the same thing and damaged the charge lead due to his home charging location being on a slope. I wonder if you could put a "speedbump" on the driveway to stop the car rolling by mistake, or is it too steep?
2010 iMiEV
2015 PHEV Aspire
www.EvPositive.com
antiscab

Post by antiscab »

My dad did the roll down the driveway while plugged in trick too. In his case the evse still had power.
Matt
2023 BYD Atto 3 - 21k km
2017 Renault zoe - 147'000km
2012 Leaf - 101'000km - soon to be trialing a booster battery
2007 Vectrix - 197'000km (retired)
2007 Vectrix - 50k km
nuggetgalore
Groupie

Post by nuggetgalore »

antiscab wrote: Mon, 07 May 2018, 09:36 My dad did the roll down the driveway while plugged in trick too. In his case the evse still had power.
That is why I think it is a design fault ( omission) to not have an interlock between the "ready condition" and the gear stick (and hand brake?). I recognize that it is mechanically more involved ,but a simple solenoid operated pin would do the job. But then, how far can you take foolproofing , 100% is never going to be enough for every situation.