Outlander PHEV-should I get one?

Mitsubishi EV Interest Group
acmotor

Post by acmotor » Sat, 11 Apr 2015, 18:57

These are often saviours...

I have done numerous tek screw hole repairs over the years and they last the life of the tyre.
Yes, it is a lot better than using the bottle of goo and ruining the tyre.
You do need to have the time and practical intent to investigate to find the hole in tyre then have practiced the push in, pull away application of the cord.

Can be bought for as little as $5
Use once only ! the glue will dry out once open though you can still use the cords without glue, they may not seal well but still work.

BTW, if you get roadside assist to jack the EV up, make certain they know what they are doing. The big flat bit is the battery pack !
iMiEV MY12     110,230km in pure Electric and loving it !

FairyFloss
Noobie

Post by FairyFloss » Sat, 11 Apr 2015, 21:33

g4qber wrote: What is the brand of the free 10 amp charger?
Is the 15 amp charger really a 15 amp charger?
Or a 10 amp charger with a 15 amp plug on the end of it?
Pics of possible thx

It's a Yazaki brand.
Model No. 9482A142
Voltage. Un 240VAC 50Hz
Current: In 8a {note other charger has 10A}
Residual Current Limit : I^n: 20mA
Single phase
Maximium ambient: 45dC
IP degree: IP44

Both plugs are almost exactly the same except one plug has a slightly different connection - the 15amp one has a longer middle pin. and one says Current 10A instead.

I don't really know what all this means.

Sydney, Australia
Outlander PHEV Aspire 2015
Mazda 6 hatch 2005 -2015

zzcoopej
Groupie

Post by zzcoopej » Sun, 12 Apr 2015, 12:46

acmotor wrote: These are often saviours...

Can be bought for as little as $5
Use once only ! the glue will dry out

Yes that's a great idea and now on my shopping list after the hassle of the flat tyre. I remember people talking about those kits when I took a 100 Series LC + Kedron van around Oz 10yrs ago.
Mitsubishi Roadside (RACQ) took me and the tyre to Bob Jane and $35 and 2hrs later I took the tram back and rolled the tyre back to the car.
There is room under the rear to hang a space saver spare if they weren't so lazy with the exhaust routing. I also noticed when jacking up the car the 2 orange cables from the battery are quite exposed to a stick or something catching them.
Still a fantastic EV SUV at the discounted price.
2010 iMiEV
2015 PHEV Aspire
Battery App EvBatMon for PHEV & iMiEV iOS(iPhone,iPad)& Android
www.EvPositive.com

ZIPPIE11CAR
Groupie

Post by ZIPPIE11CAR » Sun, 12 Apr 2015, 16:15

Is it worth starting a new thread about the Outlander? Image

It sounds like it's gone beyond "should I get one" ;)

offgridQLD

Post by offgridQLD » Sun, 12 Apr 2015, 16:16

When you think about it 25 years without a flat and just $35 to fix it and 2hrs of your life that's not bad.

You will forget about the experience in a week and you can go another 25 years.

I have only been driving for 21 years and in that time I have only had a a couple of slow leaks. Usualy you notice one tyre is looking low. On inspection its' usually a screw, nail of other sharp object that has found it way into the tyre. The trick is dont pull it out if you don't have something on you to plug it with. Go get some air In it and it will get you home no problem.

I always carry a pump and a cord - corkscrew set in each car. That way there is never a situation other than a compleate blowout (very rare on light passenger cars with up to scratch modern tyres) that you can't deal with on the spot and be on the road again in 15 mins.

It's true the cords will last the life of the tire but I usually have it poped off the rim at a later stage and have a proper vulcanised mushroom patch installed along with the wheel reballanced.

Kurt
Last edited by offgridQLD on Sun, 12 Apr 2015, 06:18, edited 1 time in total.

acmotor

Post by acmotor » Mon, 13 Apr 2015, 07:46

Fair comment about balance with repaired tyres ... that prompted me to weigh a cord.
2.1g , though probably less when the tails are trimmed off.
That is less than half the smallest 5g ? weight used by dynamic ballancers.
iMiEV MY12     110,230km in pure Electric and loving it !

