2010 Imiev charging question

Mitsubishi EV Interest Group
Ultralights
Groupie

Post by Ultralights »

I have recently bought a 2010 Imiev,   unfortunately at the time i was unaware of the charging hardware limitations with the 2010 model, that being it cannot be charged from public chargepoints, or my own podpoint charger, i have been advised by members here that the 2010 model cannot communicate with the new "smart" chargers, and hence, can only be charged from its original cable, and at a max rate of 10 amps. (info from the owners manual)

i have ordered a replacement modified charging receptacle and cabling to allow charging from public and chargers that require a signal from the vehicle,

my question is, with this modification, will the car still be limited to just 10 amps from public chargers that are capable of delivering more power to the vehicle? or will it communicate as my Outlander will ,and allow charging at a higher rate, say 16 Amps ?

Thanks.
Simon

Post by Simon »

My Dad's 2010 iMiEV that had been modified to charge on public EVSE's charged at 13A from memory.
g4qber

Post by g4qber »

Correct.

Imiev charges at 13amp
Leaf charges at up to 17 amp

Unmodified 2010 Imiev should charge at 13 amp direct from 15 amp power socket. Perhaps get a 15 amp power meter to verify.
Last edited by g4qber on Fri, 12 May 2017, 19:32, edited 1 time in total.
2021 Model 3 PW MIC RWD FSD - Mon 28 Jun ‘21 -
k kms 17x
2009 Tango - http://www.evalbum.com/211
Aptera
Cybertruck
On order

Past EVs
2011 i-MiEV
2012 Volt
2014 i3 REx
2014 Model S
2020 FRERWD
Greg partridge
Groupie

Post by Greg partridge »

Rob, I have done a few of these Gelco wiring harness swaps, if you need any help let me know and I will give you a hand

Greg
Ultralights
Groupie

Post by Ultralights »

we will let you know when it arrives, also, might want to pick your brain in regards to mobile Chademo charging
reecho

Post by reecho »

Ultralights wrote: I have recently bought a 2010 Imiev,   unfortunately at the time i was unaware of the charging hardware limitations with the 2010 model, that being it cannot be charged from public chargepoints, or my own podpoint charger, i have been advised by members here that the 2010 model cannot communicate with the new "smart" chargers, and hence, can only be charged from its original cable, and at a max rate of 10 amps. (info from the owners manual)

i have ordered a replacement modified charging receptacle and cabling to allow charging from public and chargers that require a signal from the vehicle,

my question is, with this modification, will the car still be limited to just 10 amps from public chargers that are capable of delivering more power to the vehicle? or will it communicate as my Outlander will ,and allow charging at a higher rate, say 16 Amps ?

Thanks.

The 2010 models cannot communicate PWM charge current control via J1772. Only 2011 onward models will do that. One thing to note is that once a pilot signal pin is added, the car will charge at full rate regardless of the EVSE connected to it. i.e. Connect a 10A EVSE, it will pull full amps...
Ultralights
Groupie

Post by Ultralights »

Completed the mod, now charges fine from Chargpoint J772 chargers, at 3.0Kw average. charges from my home Pod point as well.

I tried it at Eastern creek raceway to see if it will charge from a Tesla destination charger, via the adaptor i used with the Outlander,   sadly it didnt work. the charger at Eastern creek was disconnected while the building is rewired, so i tried the tesla charger at the Atura Hotel, and.... nothing.. so i am assuming that the signal from the modded plug doesnt transfer through the adaptor, or the signal cant be used or interpreted by the tesla destination charger.       

Jeff Owen
Groupie

Post by Jeff Owen »

It could be that you need to add a switch to the signal circuit in your car. I found that my simple adaptor worked at ChargePoint EVSEs but not at King George Square car park in Brisbane. Some EVSEs require the 1.3k resistor to be switched in after plugging in. Adding the switch fixed the problem.

Following the last Brisbane branch meeting, we took my car and an enabled 2010 Imiev to a ChargePoint location and to King George Square car park. Both were OK at the ChargePoint, but the Imiev would not charge at KGS car park. By using the switch, mine was OK.

Another Brisbane 2010 Imiev owner is making his own adapter and is planning to include a timer to automatically switch in the resistor. I suggest you contact the supplier of your replacement charging receptacle and cable and determine if it has a similar function. I suspect it has not.

