Group buy for CALB CA cells

How do you store and manage your electricity?
BigMouse

Post by BigMouse »

Hey everyone. I'm preparing to place an order for 240pcs of the CALB CA60FI (or CA66FI, or CA63CFI "low profile") cells. It'll be enough batteries for two conversions which I am involved with. If anyone else is considering these cells, and will be ready to place the order in the next few weeks, let me know. I'm planning on purchasing direct from CALB and importing through Sydney.

If anyone has any experience with CALB, including contacts (I'd be going through Alibaba otherwise), that would be appreciated.

Also, I've read up before on the import process (a thread on here I think), but any recommendations or contacts for import would help as well.

For example: is shipment in wooden crates an issue? If so, how is that normally dealt with?

EDIT: No more group buy. Thanks for your interest.
Last edited by BigMouse on Tue, 19 Mar 2013, 08:50, edited 1 time in total.
celectric
Groupie

Post by celectric »

BigMouse wrote:CALB CA60FI (or CA66FI, or CA63CFI "low profile")

Which of these are you ordering, or are they all the same thing?

I am interested in participating in a group buy to the tune of 104 x CA66FI if the price is right.
KDRYAN
Groupie

Post by KDRYAN »

Shipping in wooden crates is an issue if the timber used doesn't comply with ISPM15. This document can be googled at the customs site.
I had all my cells shipped in cardboard boxes with no issue.

Regards
Kim
BigMouse

Post by BigMouse »

celectric wrote:
BigMouse wrote:CALB CA60FI (or CA66FI, or CA63CFI "low profile")

Which of these are you ordering, or are they all the same thing?

I am interested in participating in a group buy to the tune of 104 x CA66FI if the price is right.

We haven't settled on a specific model. It'll depend on price, availability, and performance. The low profile ones could be good for installing under seats and in fuel-tank areas, and they may have difference performance parameters. I've requested prices for all three models. I expect to hear back from them after the Chinese New Year. If ordering over 350 of the CA66FI cells bring the price down to around the CA60FI price per cell (not unlikley), that'd be great!
jonescg

Post by jonescg »

I think Rod at EV-Power has some good rates on shipping, so you might as well get in touch and bring in the motherload through him. It would surely work out cheaper?
AEVA National President, WA branch director.
BigMouse

Post by BigMouse »

jonescg wrote: I think Rod at EV-Power has some good rates on shipping, so you might as well get in touch and bring in the motherload through him. It would surely work out cheaper?
Once I get some pricing from CALB I'll certainly contact EV-Power for the same quantity, to compare. I imagine anything ordered through them would arrive in Perth though, and so far, 70% of the cells would need to end up in Sydney. Unless EV-Power can arrange drop shipping?
BigMouse

Post by BigMouse »

KDRYAN wrote:I had all my cells shipped in cardboard boxes with no issue.
Did you order direct from China?
Adverse Effects

Post by Adverse Effects »

contact this guy and see if he will give you a contact

evtv store

he sells them in the USA
KDRYAN
Groupie

Post by KDRYAN »

Yes I shipped direct from China. Had no problems, but was surprised with the port / handling costs to clear customs in Australia.

jonescg

Post by jonescg »

KDRYAN wrote: Yes I shipped direct from China. Had no problems, but was surprised with the port / handling costs to clear customs in Australia.

That's why I'm thinking it might be good to go through Rod since he's already got a broker to get the best prices on this stuff. Worth a call to him anyway. I've been burnt buying stuff direct from China before; they charge you a fortune in shipping, and won't let you arrange your own courier. Then there's the customs sting... Image
AEVA National President, WA branch director.
Johny

Post by Johny »

Wooden crates are a right PITA. They have to provide fumigation certificates and the Chinese really don't like doing that. I can't recommend highly enough getting someone who already brings stuff in (Rob) to do it for you. Even if the stuff comes into Perth, road shipping is Australia is cheap in comparison to the heartache and cost you may incur if anything goes wrong and you are handling it.
BigMouse

Post by BigMouse »

Johny wrote:I can't recommend highly enough getting someone who already brings stuff in (Rob) to do it for you. Even if the stuff comes into Perth, road shipping is Australia is cheap in comparison to the heartache and cost you may incur if anything goes wrong and you are handling it.
Fair enough. I'll send him an email this afternoon, after I give people a bit more time to find this thread and reply.
Shirker
Groupie

Post by Shirker »

Just a few months too early for me, I'm afraid... (well, I hope it's only a few!)
Canberra32
Groupie

Post by Canberra32 »

Do not underestimate customs and their hold crap for ages to charge you holding fee, fumigation fee, handling fee,
On ship fee, and BASTARDS fee!

Example is even though I sorted all the info they avoided getting my motor processed and what do you know charged me the holding.
And it use to happen nearly every shipment when I worked for the company bringing CNC machines...

Beware mouse research well before the plunge.

I bought from ev-power because of this reason
BigMouse

Post by BigMouse »

Just an update: After getting pricing from various sources, it was determined that EV Power's price is comparable to self-import, even with our "group" quantities. I'm not longer going to attempt this group buy, and will instead order my pack from EV Power directly.