Plugshare - outlet types

Discussion about EV/Battery charging infrastructure, Electric highways etc.
Chuq
Groupie

Plugshare - outlet types

Post by Chuq »

Does the naming of the various plug types on Plugshare annoy anyone else?

"Wall outlet (3112)" - can refer to either a 10A or 15A outlet. The "3112" won't mean anything to most people.

"Caravan mains socket" is a outlet not used any any caravan park in Australia (to my knowledge).

"Blue Commando" - looks like a NZ caravan standard, so understandable it would be in the "Oceania" category.

There are also a few sites in Australia that have been tagged with "Wall outlet (120V)" which is a North American wall outlet.

I'm just adding a few and notice that many have been used incorrectly - does anyone else routinely clean these up?
jonescg

Plugshare - outlet types

Post by jonescg »

I don't think they can be changed. Perhaps make a point of adding more details in the information section where you can clarify things like 10 amp, 15 amp etc.
AEVA National President, WA branch director.
Chuq
Groupie

Plugshare - outlet types

Post by Chuq »

Well, I figure they *can* be changed, by Plugshare themselves, but would they want to...

Not much that can be done, but wanted to know if it would be useful or annoying to:
- Change all "Caravan mains socket" entries in Australia to "Wall outlet (3112)"
- Change all "Wall outlet (120V)" entries in Australia to "Wall outlet (3112)"

Even better would be if they could have a larger range of icons. At the moment a 10A outlet gets the same icon as a 22kW Tesla destination charger. I know it is a slippery slope to having a dozen different icons but surely there must be a way around it!
4Springs
Site Admin

Plugshare - outlet types

Post by 4Springs »

Yes Charles, it annoys me too!
I think the Caravan socket has been used to refer to a 15A outlet. But really you always have to describe it in the comments.
No icons on the web version, just seems to be the mobile app.

I had a nice (email) chat with Plugshare customer support a while back. I reported a bug where you couldn't edit your site if you were in Oceania. This was possibly the reason there were some 120V outlets on sites. I also suggested that they remove the automatic formatting from phone numbers, since the (presumably US) formatting that they use is not useful.
The bug got fixed, I reckon if they had enough requests along the same lines they might change things.
Chuq
Groupie

Plugshare - outlet types

Post by Chuq »

Well, the 120V site has gone!

When I say "more icons" I mean the blue/green/orange icons.
a 10A (2.4kW) socket and a 22kW destination charger are both green, and a 50kW Chademo and a 130kW Tesla Supercharger are both orange. But they are significantly different, in both deliverable energy rate and whether or not they are accessible to certain vehicles!   
4Springs
Site Admin

Plugshare - outlet types

Post by 4Springs »

Chuq wrote: When I say "more icons" I mean the blue/green/orange icons.
a 10A (2.4kW) socket and a 22kW destination charger are both green, and a 50kW Chademo and a 130kW Tesla Supercharger are both orange. But they are significantly different, in both deliverable energy rate and whether or not they are accessible to certain vehicles!   

Ah, those icons. You can filter of course, click "more options" and choose just J1772 for instance.
Chuq
Groupie

Plugshare - outlet types

Post by Chuq »

4Springs wrote:
Ah, those icons. You can filter of course, click "more options" and choose just J1772 for instance.

Well, true.. but then it comes back to the same issue about people knowing what "3112" means and so on!
RecargoJames
Noobie

Plugshare - outlet types

Post by RecargoJames »

Chuq wrote:

Hi Chuq!

At which AU locations are you finding the US wall outlets? I'm a PlugShare admin and can make the corrections for you. You can refer to a location with the PlugShare ID#:

e.g.: http://www.plugshare.com/?location=57171

The PlugShare ID# in the above example is 57171.

Thanks for the help!

James
Chuq
Groupie

Plugshare - outlet types

Post by Chuq »

RecargoJames wrote:
Chuq wrote:

Hi Chuq!

At which AU locations are you finding the US wall outlets? I'm a PlugShare admin and can make the corrections for you. You can refer to a location with the PlugShare ID#:

e.g.: http://www.plugshare.com/?location=57171

The PlugShare ID# in the above example is 57171.

Thanks for the help!

