Groupie

i-MiEV Range *no discussion*

Post by ZIPPIE11CAR »

The 4wd Hiace version?

:)
acmotor

Post by acmotor »

I don't know if this technique has been posted before, but I found myself describing it to another imiev owner.

When you find yourself driving a trip that may test your imiev range, from whatever state of charge... (oops, forgot to charge for example)

Enter destination on NAV and select dashboard display to be RR. Then drive to keep RR greater than the updating km to destination on the NAV continuously reviewing the numbers.
Don't use heater or aircond, keep power meter in green, drive in D. Unless extra regen is required downhill then use Eco/ B. Depending on your right foot behaviour, using hi regen all the time can be wasteful.
If it requires you to slow down or drive economically then do so.

At least with this technique there are no surprises as the continuous re-assessment of RR does a reasonable job.

If it is obvious part way into the trip that you are loosing ground then you can pull out before the point of no return or plan on a recharge point.

converted RedSuzi, the first industrial AC induction motor conversion
on to iMiEV MY12 did 114,463km
now Tesla Model 3, 4/2021 MIC pearl white
offgridQLD

Post by offgridQLD »

I had two situations this past few weeks where I have stretched out the limits of the imiev.

One was coming home from the hinterland to Brisbane. I got part way home and had a feeling the power room doors were wide open. Logging into the security camera I confirmed it was so. Not wanting to leave it all exposed to the weather all week. I made a Uturn and returned to the house. I didn't want to hang around for a top Up I just jumped back in the car and made the 105km trip home Ac on all the way. made it back with 3 bars instead of the usual 4 bars.

Last weekend we tried going home a totally different way. It took us through the back of the hills and valleys. Though it had lots of 100kph country roads. Nice views and shady tree lined twisty sections great change to the norm freeway drive. Though the distance was more like 115km. Air conditioning on 80% of the way home. Made it home with 3 bars on the gauge.

I typically tell people that the Imiev has a 100km safe range. Though trips of 110 - 120km even with aircon and just driving with the traffic are not out of the question.

Kurt
Last edited by offgridQLD on Thu, 27 Nov 2014, 16:59, edited 1 time in total.
Conklinc
Noobie

Post by Conklinc »

Kur, t,

Earlier this week Muh Luvly and I did a trip to Costco in the i. I didn't log the kms, forgot to reset the A trip. As you've said earlier, after driving an EV for awhile you don't look at what distance you have left, -you look at your SOC gauge.

Anywaym the first time we did this trip, when we got back home the SOC gauge was blinking red, no turtle mode, but blinking. This time we had 4 bars left! Not sure why. I know we did sort of get lost, took the wrong turn off the freeway that isn't free, but at most that was maybe 3-4 kms out of the way.

For anyone interested that would be from the border between Langwarrin and Cranbourne along Cranbourne-Frankston Rd, to the Ringwood Costco, using Peninsula and Eastlink. I don't think it is more than about 93-95 kms.

Regards,

Curt
Towards sustainability
offgridQLD

Post by offgridQLD »

That sounds reasonable its within the 100km range. Wind can play the biggest part. Fortunately unless there is a big afternoon storm on wind isn't a big issue in the areas of SEQ I drive.

When you hit the flashing energy gauge (two bar flashing) your at 22% SOC (from memory) A nice warning sign to give you a few % SOC to get a charge into the car and stick to the 20% SOC minimum rule.

Speaking of Costco. Our local Costco is just beyond the safe return trip range of our imiev if heading out from the hinterland 145km return trip. I have made the trip several times from Brisbane with ease on the one charge about 75km return trip.

Part of my reasoning for the small range extender project was to be able to make the trips that are just outside of the return trip range like that 145km Costco trip.

I did notice last time I was at Costco that they have a GPO on the outside of the building near the tyre fitting section. Though its a little to exposed to get away with a top up unnoticed. Do Costco offer charging stations in the US? It would be interesting if they do perhaps they would be a little more open to the idea in there Au stores.

I was thinking perhaps other international warehouse style chains like Ikea might have charges in there over seas stores and the idea of some in Au might be another option. Both Costco and Ikea are a good 30km + out of the CBD in Brisbane so a charging station would be somewhat useful.

Kurt
Last edited by offgridQLD on Fri, 28 Nov 2014, 04:41, edited 1 time in total.
Conklinc
Noobie

Post by Conklinc »

I was thinking about buying a dashboard carpet cover for my daughter's i in the States for Christmas. May still do that. I thought maybe I'd then use it for a pattern to make one for ours here in Oz, just flip the pattern over for RH drive. Right?   Image

Ha! The Yanqui i ain't like no other, as we all know, and that includes the dashboard. Completely different.    

No one makes a dashboard carpet cover for the traditional i.   Image I hate the way the sun is reflected into the wind screen on sunny days.

Any ideas?

Regards,

Curt
Towards sustainability
mikedufty

Post by mikedufty »

I think motor trimmers are able to make them to suit any car. Probably cost more than mass produced ones.
acmotor

Post by acmotor »

Check on the Reno and Citroen i's via eBay perhaps for dash mats ?
Conklinc
Noobie

Post by Conklinc »

Apparently the U.S. spec i has two models, with different dash board configurations. I'm checking to see which one my daughter has, I assume its the base model. Here is what I'm finding:

http://www.carid.com/2014-mitsubishi-i- ... sh-covers/
Towards sustainability
ZIPPIE11CAR
Groupie

Post by ZIPPIE11CAR »

Have you thought of getting one through Japan?