Adverse Effects

Post by Adverse Effects » Mon, 13 Apr 2015, 08:52

acmotor wrote: That is less than half the smallest 5g ? weight used by dynamic ballancers.

but it is also farther out form the axil there for increasing its influence

offgridQLD

Post by offgridQLD » Mon, 13 Apr 2015, 13:07

In was suggesting to have the wheel balanced after a mushroom patch was installed. It's heavyer than a ckrd. But not much perhaps double.

Most people would have the mushroom patch installed at a tire shop as the inside of the tire needs to come off the rim. So balancing will be standard procedure after woods anyhow.If needed or not.

Just thinking about it the last time I got a nail in my tire was like the 2nd day I got my 4wd (murfys kaw hey) in 2010. Wheel came off and became the spare with a cord in it ...it's still the spare 5 years later and holding pressure Image

Kurt

zzcoopej
Groupie

Post by zzcoopej » Thu, 21 May 2015, 20:34

FairyFloss wrote:
I'm not sure I can get the cashback, I'll check it out, my contract states it excludes any other deals or offers.

I hope you applied for the $1k rebate FairyFloss? I got my cheque in the mail last week, wahoo! $43k for a brand new PHEV Aspire. Loving it!
2010 iMiEV
2015 PHEV Aspire
www.EvPositive.com

Gabz

Post by Gabz » Mon, 08 Jun 2015, 02:10

we had the outlander at the energy storage expo the guy from MMAL has given me some 1 year lease option, which seems very good $$ wise. (still need to know cost of end of lease options)

but it's very tempting the aspire is only a $60 a month more....already have a 5 year old lancer and a 3 year old i-miev don't really need a new car...but i've said that exact line 3 times today..

Corporate Member Recharging NSW Pty Ltd. http://rechargingnsw.com.au/

zzcoopej
Groupie

Post by zzcoopej » Mon, 08 Jun 2015, 13:46

Gabz wrote: outlander ... Aspire ....don't really need a new car

Go Aspire, once you've done an overnight test drive and activated ACC (Adaptive cruise) you'll never go back to a normal car. It works so unbelievably well with electric+regen. The phone App is also only on Aspire however I only use it to check on the battery SOC. Its a pity the app doesn't link into trip info in the MMCS. Cabin preheat might appeal to you if you leave for work the same time each day?
Also consider a 2nd hand one with 20Kkm for about $35k, most novated lease companies will take on cars a few years old as well as new.
Well I'm super happy with my PHEV, apart from the dodgy MMCS calcs and mode-resets which are the 2 most common grumbles with all owners.
My wife hardly drives the PHEV, however she needed to drive a 250km round trip the other day. She came home gushing with unsolicited praise, just loved her first drive in the PHEV on the freeway. She usually loves the car I just sold (takes a while to warm to the new one). I said "wait till you try driving with ACC!"

I've calculated that with about 75% EV km, savings vs our old Honda CRV are about $11K per 100K km (9c/kWh & $1.50/l).
Last edited by zzcoopej on Mon, 08 Jun 2015, 03:51, edited 1 time in total.
2010 iMiEV
2015 PHEV Aspire
www.EvPositive.com

bladecar

Post by bladecar » Mon, 08 Jun 2015, 21:00

Hi ZZ....,

I note you are very happy with the Aspire so I presume you have no connection with Mitsubishi or its employees : )

That aside, I'm interested as to the terrain in your area. Does your residential and usual travels area have flat terrain, the occasion hill, reasonably hilly or quite hilly terrain?

I have a Prius and until they have a plug-in version with at least the range of the Aspire, I consider them very good modern cars but not particularly green cars, in particular considering how they have refined them but not really advanced them from a green point of view.

I consider that Toyota has used the 'green' theme with the Prius and rested on its laurels. It should get off its arse and put in real batteries (current technology). Yes, there is reliability but they are behaving like an employee who has been there too long.

As I've said, Mitsubishi will show if they are the same with the Aspire when we see if they have made moves in the right direction for greater range and greater energy efficiency with their new model. If they haven't, then I'm backing the Europeans for technology. Hybrid technology is here to stay and so hydrocarbon-fuel-free travelling should be forever improved on.