Even if this does not fix the Tesla charging issue, I believe it would be worth correcting this shortcoming as it is likely that one day you will come across an EVSE that requires it.
g4qber

Post by g4qber »

http://ozleaf.proboards.com/thread/865/ ... tor?page=4

Mitsubishi ph/Evs don't work on tesla destination chargers in general.
LEAFs and i3s do with the chopped type 2 to 1 cable
k kms 17x
Aptera
Cybertruck
On order

Past EVs
2011 i-MiEV
2012 Volt
2014 i3 REx
2014 Model S
2020 FRERWD
reecho

Post by reecho »

The Tesla destination chargers need to be set to Legacy mode for them to work on Mitsubishi cars...
bmscott
Groupie

Post by bmscott »

Ultralights wrote: i was unaware of the charging hardware limitations with the 2010 model, that being it cannot be charged from public chargepoints, or my own podpoint charger, i have been advised by members here that the 2010 model cannot communicate with the new "smart" chargers,

Well why can my 2010 iMiev charge from everything I can plug it into? It'll charge at 30-35 amps at CHAdeMO, 15 amps at the J1772 and 10 amps at home from the wall socket (via Ampfibian adapter).

I thought every 2010 iMiev in Australia was brought in as part of the same car-share scheme - that's how I got mine with less than 9,000kms on it. Even assuming mine has been modified with that extra pin or whatever, your experience seems to be of a car that's even more crippled than one would expect without it.

Or maybe I'm just special.
Ultralights
Groupie

Post by Ultralights »

reecho wrote: The Tesla destination chargers need to be set to Legacy mode for them to work on Mitsubishi cars...

is this easy to do?
Ultralights
Groupie

Post by Ultralights »

bmscott wrote:
Ultralights wrote: i was unaware of the charging hardware limitations with the 2010 model, that being it cannot be charged from public chargepoints, or my own podpoint charger, i have been advised by members here that the 2010 model cannot communicate with the new "smart" chargers,

Well why can my 2010 iMiev charge from everything I can plug it into? It'll charge at 30-35 amps at CHAdeMO, 15 amps at the J1772 and 10 amps at home from the wall socket (via Ampfibian adapter).

I thought every 2010 iMiev in Australia was brought in as part of the same car-share scheme - that's how I got mine with less than 9,000kms on it. Even assuming mine has been modified with that extra pin or whatever, your experience seems to be of a car that's even more crippled than one would expect without it.

to be honest, i have no idea what the difference would be,   all i know is that it wouldnt charge from my podpoint charger when i got home, and it wouldnt charge from the Chargepoint chargers at westfields. i tried it with the standard Outlander EVSE's, and no charge there either..   it charged fine from its own charger cable.   but with anything that needed a "signal", nothing. since the mod its all fine now,   but wont charge from Tesla Destination chargers, (which i want to do, as a close friend of mine has a Tesla and destination charger at his property i visit regularly)

I have not tried the Chademo charging, as the only charger within comfortable range is broken, and im 80km from the Wollongong one.   i might get there, but not back with the big hill climbs.
Last edited by Ultralights on Tue, 30 May 2017, 13:52, edited 1 time in total.
reecho

Post by reecho »

Ultralights wrote:
reecho wrote: The Tesla destination chargers need to be set to Legacy mode for them to work on Mitsubishi cars...

is this easy to do?

Very....
reecho

Post by reecho »

bmscott wrote:

No all 2010 models did not have pilot signal from new. Gelco modified maybe 1/3 of the 125 odd cars at the start. Some will still not be modified..
Ultralights
Groupie

Post by Ultralights »

reecho wrote:
Ultralights wrote:

is this easy to do?

Very....

Can it be done by anyone who wants to use the charger?   how?
reecho

Post by reecho »

Set DIP switch 2 inside downwards...