James

Thanks James!
The 120V outlets seem to have gone now - I found one in NZ (https://api.plugshare.com/view/location/80705) and while I suspect it is an error, I don't know enough about NZ to be sure that it is wrong :)

Caravan Mains Socket I'm *fairly* sure shouldn't exist in Australia. Caravan parks use 15A power outlets.

10A and 15A power outlets are two different varieties of "Wall Outlet (3112)". It would be nice if they were differentiated - but what to do with the several hundred "Wall Outlet (3112)" locations already listed?

RecargoJames
Noobie

Plugshare - outlet types

Post by RecargoJames »

Chuq wrote:
The 120V outlets seem to have gone now - I found one in NZ (https://api.plugshare.com/view/location/80705) and while I suspect it is an error, I don't know enough about NZ to be sure that it is wrong :)

Thanks Chuq!

Yes, the one in NZ appeared to be in error - the user added the US wall plug, then "corrected" the problem by adding the Aussie wall plug. I removed the US wall plug.

If you see any other rogue US plugs out there, or any plug which looks more like a mistaken entry, please let me know.

James
rhills
Site Admin

Plugshare - outlet types

Post by rhills »

Hi James and welcome to our forum,
Chuq wrote:...10A and 15A power outlets are two different varieties of "Wall Outlet (3112)". It would be nice if they were differentiated...
Thought I'd draw your attention to this part of Chuq's post thinking perhaps you'd missed it. It's an omission in PlugShare that makes it much less useful in Australia than it could be.

Most manufactured plugin-rechargeable vehicles in Australia use one of these two plugs (10A and 15A) so it would be really useful to us to be able to differentiate between them.
Chuq wrote:... but what to do with the several hundred "Wall Outlet (3112)" locations already listed?
If these plug types were made available in PlugShare, I'm sure there are enough of us who are interested enough to go back and update the info for existing chargers in the database. I'd certainly be happy to do the ones I know about and I'm sure g4qber would be onto it as well.

TIA
Rob Hills
AEVA Webmaster
  • 2022 Tesla M3 MIC LR
  • 2014 Mitsubishi Outlander Aspire PHEV
    Petrol Usage to last refill: Jul 2014 - Jul 2022
    Total Petrol: 889.8L
    ODO: 88417
    Av Consumption: 1.01 L/100km
Chuq
Groupie

Plugshare - outlet types

Post by Chuq »

Slightly unrelated - what's going on here? https://api.plugshare.com/view/location/101159

It has a Tesla destination charger, but the box isn't ticked on the edit page. (If I tick it, the main box then tells me it has two Destination chargers!)

Last edited by Chuq on Sat, 17 Dec 2016, 08:48, edited 1 time in total.
Gabz

Plugshare - outlet types

Post by Gabz »

I would say plugshare has sourced that information form tesla directly (location of destination chargers) so they've assumed that the information is true and correct and can't be removed or edited.
Corporate Member Recharging NSW Pty Ltd. http://rechargingnsw.com.au/
Chuq
Groupie

Plugshare - outlet types

Post by Chuq »

Gabz wrote: I would say plugshare has sourced that information form tesla directly (location of destination chargers) so they've assumed that the information is true and correct and can't be removed or edited.

That seems most likely - I'm aware that happens with Superchargers (Plugshare import details directly from Tesla) although didn't know about Destination chargers. Whatever algorithm they use must be smart enough to recognise similar names (I think I entered "Triabunna Takeaway and Video" and the official name on the Tesla map is "Triabunna Cafe").
RecargoJames
Noobie

Plugshare - outlet types

Post by RecargoJames »

I just wanted to let you know that I filed a PlugShare bug report requesting that "Wall Outlet (3112)" be differentiated as 10A or 15A. Please be patient, as these things take time.
rhills
Site Admin

Plugshare - outlet types

Post by rhills »

RecargoJames wrote: I just wanted to let you know that I filed a PlugShare bug report requesting that "Wall Outlet (3112)" be differentiated as 10A or 15A. Please be patient, as these things take time.
Many thanks for that, we'll look forward to the change when it happens.
Rob Hills
AEVA Webmaster
  • 2022 Tesla M3 MIC LR
  • 2014 Mitsubishi Outlander Aspire PHEV
    Petrol Usage to last refill: Jul 2014 - Jul 2022
    Total Petrol: 889.8L
    ODO: 88417
    Av Consumption: 1.01 L/100km
RecargoJames
Noobie

