For Sale/Wanted notices: Who should see them?

Admin Requests, General Enquiries and Forum Issues
rhills
Site Admin

Post by rhills »

Hi All,

These forums include a "For Sale/Wanted" section which is currently only visible to registered members of this forum (note, members of the FORUM, not just AEVA members).

It has been suggested to me that it should be opened up to be visible to "everyone", ie include casual browsers of the forums who aren't logged in, registered members.

NOTE: this issue relates to who can read messages in the For Sale/Wanted forum, not who can post to that forum (which we can make the subject of a different poll/topic if people want).

To my mind the main advantage of allowing casual browsers to see what's in the "For Sale/Wanted" forum is that it increases the reach of your advertisement. The main disadvantage is that unless you are registered/logged in, you can't easily contact the seller/wanter unless they post contact details with the Ad.

We usually discourage anyone from posting contact details because that increases their risk of spam/scam targeting.

What do you think?
Rob Hills
AEVA Webmaster
  • 2022 Tesla M3 MIC LR
  • 2014 Mitsubishi Outlander Aspire PHEV
    Petrol Usage to last refill: Jul 2014 - Jul 2022
    Total Petrol: 889.8L
    ODO: 88417
    Av Consumption: 1.01 L/100km
dgh853
Groupie

Post by dgh853 »

I agree it makes sense to have the for sale/wanted notices visible to non-members as well.

Adding a mobile number or "separated email address" would allow non-members to get in touch.
TooQik
Groupie

Post by TooQik »

I've voted for having anyone being able to view the for sale section.

If scamming/spamming is a concern, would having a clickable button to reveal contact details be beneficial, ie the same way gumtree currently hides contact details?
rhills
Site Admin

Post by rhills »

OK, so far we have 7 votes in favour of opening the For Sale/Wanted forum up to everyone and 4 votes against.

Either the vast majority couldn't care less or they've not seen the poll.

I'll leave it up for another 48 hours and then go with the majority decision.
Rob Hills
AEVA Webmaster
  • 2022 Tesla M3 MIC LR
mikedufty

Post by mikedufty »

And one of the votes against was me accidentally getting the wrong button.
whimpurinter

Post by whimpurinter »

Hi,

Just some observations if I may:

I'm in favour of increasing the range of member's advertisements since it might expose more people to greener things and it's advantageous to those members.

I'm a little cautious about who the member right really be. I am convinced that the occasional member is here to have a presence in an industry that they might not necessarily agree with. It could be a small move in the direction of having people be members in order to advertise though I have confidence in this organisation to be in control currently :)
alexeiw123
Groupie

Post by alexeiw123 »

I agree; open up the viewing to public.
When I was searching for my EV I actually didn't use the forum for sale notices, as I thought it was the same as the AEVA membership.
I later got an EV (which coincidentally was advertised here) realising only afterwards that the section was available for free. I think there's a lot of missed sales opportunities for sellers because of this.
rhills
Site Admin

Post by rhills »

mikedufty wrote: And one of the votes against was me accidentally getting the wrong button.

OK Mike, I'll note that when it comes to the final count, though the "Ayes" certainly look to be romping it in at present!
Rob Hills
AEVA Webmaster
  • 2022 Tesla M3 MIC LR
rhills
Site Admin

Post by rhills »

bladecar wrote:I'm a little cautious about who the member right really be. I am convinced that the occasional member is here to have a presence in an industry that they might not necessarily agree with. It could be a small move in the direction of having people be members in order to advertise though I have confidence in this organisation to be in control currently :)
I put quite a bit of effort into excluding spammers, but of course we can't exclude people motivated by an anti-EV agenda, and I'd argue that we shouldn't try. I'm strongly anti-censorship so the only forum post I'd consider deleting would something that was outright abusive, or strongly disrespectful of another member.

As for anti-EV sentiments, I think it's up to us to present overwhelming alternative arguments rather than to silence them with censorship.

Cheers,
Rob Hills
AEVA Webmaster
  • 2022 Tesla M3 MIC LR
whimpurinter

Post by whimpurinter »

Hi,

Sounds good to me.

It's currently more difficult to promote ev's when the transport pollution and servicing pollution costs of standard vehicles is ignored. And it is ignored.

What price pollution? Pollution at any price, but naturally buy the least dollar cost.

In the real world, that is   :)

I think I'll try not to be disrespectful of other members from now on, but simply put forward a useful, alternative view when one seems to be pointing in a less useful direction.
karlg
Groupie

Post by karlg »

I am dead against people putting personal information on publicly searchable web sites. That is just asking for SPAM spiders to come along and Hoover all that information up (pardon the mixed metaphors!).

The rub is: how does an interested party get in touch with the advertiser?

Please note 1) that there should be a howto message telling people how to advertise safely, and 2) if the forum is opened to be visible by non-members, it should have all old for-sale messages removed as the people who created them will have had different expectations about their messages' visibility (maybe this might be better handled by creating a new forum?).
Arpspasm
Noobie

Post by Arpspasm »

Hey all. Just an opinion from an outsider. I am not an electric vehicle owner I joined the forums here as a friend of mine is an enthusiast who has built a couple of electric vehicles and is selling a electric van of some possible historic interest to someone. We noticed Australian electric vehicle association in faded print on the van.
I did sign up with the intent to post a link for my mate but I don't want to make 30 nonsensical posts and clutter up your forums. I have no financial interest in selling the van it just occurred to me that the van may be of more interest to one of you members than the facebook page it is listed on.
p.s. I understand the logic behind the rules
[url=http://s272.photobucket.com/user/hannah ... 2.jpg.html]Image[/URL]
antiscab

Post by antiscab »

can you link to the facebook post?
Matt
2023 BYD Atto 3 - 21k km
2017 Renault zoe - 147'000km
2012 Leaf - 101'000km - soon to be trialing a booster battery
2007 Vectrix - 197'000km (retired)
2007 Vectrix - 50k km
Arpspasm
Noobie

Post by Arpspasm »

Jamie Moyes
19 January at 14:03
Electric van
$3,000
Conondale

Old rare electric vehicle with single and 3 phase charger, no batteries

No point linking as it is a closed facebook group
EV2Go

Post by EV2Go »

Not voting as I don't want anything to do with hidden content, but seriously why is this even a question? Is the demand for EV parts so high that you can afford to exclude a single person from seeing it? I mean the people who you probably want to sell your parts to probably doesn't even know about this forum. Great way to keep the EV circle shrinking.