Ultralights
Groupie

Post by Ultralights »

interesting, but it looks like something that might not be able to be changed on a public access destination charger,   

Also, much to my embarrassment, the 2 destination chargers i used, the one at Eastern creek raceway, and the altuma Hotel not far from there, both were not working (or switched off) when i attempted to use them,

so, ill have to find another one to try out this coming weekend.
Ultralights
Groupie

Post by Ultralights »

Managed to get to a Destination charger that was turned on yesterday,   and try out the adaptor and mods.. sadly, Nothing, charger went straight to a red light and no charging.

oh well.

more research to be done
g4qber

Post by g4qber »

http://www.gelcoservices.com.au/gelco_e ... ehicle.htm

Ordered bob's tesla to j1772 cable will see how we go
Bob says tested on his 2010 modded Imiev and Phev
But not yet on 2011+ Imievs

10% off for Aeva members
Last edited by g4qber on Mon, 12 Jun 2017, 10:25, edited 1 time in total.
k kms 17x
Aptera
Cybertruck
On order

Past EVs
2011 i-MiEV
2012 Volt
2014 i3 REx
2014 Model S
2020 FRERWD
reecho

Post by reecho »

Ultralights wrote: Managed to get to a Destination charger that was turned on yesterday,   and try out the adaptor and mods.. sadly, Nothing, charger went straight to a red light and no charging.

oh well.

more research to be done

Yep..Sounds like it's set to normal mode....
Ultralights
Groupie

Post by Ultralights »

I have the mod installed from Gelco, which replaced the harness and plug assembly in the car,   which allowed me to charge from my podpoint, and from the Outlander EVSE's (which i couldn't do before)
   i was hoping it would also allow me to charge from Tesla destination chargers as well.

I tested the Outlander with my type 2 to J1772 adaptor (bought from the UK, so not the Gelco one) on a privately owned destination charger in my friends garage, the Outlander charged fine. but by the sounds of it, it could have been set to legacy mode. ( i have yet to take the Imiev there to test that yet or ask.)

I will have to try the Outlander with adaptor on a public access destination charger now to see if it still works.(the same one i tested the Imiev on and failed to charge)

One product i did see there was a Mennekes type 2 to 3 Pin AC, 15 amp plug adaptor,   maybe that might be the way,   plug destination charger into that adaptor, then use the imiev standard charging cable..
GS1026     Interconnect cable from TESLA HPWC charger – Type-2 female outlet to AU 3 pin 15A rated socket.

For EV conversions, gopher, electric M/Cycles & wheelchairs
Last edited by Ultralights on Mon, 12 Jun 2017, 16:36, edited 1 time in total.
Jeff Owen
Groupie

Post by Jeff Owen »

Ultralights wrote: One product i did see there was a Mennekes type 2 to 3 Pin AC, 15 amp plug adaptor,   maybe that might be the way,   plug destination charger into that adaptor, then use the imiev standard charging cable..
We tried one of these adaptors today on the two Tesla destination chargers at the Hyperdome shopping centre near Brisbane. It did not work. In the interest of full disclosure, we did not have our EV with us. We plugged a Digitech QP2004 tester into the output of the adaptor to see if it would switch the EVSE on. This should make no difference to the functionality of the adaptor.

Next, we connected a GS1025 Tesla to J1772 cable to our J1772 to 3 pin adaptor. Again, we used the Digitech tester to check for an output. With the switch, described in my post above, set to "on" this arrangement should simulate Ultralights' setup. When we connected this combination to the Tesla EVSE, the green light went straight to red as described by Ultralights above.

We repeated this test with the switch set to "off" and the light stayed green. Switching to "on" resulted in the light going red, and no output.

We kept repeating this test with increasing time delays between plugging in and switching on. At 12 seconds, we were rewarded with 3 green lights and a very satisfying tone from the Digitech indicating it had power. We kept increasing the time delays until we reached one minute and stopped. The tests were repeated for the other EVSE with the same outcome.

While a test such as this at one location is not conclusive, it is certainly very encouraging and i will be making a Tesla to 3 pin adaptor for our car.

offgridQLD

Post by offgridQLD »

Good info Jeff, thanks for that. There sure are more public charging options popping up Image
g4qber

Post by g4qber »

Bob's Cable doesn't work on latest 3phase HPWCs with 2011 imiev
He's gonna check with his engineers Monday
Last edited by g4qber on Sat, 17 Jun 2017, 04:08, edited 1 time in total.
k kms 17x
Aptera
Cybertruck
On order

Past EVs
2011 i-MiEV
2012 Volt
2014 i3 REx
2014 Model S
2020 FRERWD