Plugshare - outlet types

Post by RecargoJames »

Just added to PlugShare:
Heatherbrae Supercharger
2285 Pacific Hwy, Heatherbrae NSW 2324, Australia
Chuq
Groupie

Re: Plugshare - outlet types

Post by Chuq »

RecargoJames wrote: Tue, 20 Dec 2016, 11:43 I just wanted to let you know that I filed a PlugShare bug report requesting that "Wall Outlet (3112)" be differentiated as 10A or 15A. Please be patient, as these things take time.
Hi James - any more news on this?
goingbush
Groupie

Post by goingbush »

Is a "Wall outlet 3112 " a 3 pin Australian GPO style socket ?

I have installed a J1772 socket in my EV conversion.
My charge cord is a J1772 with a regular 3 pin 15A plug on the other end to suit the 15A outlet in my shed.

The closest public charge points (within battery range ) to me are listed as Tesla Model S/X ,
I assume theres no 3 pin for me to plug into so is an adaptor available or what do I need to make an adaptor ??
mikedufty

Post by mikedufty »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AS/NZS_3112

Yes the 3112 is the standard australian plug, though technically the name applies to a range of australian plugs as above link. I think most of those on plugshare are standard 15A sockets.
4Springs
Site Admin

Post by 4Springs »

goingbush wrote: Wed, 21 Feb 2018, 07:40 Is a "Wall outlet 3112 " a 3 pin Australian GPO style socket ?

I have installed a J1772 socket in my EV conversion.
My charge cord is a J1772 with a regular 3 pin 15A plug on the other end to suit the 15A outlet in my shed.

The closest public charge points (within battery range ) to me are listed as Tesla Model S/X ,
I assume theres no 3 pin for me to plug into so is an adaptor available or what do I need to make an adaptor ??
Yes, 3112 refers to the Australian Standard, which covers regular three-pin 10A and 15A outlets.

There are Tesla adapters around, Gelco for example sell some on their page here: http://www.gelcoservices.com.au/gelco_e ... ehicle.htm
I think the GS1018 or GS1026 would be suitable for you. I'd contact Gelco to check first though.
To make one is not as easy as just wiring up the sockets. You need to fool the Tesla charger into thinking that a Tesla is attached. If you are interested in doing that then I'm sure people here could tell you how.
Chuq
Groupie

Post by Chuq »

goingbush wrote: Wed, 21 Feb 2018, 07:40 The closest public charge points (within battery range ) to me are listed as Tesla Model S/X ,
Hi goingbush,

Yes, you'll need an adaptor, as 4Springs says they aren't easy to make yourself! See http://www.gelcoservices.com.au/gelco_e ... ehicle.htm

Mine cost me $300 but I'm aware the cable has gone through a few revisions since then (some people reported that it didn't work at some locations). The one I bought was GS1025 but their site now says to use GS1018 for some vehicles (including mine - a Leaf) that cable is now listed as $500!

I'm not sure how your conversion is configured but GS1026 looks like a good option for broad compatibility. Downside is that you'll need to bring your EVSE with you.

The guys at Gelco can probably answer any more technical questions - I'd advise giving them an email!
goingbush
Groupie

Post by goingbush »

Thanks guys, making enquiry to Gelco now !!!
sT3ve
Groupie

Post by sT3ve »

Hi folks,
In my dreams I'm taking delivery of my first EV, a BYD T3 van, in Sydney and driving it to Perth for fun (max 6.6kW AC!). Assuming Nexport can handle the admin and agrees to my idea, assuming no lockdown/quarantine requirements, assuming it all comes together, I'm looking at what charging accessories to buy and wondering:

[hilite]What's up with these plugs with the round pin? [/hilite] Apparently they don't exist in Oz and yet here they are. I just did a blank trip plan Sydney to Perth with just "Caravan Plug" selected and there's a shirtload of them right across the country. Is there any guarantee that they're all 15A flat earth :) pin sockets? Am I safe not getting a round to flat pin converter?
Screenshot from 2021-10-06 16-01-59.png
Screenshot from 2021-10-06 16-01-59.png (211.88 KiB) Viewed 1580 times
AusKona
Groupie

Post by AusKona »

Yes, in Aus we need Wall Plug(10A) and Caravan Plug(15A) I don't know what they have in NZ, I think it's the same but not sure.