Gow864. Electric AG-Bike

Post up a thread for your EV. Progress pics, description and assorted alliteration
Gow864
Groupie

Gow864. Electric AG-Bike

Post by Gow864 » Sat, 15 Nov 2008, 05:37

OK, I've made it. My bike is now up and running.

I would like to thank Ian Hooper of ZEVA for his patience and service, also Steven Li of Kelly Controllers. I am sure that I am one of the "toughest" (thickest) customers they've ever had.

Anyhow after much ado my bike is running it is...

Mars electric BLDC (ZEVA)
Kelly KBL48301 (ZEVA)
16 x TSLFP040AH (EV-Power)
EV-Power BMS.

Cant't afford a decent battery monitoring system at the mo, hopefully soon.

I've only gotten about 15k's on it so far, but it is GREAT. I live in a hilly area and need to adjust the gearing, right now it hits 80kmh easily, and i haven't gotten enough of a straight t fully wind it out.

I really can't stay off of it, I've been riding around with head torch on (no DC/DC yet either)

I will post some pictures ASAP, I had a digi camera... problem is I have a four year old too, very incompatible.....

Ian, Steven, Rod. Thanks again.

Gow.

edit: remane post.
Last edited by Gow864 on Sun, 30 Nov 2008, 07:55, edited 1 time in total.
If you are not part of the solution, you are part of the problem.

antiscab

Gow864. Electric AG-Bike

Post by antiscab » Sat, 15 Nov 2008, 11:09

this calls for an evalbumn page, a place you can point people to when u r tired of answering the same questions over and over again :)
welcome to the world of EV ownership

Matt
Matt
2017 Renault zoe - 25'000km
2007 vectrix - 156'000km
1998 prius - needs Batt
1999 Prius - needs batt
2000 prius - has 200 x headway 38120 cells

Taffy
Groupie

Gow864. Electric AG-Bike

Post by Taffy » Sat, 15 Nov 2008, 14:10

Congrats! The cant stop driving it bit i understand very well. Get a headlight for non stop fun!

a4x4kiwi

Gow864. Electric AG-Bike

Post by a4x4kiwi » Sat, 15 Nov 2008, 14:15

Congratulations! We look forward to pictures.
Silicon is just sand with attitude.

Blog: http://malfunction.faed.name

acmotor

Gow864. Electric AG-Bike

Post by acmotor » Sat, 15 Nov 2008, 17:14

Gow864,
Well done !

The electric feeling is very powerful !
iMiEV MY12     105,131km in pure Electric and loving it !

Electrocycle
MSN: dumhed@dumhed.com

Gow864. Electric AG-Bike

Post by Electrocycle » Sat, 15 Nov 2008, 19:14

good stuff!

I've been waiting to see some results of the Kelly controller on the Mars motor. I'm using a Sevcon controller (the Kelly wasn't available until a couple of weeks after I bought mine...) and it's really not very good.

I'm particularly interested in the smoothness on takeoff, and what sort of rpm range you're getting out of the motor.
Also, how got does your motor get?
The Engine Whisperer - fixer of things

Gow864
Groupie

Gow864. Electric AG-Bike

Post by Gow864 » Fri, 28 Nov 2008, 06:23

Electrocycle

The gearing I'm running right now 3.75:1 Absolutely hopeless. Well not really, just quite a slow acceleration, but once it's rolling it pulls smoothly and quite hard. I just got a 60t rear sprocket, so, I'm going to try 5.45:1 and 6:1, from some simulations ("Ebike calculator", Endless-Sphere) I've run it looks like 6:1 will give best range, but not much top end. Top end is not a problem for me, I live in a valley just outside of Bellingen on the Mid North Coast of NSW, 45kmh will be just fine for our dodgy gravel roads.

This bike will not be registered. I'm near the end of a 31km long no-through road and it will primarily be the "farm bike" Now when I get started at 04:30 I can hop on the bike and not piss my neighbours off. Believe me when it was a 32 year old 2-stroke 125 AG-Bike you could hear it 5k's away.

I have got to say what a satisfying feeling it is to ride. It's my first build and I started from a very low knowledge base, I've gotten lots of help along the way (thanks AEVA & ES) and learnt a hell of a lot. I've ridden bikes for years and none of them came close to delivering the joy I get from this one. One new experience from riding this bike, the wallabies, dingoes, bush turkeys, paddy melons & goanas can't hear me coming so on several occasions I've come around a bend to some very surprised critters.... It's quite funny really.

Go electric.... It's AWESOME!

Gow.

Electrocycle
MSN: dumhed@dumhed.com

Gow864. Electric AG-Bike

Post by Electrocycle » Fri, 28 Nov 2008, 06:33

sounds good :)

I'll be interested to see some pics!

btw - what bike is it based on?
The Engine Whisperer - fixer of things

Gow864
Groupie

Gow864. Electric AG-Bike

Post by Gow864 » Thu, 17 Sep 2009, 20:36

OK, a bit of an update and some pictures.

This is what I originally ended up with. It's an ex TC125 AG bike (it had a dual range gearbox). A 2 stroke motor that really seen better days.

A great fun bike, but, unregisterable a farm only bike :(

Really wanting an on-road bike and after some discussion Electrocycle parted with the EPX. Here thay are donor and receipient. Basically the plan is to replace the 36V SLA's in the EPX with my 48V lithium pack. Also the controller, and put the 15amp charger on-board.

OK, so that was the plan, and that is what has happened. I'll post pics of the finished product soon. Now, strictly speaking I don't live in a very road-bike friendly area, I have 7 k's of gravel road before i get to the tar, i then have a VERY hilly 19k of tar to town. The bike does it no problem! My local servo is very helpful and let's me charge for free everytime I go to town. I usually hang around for an hour or so (pub)

Anyways.... just an update.
Gow.

Thalass

Gow864. Electric AG-Bike

Post by Thalass » Fri, 18 Sep 2009, 17:57

Its great that the local servo doesn't mind you charging!

I've heard that the wildlife tend to be surprised at the sudden silent human coming around the bend. Jay Leno drives his 1909(?) EV around to go deer-spotting with his missus. It'd be great for hunting hahaha.
I'll drive an electric vehicle one day.