Flat Tyre

Mitsubishi EV Interest Group
ZIPPIE11CAR
Groupie

Flat Tyre

Post by ZIPPIE11CAR »

Hi folks,
Don't know if anyone has had a flat tyre yet but I managed to get one the other morning
I live near a lake so the mornings are quite foggy. The Imiev also fogs up badly too I find.
Well, heading down my street trying to clear the fog from the windows I accidently ran over a small storm water drain opening on the edge of the curb.
The car bounced over the brick height drain entry then back onto the road. Everything seemed OK but 10 minutes later at the train station I had a flat.
So, I got to try out the flat tyre gear.
The little cheap compressor is good & worked well. Unfortunately the bead must have broken or the rim is slightly bucked because it was letting out air in one section of the rim.
I ended up using the tyre goo which got me 5km home just. The sticker said stay under 50km which is spot on.
I will take the wheel down to a tyre place for checking next.
My thinking after this episode is to carry a Spacer saver 15" in the back. The trip was only short luckily, but in all honesty the goo is crap & messy.
Last edited by ZIPPIE11CAR on Thu, 29 Aug 2013, 19:00, edited 1 time in total.
acmotor

Flat Tyre

Post by acmotor »

ouch !
Some thoughts....
Clean the inside of the windows with plenty of windex as they may have quite a build up on them.

Check out the demist function of the aircon/heater system... left dial fully clockwise to demist position, right dial to heat and centre dial to auto. This will run heater and aircond together for warm dry air sending it to windcreen. For maxed out system press temperature control button as well. It uses a bit of power but seems quite effective.
Hope I described that ok. Do remember to move the far left button off this demist position when finished with it as it uses extra power.

Was it front or rear wheel ? I assume front though I didn't pick up that detail in your post.
If the bump was enough to damage the bead then get the wheel alignment checked so you don't wear tyres/waste power.

If you carry a spare then you need a jack too and wheel brace.
You also need to find where to jack the vehicle up by.

Jacking the wheel off the ground can help with trying to re-seal a tubeless bead.... but no jack.

The front and rear rims are different width so you may need 2 different spares ? I haven't checked that a one size fits all option would work.

I carry one of these kits as well (I've used it on other vehicles with tyre on vehicle)
tubeless repair cord Though this wouldn't have helped with a de-bead like you had.

It is possible that the tyre is not useable any more, either bead damage or goo. If in doubt replace it.

Maybe put your flat (a de-bead) down to bad luck and just not plan to have that again ? It is probably not worth carrying a spare tyre IMHO
You have free roadside assist yes ? (and a good book !)
converted RedSuzi, the first industrial AC induction motor conversion
on to iMiEV MY12 did 114,463km
now Tesla Model 3, 4/2021 MIC pearl white
g4qber

Flat Tyre

Post by g4qber »

In terms of fog and heating,
Will be interesting to see if any other manufacturer will follow volvos idea of burning ethanol for heat in an ev

I tend to find that the tyre pressures on the imiev drop 2-3psi from the recommended 36psi
Unlike a golf or volt.
Perhaps it is due to their narrowness and size?
Similar to bike tyres. The bigger the tyre, the more air and less noticeable pressure drop.
I try to check tyre pressures weekly.

I had a flat/slow leak in my previous golf, left rear, after a trip to Newman. Blue motion Golf doesn't have space saver tyre, probably to save weight.
But not yet one in the imiev
The imiev did go into a big dip a few months ago near citywest where there was road works. I thought that this would have damaged the tyre.
Last edited by g4qber on Fri, 30 Aug 2013, 04:18, edited 1 time in total.
ZIPPIE11CAR
Groupie

Flat Tyre

Post by ZIPPIE11CAR »

Yeah, just unlucky in the morning rush to get to work.
I still think a spare would be the go.
Don't think much of waiting around.
It might help move the car into a safe position also.
acmotor

Flat Tyre

Post by acmotor »

g4qber wrote: In terms of fog and heating,
Will be interesting to see if any other manufacturer will follow volvos idea of burning ethanol for heat in an ev.....

I hope not !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Remember that volvo idea was for an ICE that couldn't warm up at -20degC. Also, you could pre-heat the cabin by lighting the fire early..... or move to another country.

Actually, the heater in the iMiEV is faster at startup than any vehicle I have even owned. There has to be 5kW of heat within 30 seconds.
offgridQLD

Flat Tyre

Post by offgridQLD »

I just use the AC even on cold and it defogges the front windows within seconds.Once defogged I switched off the AC and just make sure the fan is on low taking air from outside and washing it over the window. If you have it recirculating the air it will just fog up again once the AC is off especially if there are a few people in the car.

In 16 years of driving I have never had a flat tyre. I have had some slow leaks from the odd nail or similar and that's it. Two complete wheels Is a lot of gear and weight to carry around in a tiny car. Just for the once in say 10 year or so event.

