iMiEV - What to do with a write off

Mitsubishi EV Interest Group
PiMan
Groupie

Post by PiMan »

I was in a crash some weeks ago and I have just received the bad news that the car is a write off.
The insurance company is covering most of the cost, and has recommended a company to take the wreck that is willing to pay me $1700. The thing is, I'm pretty sure the batteries are still worth more than that, and they were not damaged in the crash.

So my question is, do the batteries have resale value greater than $1700, and how would I go about arranging that?

Further info:
Car was a 2010 iMiEV with under 20000km, still getting up to 90-100km range.
TooQik
Groupie

Post by TooQik »

You would need to speak with your insurance company and tell them you want to keep the car. If they have factored the $1700 into their payout figure you will most likely have to pay them the $1700, which would simply mean they would deduct the amount from the payout figure to you.

I would suggest that the car is only really worth something to you IF you have a buyer for it. While the batteries and other salvageable components should have a value higher than $1700, if you don't have someone who is willing to take them off your hands straight away them you're left with a vehicle sitting at your place.

If you decide to keep the car and sell it, unless you're good with tools and have somewhere to store the vehicle out of the way, it would probably be a better idea to sell it as a whole rather then pulling it apart yourself. You also need to factor in costs to get the damaged vehicle to your place, or a place of storage, which could cost you a couple of hundred unless you can borrow a car trailer.

Another important question is: are you going to buy another EV with the payout?
PiMan
Groupie

Post by PiMan »

The $1700 has already been factored _out_ of the payout figure, so that's not an issue.
I suppose part of the question I left unstated is, where would I look for someone willing to pay more?

As for a replacement car, I'm looking for another iMiEV because it is the cheapest electric car I know of.
mikedufty

Post by mikedufty »

Someone overseas took a wrecked one and added the battery to his good one to double the range.
http://myimiev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=3074

I'd say $1700 is a good price for the battery and parts for modifications or a conversion, assuming you want to do that.
PiMan
Groupie

Post by PiMan »

So I can't really expect much more than $1700 if I sell?
MrD
Groupie

Post by MrD »

Hi PiMan - I have just posted a 2012 i-MiEV For Sale - if you are after a replacement. - regards
MrD-85-TSLA
mjcrow
Groupie

Post by mjcrow »

Hi PiMan,

The first question is what type of write-off is it, is it a statutory write-off or a repairable write-off. This will make a difference to the value. Assuming it is a statutory write off, which means it cannot be re-registered, and therefore is a parts only vehicle, the main value will indeed be the battery pack. There were not enough of these cars imported into the country to make them a real value proposition to parts dismantling companies, they end up with a vehicle that there is almost no demand for (commodores and falcons are easy money for them in contrast).

You haven't really given us much information as to how bad the damage is, and a few photos would be useful.

If the only part that is salvageable is the battery pack then the biggest market is probably someone looking to go off-grid with their electricity, and therefore needs a large battery pack. There may also be someone on these forums interested in batteries for a low power ev conversion.

As a ballpark figure, I paid $2000 for my written off Holden volt, and another one sold in WA for $1750, these are both statutory write offs, so parts only, and have a similar size battery pack to the i-miev.

If you can post up some pictures it will give us a better idea of what might be useable from your vehicle.

Mike
T1 Terry

Post by T1 Terry »

PiMan wrote: So I can't really expect much more than $1700 if I sell?

I've sent you a PM, could be an interesting project vehicle donor

T1 Terry
Green but want to learn
jonescg

Post by jonescg »

It's got conversion written all over it Image
AEVA National President, WA branch director.
PiMan
Groupie

Post by PiMan »

Thanks for the responses everyone.
I would have said more if I knew more, but I didn't even know there was more than one type of write off, and I haven't seen my car in three weeks (the day of the crash).

I have only one photo, but this is the damage I know of:
- The rear bumper is completely trashed.
- The rear suspension was damaged enough that they sent off for a replacement.
- Another part (I don't recall what) was damaged, but the damage was only spotted when the suspension was about to be replaced. It was this part that led them to decide it wasn't viable to repair. (It was not the battery.)
- The front of the car is somewhat scratched and the licence plate is bent.

I'll get more photos as soon as practical.
mikedufty

Post by mikedufty »

You should try sending a PM to carnut1100 via the forum. Looks like he hasn't been on the forum for 6 months, but might respond to a message. He was in a similar situation to you. Kept the written off i-MiEV with plans for a conversion, but ended up selling it to someone else to repair and get back on the road. It was a similar accident to.

