Street Legal Electric Motorbike

Post up a thread for your EV. Progress pics, description and assorted alliteration
Coulomb Racing
Groupie

Post by Coulomb Racing »

Hi All,

Just wondering if anybody knows, or can point me towards, the Australian Design Rules for a motorcycle and in particular construction of frames/chassis.

Cheers,

James

Please like us on Facebook: Coulomb Motorsport
Bluefang
Groupie

Post by Bluefang »

Construction of the frame would be a ICV. Ie a world of hurt unless you are really doing something custom.

A EV conversion of a motorbike would come under NCOP 14 found http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/roads/ ... _ncop.aspx along with the ICV stuff.

What are you trying to do that would require the contruction of a complete frame/chassis? Could you get away with a redesigned swingarm which would just be a mod rather then a ICV.
www.facebook.com/ausemoto
Building Electric vehicles to be enjoyed and give people a EV grin.
Coulomb Racing
Groupie

Post by Coulomb Racing »

Unfortunately I won't be able to go under the ICV scheme either, well I could be not worthwhile unless it helps with the process of getting a production bike signed off.

Without going into too much detail I am designing a super light, electric motorbike with a range of ~200 km when ridden at highway speeds.

Cheers for the link :)
jonescg

Post by jonescg »

I hope to get Voltron Evo licences early next year, so I will share my experience then. It's a fully custom bike, so the experience is going to be unique.
AEVA National President, WA branch director.
Grinhill
Noobie

Post by Grinhill »

Hi there,
I agree with Bluefang that it would be much more difficult with a custom chassis.

Just in case you haven't exhausted all possibilities with starting with production bikes, here's a few ideas for you.

Postie Bike - cheap & plentiful.
Sachs Madass 125
Skyteam Ace 125
Dirt bike converted to road bike, for example FX-450GP racing bike based on a Yamaha YZ450F.
Honda CBR125
Yamaha YZFR150
There may be some 50cc options also, however they tend to be a lot older.

Maybe these are still a lot heavier than what you're aiming for. The main reason is that to meet the ADRs, they need to use motorcycle-speed rated components, which of course end up heavier than bicycle components. Then the chassis needs to be heavier to cope.

Keep us posted on how this project progresses please!
Bluefang
Groupie

Post by Bluefang »

Ironically if i was doing a build to your specs the bikes i would base it on would be a Suziki hayabusa, a BMW k1200 or similar bikes.

Dont get weighed down with light weight as with the high speeds you are talking about and range then the bigger and actually aerodynamic bikes would be much more advantageous. Moderate weight would be idea, but remember for 200km range you will be lugging atleast a 100kg battery pack so in reallity the bike is going to weight in at the 220+kg of the hayabusa anyway. With the removal of the ICE parts you should be able to keep it around the same weight.

The Suzuki is a heavy bike mainly due to the engine, it is also pretty much the most aerodynamic bike around but one of the side bonuses is you can buy the bike and sell the engine off for 2/3 the cost of the bike :) It will require most likely a BLDC or AC build but it would be very easy to do with 18650 battery cells such as the Samsung INR18650-25R batteries.
Richo

Post by Richo »

Coulomb Racing wrote: Unfortunately I won't be able to go under the ICV scheme either

There are only 2 options:
1. Mod existing vehicle
2. ICV

If you are making your own frame as part of an ICV an engineer will need to sign it off.
I'd be setting aside 3.5-5k for the certs and registering alone.
If you are producing a number of the same frame then the jig can be approved at additional costs.

Sorry gone are the days you can tac a few pipes together shove it around a motor and ride it on the road.
So the short answer is NO but the long answer is YES.
Help prevent road rage - get outta my way!
Richo

Post by Richo »

And would be NCOP8 for the motorbike
http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/roads/ ... 011_v2.pdf
Coulomb Racing
Groupie

Post by Coulomb Racing »

It appears to me that the ICV scheme is only for once off bikes, surely there must be an Australian manufacturer of motorbikes.

The basic philosophy behind my design is building a chassis/frame that is specifically for electric motorbike use and hence doesn't have any superfluous parts. Previous test frames of mine have weighed around 16 kg and are quite aerodynamic (have undergone Computational Fluid Dynamic analysis) so the power required to propel them at 100 kph is quite low.

Richo, are you saying it is possible to use an ICV to prove concept and then use a jig to (mass) produce more bikes?
Bluefang
Groupie

Post by Bluefang »

That would then be low volume vehicle manufacturing. You would need a bunch of licenses and a quality control setup for a maximum production of 100units

You can only produce 3 ICVs in a year. Fyi the frame for a hayabusa is not that heavy and for a engineer to sign off on a home built frame it will probably be over built to satisfy his requirements.
Coulomb Racing
Groupie

Post by Coulomb Racing »

Thanks Bluefang for the feedback.

Just trying to research it all before I fully throw myself into it, I'm sure there is heaps of information online regarding the regulations, just very hard to know where to look first.

Cheers,

James
Adverse Effects

Post by Adverse Effects »

from the time i built a ICV (locost 7) took me 3 years and year after year that kept moving the bar making it harder and harder to do it like the rateings of the frame changed 2 times in the 3 years and the "approved" motors changed 3 times in the 3 years they just really don't want people to do it

someone that may be able to help you is Tripod1 as he builds and sells his own frames / trikes
Richo

Post by Richo »

Bluefang wrote:You can only produce 3 ICVs in a year.

True but if the jig is registered then it would be other people doing the ICV.
Sell the frame + kit.

The ICV would still get a proto rolling.

jateureka
Noobie

Post by jateureka »

any update on this?

E-Bikes: FreeGo; eLation V2; Bafang 8FUN; MAC; Ezee
E-Motorcycles: ZEV 7100 LR; Zero S 2011
E-Mower: Ego push mower & line trimmer
E-Power: 3.3kW solar panels and Xantrex inveter
7circle

Post by 7circle »

I am keen to know more too.
Still have to get motorcycle license.

Rules changing soon in Victoria.
aegidius
Groupie

Post by aegidius »

Last time I checked (Qld dept transport, 2013) NCOP14 did not apply to bikes. Anything you do to a bike makes it an ICV. I gave up at that point because it appeared that getting rego was an open ended process in nbotyh time and cost with no guarantee of success.

I would like to hear from someone who actually knows, that this situation has changed!
Giles.
Bluefang
Groupie

Post by Bluefang »

I know as i am building a bike atm and completed another road legal bike a few years ago.

I am on the Gold Coast if you want to talk about getting a bike built and registered send me a text on 0430 239 514 and I will help you out if i can