Kurt

Last edited by offgridQLD on Fri, 30 Aug 2013, 10:09, edited 1 time in total.
ZIPPIE11CAR
Groupie

Flat Tyre

Post by ZIPPIE11CAR »

Anti-fog/anti- spare :)
Gabz

Flat Tyre

Post by Gabz »

This is something i'm worried about. more likely that i get a flat tyre than run out of charge... (i still can't believe i brought a car without a spare)

would be interested in knowing how hard it will be to get a replacement tyre as they aren't a common size.

and can you ask the tyre guy how much for a spare (even to leave at home is better than waiting all weekend for a tyre shop to open)
acmotor

Flat Tyre

Post by acmotor »

Tyres are available on order from most outlets.
Some discussion here.

Just having a spare doesn't mean you (or the driver at the time) can actually change a tyre. Image
Gabz

Flat Tyre

Post by Gabz »

acmotor wrote: Just having a spare doesn't mean you (or the driver at the time) can actually change a tyre. Image

the i-miev also doesn't have a jack or a tyre iron.
ZIPPIE11CAR
Groupie

Flat Tyre

Post by ZIPPIE11CAR »

Not exactly hard items to put in a car...
ZIPPIE11CAR
Groupie

Flat Tyre

Post by ZIPPIE11CAR »

After my storm water drain bunny hopping, my tyres had small bulges on the side walls on the front & rear passenger side.
Fortunately the rims where ok but I decided to change the tyres.
Had some good luck with Tyre Power in Jandakot for the tyre replacements.
I was looking at over $220 for a replacement Dunlop front tyre so I asked if they had any alternatives.
They did, & could do a set of Maxxis MA-P1 for $106 each with the same specs's as the Dunlop. So I had both fronts tyres replaced for Maxxis & one new one on the rear.

Just a heads up for people changing tyres in the future who are not concerned about low-resistant tyres & want to save some money.

g4qber

Flat Tyre

Post by g4qber »

Excellent
Did you find out how much the rears would cost

I presume you've noticed that front and rear are different sizes

How long are the tyres supposed to last?
I'm up to 31k km now
Last edited by g4qber on Sat, 07 Sep 2013, 19:31, edited 1 time in total.
ZIPPIE11CAR
Groupie

Flat Tyre

Post by ZIPPIE11CAR »

Back tyre was around $126.

Not sure on how long you get out of them?
g4qber

Flat Tyre

Post by g4qber »

Did they have them in stock or was it a special order ?
ZIPPIE11CAR
Groupie

Flat Tyre

Post by ZIPPIE11CAR »

They had the front tyres in stock(amazingly) & it took a day to get the rear one.
g4qber

Flat Tyre

Post by g4qber »

I wonder what other vehicles use these tyres
Smart cars? Perhaps
acmotor

Flat Tyre

Post by acmotor »

did you get them to check the wheel alignment too ?
ZIPPIE11CAR
Groupie

Flat Tyre

Post by ZIPPIE11CAR »

They ran out of time.
They are also not sure if they can align the Imiev either due to the size of wheels being to small for the machine.
Stay tuned...
offgridQLD

Flat Tyre

Post by offgridQLD »

ZIPPIE11CAR wrote: They ran out of time.
They are also not sure if they can align the Imiev either due to the size of wheels being to small for the machine.

That's rubbish! It has nothing to do with the width of the wheel. Your clamping the targets to the outside of the rim. Rim width isn't a issue when reading and adjusting camber,caster and toe.

Unless they are saying the car its self wont fit on the ramps due to its track width. Though I would think so.

Kurt
Last edited by offgridQLD on Sun, 08 Sep 2013, 07:38, edited 1 time in total.
ZIPPIE11CAR
Groupie

Flat Tyre

Post by ZIPPIE11CAR »

They didn't say the couldn't do it, they just had to check first as they where unsure. My tyre change was the last job before 12 on Saturday, so I think they where also keen to get home.
This is also WA :) & getting things done here properly seems harder & harder every year.

Just like the 3 attempts to get my vacuum pump changed.

electricty4cars
Noobie

Flat Tyre

Post by electricty4cars »

Your tire still has a chance. Just bring it to a trusted casa for an alignment. It will cost you way cheaper than getting a brand new one. You could have vulcanized the tire considering that there is only a small hole on it right there and then if you have a good kit that comes with you.
Last edited by electricty4cars on Mon, 09 Sep 2013, 21:45, edited 1 time in total.
Visit www.electricity4cars.com to Download EV Conversion Guide
Adverse Effects

Flat Tyre

Post by Adverse Effects »

it would seem that "electricty4cars" account may be a spam account because most of its posts dont realy make sence in the threads there in
ZIPPIE11CAR
Groupie

Flat Tyre

Post by ZIPPIE11CAR »

I agree. That's why I didn't respond.
Johny

Flat Tyre

Post by Johny »

I think he is running up posts in order to be able to post in the For Sale section.