Discussion is buried in this thread, which started out as a plan to sell his other i-MiEV

viewtopic.php?p=54019&t=4344&title=2012 ... ale#p54019
Last edited by mikedufty on Sun, 22 May 2016, 12:51, edited 1 time in total.
mikedufty

Post by mikedufty »

Just re-read the thread and see he was asking for $8,000 for it. Don't know if he ended up getting close to that.
carnut1100
Groupie

Post by carnut1100 »

Hi.
Yes we did in the end get 8000 for it and it was sold to someone who was getting it repaired at mate's rates and with a few cost cuts like beating out the dented tailgate skin and skimming with filler rather than a new tailgate, and I gave him a slightly damaged but cheaply repairable bumper for a 2010 which he was fitting instead of buying a new 2012 one etc.

We looked at a few options for using the imiev components for a conversion.
The drive unit is very nice and would go well in most small front wheel drive cars. We were looking very closely at Mercedes A class as a good candidate.

Controlling it using the imiev controller is possible but would require keeping most on the imiev electrical system intact.
Otherwise there are controllers available that would work as am alternative.
I had begun some research into the GEVCU as well as the Eldis UMC.

Yours is probably repairable but not economically viable according to the insurance.
I had a lot of interest with the ad on Gumtree from people looking for conversion parts.

I don't currently have an ev which is why I've been a bit absent here (along with a house move, helping get my wife's business opened and my own moved, work, toddler in the house etc etc etc..) as we sold my 2010 shortly after we moved down here beyond the range of a return trip to town on one charge.
Also i was using the Hilux almost every day for work so was rarely driving the imiev.
I'm still scheming a return to ev ownership but it will probably be a conversion of a work ute. Or a motorbike conversion.
We'll see...
mikedufty

Post by mikedufty »

Sounds well worth putting up the $1700 then. Wouldn't mind having a spare myself if it was in Perth.
offgridQLD

Post by offgridQLD »

Consider it sold if you want to sell it to me for $1700. Pm me and I can call you to work a deal out.

Kurt
Last edited by offgridQLD on Wed, 25 May 2016, 08:04, edited 1 time in total.
PiMan
Groupie

Post by PiMan »

The point of this topic is that I'm pretty sure the car is worth more than that.

I'm not sure how much more, so that's what I was hoping people here might have more of an idea about.
T1 Terry

Post by T1 Terry »

offgridQLD wrote: Consider it sold if you want to sell it to me for $1700. Pm me and I can call you to work a deal out.

Kurt

You are few days late, I put my hand up first Image so it will now depend on price I guess

T1 Terry
Green but want to learn
offgridQLD

Post by offgridQLD »

I have some idea what several- 3 other Imievs have sold for as write off with minor damage.

I Wouldn't be interested in repairing it. Just attracted for spare parts as I all-ready have a imiev. Charger, motor controller, and some of other small things perhaps Air conditioner and heater. Most of the suspension and body is shared with the ICE version.

The battery I most likely have to much lithium than I know what to do with but a spare cell or two is handy.

Work out what you want for it and happy to talk numbers or ideas to keep everyone happy. I respect first in best dressed to so I am easy.

Kurt
Last edited by offgridQLD on Wed, 25 May 2016, 09:16, edited 1 time in total.
T1 Terry

Post by T1 Terry »

As I said in the last post, it will be price dependant for me, quite understand you wanting to get more than the $1700 and I'm willing to pay more, but there is a limit. The $8,000 figure is well outside my budget so if this is the sort of money you were hoping for then I'm out, but please let me know, via PM if you wish, just what $$ you were after. As I said in the PM, I have a beaver tail truck with ramps I can drive over to pick it up from where ever it is so no need to factor in transport costs from the holding yard to your place and then to a depot to send it off to the new owner.

T1 Terry
Green but want to learn
TooQik
Groupie

Post by TooQik »

PiMan wrote: The point of this topic is that I'm pretty sure the car is worth more than that.

I'm not sure how much more, so that's what I was hoping people here might have more of an idea about.
Right now the best starting point for you would be to determine what type of write-off the vehicle has been registered as - check with your insurance company. From there you will be in a better position to discuss any offers with potential buyers, as they will have their own perspective on the value of the vehicle to them.

As it stands right now from the comments in this thread, you have a confirmed offer of $1700 via your insurance company, plus two parties willing to negotiate on price over $1700. The ball is squarely in your court to obtain information and start discussions to find a figure that you are happy with.

Good luck.