Unfortunately, the Europeans know how to extract the dollar with their maintenance models. No matter, hybrid technology and battery technology is out of the box and there is no putting it back in. There is no supercar now that isn't a hybrid, only the peak of former technology still exists. It's all downhill from here for them.

V8 "supercars". Ha, Memories, are so beautiful and yet....

zzcoopej
Groupie

Post by zzcoopej » Mon, 08 Jun 2015, 21:28

bladecar wrote: I presume you have no connection with Mitsubishi or its employees : )

No association, and I've only owned Mitsu's for <12 months.
bladecar wrote:
That aside, I'm interested as to the terrain in your area. Does your residential and usual travels area have flat terrain, the occasion hill, reasonably hilly or quite hilly terrain?
The very local area is coastal and reasonably flat, however there are some steep hills further afield. Nothing like the blue mtns however!

bladecar wrote:
I consider that Toyota has used the 'green' theme with the Prius and rested on its laurels.
The Hybrid-synergy drive is a marvel, however its very bound to ICE+EV vs EV only. I agree different manufacturers back different tech eg Hydrogen fuel cells.
bladecar wrote: As I've said, Mitsubishi will show if they are the same with the Aspire when we see if they have made moves in the right direction for greater range and greater energy efficiency with their new model.
From what I've read, new model doesn't offer much more, especially when you consider current model is going for $15k under RRP.

I think the range of about 45-50km is a great compromise for a heavy SUV. Especially if you can charge at both ends of the trip. Apart from the space issue with a bigger battery, I'm not sure the $10k price increase would be recovered nearly as quickly as the payback on the current model's 50km range as so many trips are <50km. I guess we happen to very neatly fit into the range limitations of both our EV's.

Last edited by zzcoopej on Mon, 08 Jun 2015, 12:25, edited 1 time in total.
2010 iMiEV
2015 PHEV Aspire
www.EvPositive.com

Gabz

Post by Gabz » Mon, 08 Jun 2015, 22:13

next PHEV to come out will be the ASX the 'city' SUV.
Corporate Member Recharging NSW Pty Ltd. http://rechargingnsw.com.au/

zzcoopej
Groupie

Post by zzcoopej » Mon, 08 Jun 2015, 22:22

Gabz wrote: next PHEV to come out will be the ASX the 'city' SUV.

I just mean the upgraded look etc -

2016 PHEV
2010 iMiEV
2015 PHEV Aspire
www.EvPositive.com

ZIPPIE11CAR
Groupie

Post by ZIPPIE11CAR » Thu, 23 Jul 2015, 03:33

Just took the Outlander for a wrap.

Not bad overall, but why no Fast Charger outlet!

Fail Mitsubishi! Hopefully the facelift model gets the fast charger outlet this year...

bladecar

Post by bladecar » Thu, 23 Jul 2015, 05:05

Hi Zippie :)

Yes, it really is the small things that can help to make a sale. But I haven't changed! I want a car manufacturer to not only put out truly green machines (better than before at least) but also to commit to real, timely, improvements to that line of vehicle.

The Prius took the limelight as a green car (how long ago?).

And now it's      slightly better (in real terms), than it was (how long ago?).

Taxis like them, but Prius needs to get the boot as a symbol.
Batteries are the thing. There is a great leap forward, and Toyota aren't stepping up. Hydrogen, isn't it??   Hydrogen produced by what?-Solar panels?   Nothing to say there.   You all understand that situation.

Vehicles like the Outlander PHEV can become a force when the manufacturer tells future customers where the vehicle is headed, and it then heads there. At least, that's the best way to get me in.

ZIPPIE11CAR
Groupie

Post by ZIPPIE11CAR » Thu, 23 Jul 2015, 05:38

Yes/no

Other markets come with the fast charger outlet on the Outlander standard.

We should have the same standard.

Australia is always the bottom of the pile in the world car market.

The fast charger outlet would be ideal now with the charging highway.

mikedufty

Post by mikedufty » Thu, 23 Jul 2015, 07:37

It has a petrol fast charge.
How often would you really use a fast charger on one when you have the option of carrying on with Petrol until you have a chance to slow charge?
Would be nice to have fast charging available, but I'm not sure I'd want to pay extra for it.

The current electric highway would still require the petrol engine to make it between charging stations.