The yen to the Aussie dollar is good.

You could try Fabcar in WA also. They import the petrol I's

Last edited by ZIPPIE11CAR on Sat, 06 Dec 2014, 09:44, edited 1 time in total.
reecho

Post by reecho »

I think Fabcar have one "i" car left.......at about the same price as a 2010 I-Miev.....

hmm....
acmotor

Post by acmotor »

reecho wrote: I think Fabcar have one "i" car left.......at about the same price as a 2010 I-Miev.....

hmm....

Hey, that would make a great donor vehicle for a EV conversion...... Oh, wait someone has already done it Image
ZIPPIE11CAR
Groupie

Post by ZIPPIE11CAR »

But they forgot the dash mat during conversion...
mikedufty

Post by mikedufty »

Took our 2010 on a range testing trip for the first time yesterday. Down to safety bay and back to Bull Creek. I thought it had finished charging before going but not so sure as it was down to 15 bars backing out the drive, after some mucking around in the garage with the air con going. Guessometer was showing 72 with the air con going, which was a worry, so put it in E and experimented with turning the air con off for a while, sat on around 90 on the freeway to Baldivis.
Got home with 92km on the trip meter, 9km remaining range, one flashing bar, so 100km total. After recharging the next morning the guessometer showed 113, which is more than usual. Annoying that I'm not 100% sure it was fully charged at the start of the trip. Need to do trip again next week to pick up an upgrade for the ICE part of our 2-car hybrid, a Delica D:5.
g4qber

Post by g4qber »

Winter 80 km gom
2011 Imiev
Cell 17 low
No heater nor ac
2021 Model 3 PW MIC RWD FSD - Mon 28 Jun ‘21 -
k kms 17x
2009 Tango - http://www.evalbum.com/211
Aptera
Cybertruck
On order

Past EVs
2011 i-MiEV
2012 Volt
2014 i3 REx
2014 Model S
2020 FRERWD
offgridQLD

Post by offgridQLD »

Today QLD....winter 27C 105km to hinterland with 20km RR 22% SOC . 2012 Imiev

Kurt
Last edited by offgridQLD on Tue, 01 Dec 2015, 12:23, edited 1 time in total.
ZIPPIE11CAR
Groupie

Post by ZIPPIE11CAR »

Mainly low speed around town with a few 90km freeway runs.

Short burst with the seat heater initially when I get in.

Getting about 110km range at the moment
g4qber

Post by g4qber »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fsLMloz ... e=youtu.be

Bjorn nyland says that Imiev n leaf have 50% range in Norway winter
2021 Model 3 PW MIC RWD FSD - Mon 28 Jun ‘21 -
k kms 17x
2009 Tango - http://www.evalbum.com/211
Aptera
Cybertruck
On order

Past EVs
2011 i-MiEV
2012 Volt
2014 i3 REx
2014 Model S
2020 FRERWD
Greg partridge
Groupie

Post by Greg partridge »

Except he calculates those reductions on 160kms range which no one has achieved. He needs to use a baseline of 110kms as a starting point.
offgridQLD

Post by offgridQLD »

Extream cold sure reduces the usable capacity of the battery. Then the heater (kettle) a must in sub zero temps is 5kw (5kw is 50% of the power needed to travel at 100kph I the imiev. I don't know about 50% range reduction but it could be close in extreme situations.

I notice some small reduction in range in QLD mild winter without the heater just cold battery.

Kurt
Comet
Noobie

Post by Comet »

Hi

I do 60km to and from work each day and just drive, get home with at least 4 bars.
That is from Tamborine to Meadowbrook and back.

If I go up the Mountain and back, I get 135km on my calculator the next day, with battery at half full.
Living at the bottom of the mountain helps, as I have room to charge up in B mode.

Haeley
I-miev it in MY10 with extras!
offgridQLD

Post by offgridQLD »

Today I did 138km driving distance. Mixed driving. Starting with 100% SOC down to 8% SOC.

I had about 120km distance traveled at 20% SOC mark. About the same as when I first got the car 3 years ago.

RRM showed 138km befor heading off with 100%SOC

Actual Km traveled on one charge 138km. I could have pushed it more but called that max range.

Kurt
Last edited by offgridQLD on Wed, 02 Dec 2015, 04:51, edited 1 time in total.
Greg partridge
Groupie

Post by Greg partridge »

Kurt, I think Mitsubishi must have installed premium batteries in your I MiEV as I can't get more than 95km now days (25,000kms)
Greg
offgridQLD

Post by offgridQLD »

How many whr/km are you consuming. Perhaps its your driving as I have 25,000km on my Imiev as well. Funny thing is the car is reporting the batterys are at 38.6ah.

I got 91whr/km over that 138km just going with the flow of traffic.

I headed from the west side of Brisbane into the city 10km. Then headed down the freeway for about 35km and turned back to repeat the 35km back to Brisbane on the freeway. Then from Brisbane back to the west side of Brisbane 10km. I then headed up over the hills through the national park to the North west about 15km and back again 15km. I then did another 18km in and around the hills and valleys in my area.

Kurt
Last edited by offgridQLD on Wed, 02 Dec 2015, 08:24, edited 1 time in total.
Johny

Post by Johny »

I can't remember Kurt but are you still running standard tyres?