Uploading images fails sometimes

Admin Requests, General Enquiries and Forum Issues
coulomb
Site Admin

Post by coulomb » Sat, 11 Jul 2009, 23:16

I'm seeing a few posts like this:
Peter C in Canberra wrote:Hi,
I've been trying to upload a picture but it won't go for some reason, even when I cut it down to only 40kb.
This happens to me sometimes too, and I upload a few images. I think it's some sort of timeout. When you try to upload the image, it gives some spiel about you not being "authorised" to upload, or some such. There is the blue AEVA logo in that message:

When this happens to me, I've often taken a bit of time to prepare the post. This makes it doubly frustrating, since a lot of time seems to have been wasteed. But it need not! I've had 100% success so far with the following procedure. I think that some sort of token or cookie has expired; there seems to be a timeout of maybe 2-5 minutes on it. Preparing a long post, or one of your first with an upload, can easily exceed this timeout.

First, don't panic! Use your browser's facility to copy all to the clipboard (^A for Firefox); if you want to be 100% sure, open up a simple application like notepad and paste the text to it so you know it's all saved. If you have several images to upload, any that went through earlier will still be there with the same name, so no need to worry about that.

Second, use your browser's back button (or alt-left key on Firefox) and start your reply again with the Reply button. Use the Reply button even if you started with the Quote or other button originally. When you start the new reply, it also starts the timer again, so now you have much more time to get that upload working. To get back to where you were, use your browser's paste button (^V for Firefox on Windows). If you weren't editing at the end of the post, use the page up or arrow up keys to get back to where you were.

If the timeout thing happens again, you can repeat this procedure any number of times.

That's it!

Admins: if that timeout is for real and it can easily be increased, please double it; it's not just me that has trouble with uploading images. If it's something that is inherent in the software or the browser, well the above isn't too bad once you've done it once or twice.

I hope that this helps someone.
Nissan Leaf 2012 with new battery May 2019.
5650 W solar, 2xPIP-4048MS inverters, 16 kWh battery.
1.4 kW solar with 1.2 kW Latronics inverter and FIT.
160 W solar, 2.5 kWh 24 V battery for lights.
Patching PIP-4048/5048 inverter-chargers.

coulomb
Site Admin

Post by coulomb » Tue, 10 Apr 2012, 21:54

Above, I meant to mention that if you have uploaded a(n) image(s) and the post crashes, the images are still uploaded, but you may need a way to reference them. If you saved the text of your post, you don't need to do anything. But if you lost the post, read on.

The easy way is to find the image(s) in the File Browser (use the Member Control Panel near the top left of any forum page, and choose the File Manager tab, the file names appear in the left hand box, and you can preview the images by clicking on the name. When you have found the one(s) you want, use the "Download File:" link (use "copy link location" in Firefox), and instead of uploading the image again, use the "insert image" icon (same as the Image Upload icon, but without the arrow). When it prompts for the iamge URL, paste in the URL from the File Manager.

You can use this same technique to reference images from an older post.

coulomb
Site Admin

Post by coulomb » Thu, 25 Oct 2012, 13:51

coulomb wrote: First, don't panic! Use your browser's facility to copy all to the clipboard (^A for Firefox);

Arrgh! That should be ^A to copy all, then ^C to copy to the clipboard.

Hopefully, most readers would figure that out.

I'd edit the original, but that doesn't seem to be allowed for this forum, or maybe for posts this old.

coulomb
Site Admin

Post by coulomb » Thu, 25 Oct 2012, 21:00

coulomb wrote: Arrgh! That should be ^A to copy all, then ^C to copy to the clipboard.

Ok, one last try. That should be Ctrl+A to select all, then Ctrl+C to copy to the clipboard.

cts_casemod
Groupie

Post by cts_casemod » Fri, 02 Nov 2012, 02:53

Same here.
Thought it was from my dodgy 3G Internet. I have been uploading them into a external server.

Andrew
Groupie

Post by Andrew » Fri, 02 Nov 2012, 18:56

I've installed a different upload utility on the server, so try uploading again now. Just make sure you've satisfied the upload requirements to avoid getting a error (such as image is over sized).

A lot of forums don't allow uploads onto their own server and recommend using Photobucket or Imageshack etc. If you plan to upload a lot of images, it'd be ideal to use an external server or image hosting site rather than upload everything onto AEVA forums.