ZIPPIE11CAR
Groupie

Post by ZIPPIE11CAR » Thu, 23 Jul 2015, 08:06

Your missing the point...

It comes with standard with fast charger elsewhere... Should do here too...

If it had this feature,Over half your trip to Margret river would be electric. Not 50km.

A.major difference

3rd world Australia...

zzcoopej
Groupie

Post by zzcoopej » Thu, 23 Jul 2015, 13:59

ZIPPIE11CAR wrote: It comes with standard with fast charger elsewhere...

If you read MyPHEV a few UK owners discuss not bothering to stop to charge en-route. Why? Because they find the chargepoint is often either broken or in use. Charging en-route sounds good in theory, however in practice its a different thing.
ZIPPIE11CAR wrote: 3rd world Australia...

Its a bit chicken/egg here in Australia, but I have a PHEV and I wouldn't bother using fast chargers to only get 50km further down the road. Tesla are a different story.

Charge station coverage (Europe)   
AUSTRIA    1,212
ENGLAND    1,298
FRANCE    424
GERMANY    1,429
NETHERLANDS    1,638
PORTUGAL    401
SPAIN          433
SWITZERLAND    302

I've only charged the PHEV once en-route and that was at the Macadamia place near Byron bay. I did it for novelty value "just because I could". However with our iMiEV and PHEV we've gone from spending $300/mth on petrol to spending $35/mth on electricity and $5/mth on petrol. These 2 cars suit our usage perfectly, and I don't need fast chargers to achieve it.
2010 iMiEV
2015 PHEV Aspire
www.EvPositive.com

offgridQLD

Post by offgridQLD » Thu, 23 Jul 2015, 14:17

"with our iMiEV and PHEV we've gone from spending $300/mth on petrol to spending $35/mth on electricity and $5/mth on petrol. These 2 cars suit our usage perfectly, and I don't need fast chargers to achieve it."

Interesting comparison.

How many KM combined each week where you driving in your two previous ICE cars to consume $75 a week? (around 57lt at 1.30lt)

I'm amusing around $0.25 pr KWH your using about 140kwh month( 35kwh pr week).

zzcoopej
Groupie

Post by zzcoopej » Thu, 23 Jul 2015, 15:36

offgridQLD wrote: How many KM combined each week where you driving in your two previous ICE cars

My stats are from the 10 week school term 2 so this is what happens about 40/52 weeks a year. We averaged 182 km/week in the PHEV and 341 in the iMiEV. Prior to switching to 2xEV we were doing about 25Kkm in a CRV and about 4Kkm in a Matiz or about 550 km/wk. Our total usage since switching to 2xEV hasn't changed, however we try to do as many trips as possible in the smaller car now. Note the ICE km include a few holiday drives to QLD, hence why I choose school term when things are more predictable (the $300/mth in fuel was school term only)
offgridQLD wrote: I'm amusing around $0.25 pr KWH your using about 140kwh month( 35kwh pr week).
I charge @ 9c/kWh as I'm on TOU and 97% of our car charging is done overnight via a timer (built into the PHEV, Jaycar for the iMiEV). While I don't meter the charging, I calculate it based on weekly odometer readings and the following (feel free to comment if you think 1.1 is not accurate as I know it is an estimate only) -

iMiEV     PHEV
Wh/km               121     190
Charger ineff.     1.1     1.1
$/kWh               0.09     0.09
Cost per km     $0.012     $0.0188

2010 iMiEV
2015 PHEV Aspire
www.EvPositive.com

ZIPPIE11CAR
Groupie

Post by ZIPPIE11CAR » Thu, 23 Jul 2015, 17:13

I'd rather have the fast charger option than not. Why would you not???

Especially if you just have 1 car, not 2.

Broken fast chargers are a maintenance issue. Totally different topic.

Nothing to do with an equivalent car being lower optioned in Australia

ZIPPIE11CAR
Groupie

Post by ZIPPIE11CAR » Thu, 23 Jul 2015, 17:15

I'd rather have the fast charger option than not. Why would you not???

Especially if you just have 1 car, not 2.

Broken fast chargers are a maintenance issue. Totally different topic.

Nothing to do with an equivalent car being lower optioned in Australia

Hopefully with the new importing laws this won't be an issue anymore. Order direct from place of origin with full specs.