AEVA Members: your Forum Login (here) is NOT the same as your new AEVA member login.
You do not need to change your existing Forum login.

On the road data - Goldenmotor 500w

From go-karts and bicycles to electric eskies and kids scooters.
Thomas
Noobie

Post by Thomas »

In case it's useful to anyone wanting to buy:

Goldenmotor 500w 36v 16Ah.
Mtb, slick on the front and knobbly on the back. Front hub motor. MUST get a torque arm - ebikekit.com sells a good one.

Ambient temp: 29 C.
Ride time: 1h10 min, 36km.
Pedalling: Enough to give me the shakes afterwards. I haven't been cycling much recently.
Starting Voltage: 41.7
Finishing Voltage: 39
Terrain: Moderate, one 7% hill of 400m length on the road.
Motor temp after ride: 34
Controller temp after ride: 31
Battery temp after ride: 32
Wind: 15km the wrong way on the return trip.
Battery recharge after this ride with 1.8A charger: 3 hours.

The 7% hill was at the end of the ride and battery V sagged so that the battery indicator dropped from full to half. At the top of the hill it showed full again.
Started AC55 into a Kia Pregio in August 2011.

T1 Terry

Post by T1 Terry »

Was your’s a front or rear hub motor? What effect did the extra weight in the hub have on the handling of the bike? An average speed for 36km of roughly 31km/h is way beyond the average person could maintain pedalling alone, you say you had the shakes when you finished, was that because of the hill climb at the end into a head wind?
The reason for all the questions, my left knee is stuffed as a result of a motor vehicle accident, I love to bike ride but the stress on my knee has stopped me for some time now. The other reason is my wife bought a very "pretty" bike with a 7 speed rear hub. It's very comfortable to ride but needs constant peddling to keep it moving where her other less pretty Raleigh 18sp derailer type will roll for ages with an occasional pedalling spurt.

T1 Terry
Green but want to learn

Thomas
Noobie

Post by Thomas »

Was your’s a front or rear hub motor?

Front

What effect did the extra weight in the hub have on the handling of the bike?

the battery must be on if the motor is spinning at more than a few rpm , otherwise the controller gets toasted. So being a direct drive hub motor, it drags even when you're on a steep downhill. Going into the bends there's less feel of the road through the handlebars. bit like driving a bus.

An average speed for 36km of roughly 31km/h is way beyond the average person could maintain pedalling alone, you say you had the shakes when you finished, was that because of the hill climb at the end into a head wind?

I was pushing hard enough to go about 20kmh for the whole length of the ride. The motor was giving me the extra 15kmh or so. The shakes were because in order to be efficient I had to pedal around 85rpm (I estimate, don't have a fancy bike computer) to keep up with the motor. I'm not fit enough to maintain 85rpm even if there's not a lot of resistance, but just moving my legs around that fast is a workout.

The reason for all the questions, my left knee is stuffed as a result of a motor vehicle accident, I love to bike ride but the stress on my knee has stopped me for some time now. The other reason is my wife bought a very "pretty" bike with a 7 speed rear hub. It's very comfortable to ride but needs constant peddling to keep it moving where her other less pretty Raleigh 18sp derailer type will roll for ages with an occasional pedalling spurt.

My left knee is not great - this is a trial to see if I can still do long distances with a bit of help.
If your "pretty" bike has a 7spd rear hub, your cheap choice is a front wheel conversion.

I just got back from a longer and faster ride in hotter weather and the thermal cutout disturbed my hill climb (again into a headwind!). Battery and motor around 37 degrees, controller not so hot (I was at high rpm so I guess its not working as hard). So if your ambient temp is above 28 and you don't want to pedal on a 35km ride, you'd need at least a 500w motor of this type. I weigh 70kg :)
Started AC55 into a Kia Pregio in August 2011.

T1 Terry

Post by T1 Terry »

Thanks for that, the loss of road feel would be a major issue with the wife I think, might need to look at the small assist motor that drives off a double sprocket and sprag clutch on the back wheel I think. The fact that the hub motor drags all the time is also a concern, it would make getting home with a flat battery a real chore. My weight is rapidly heading toward the 100kg mark so getting back on the bike would be good but lugging this lump of fat butt will require quite a bit of assist I think.

T1 Terry
Green but want to learn

david s
Noobie

Post by david s »

I have a Golden motor (magic pie) mine is fitted to the rear wheel, which I prefer. the motor has provision for fitting a disc brake. It has threaded holes to take the disc. You should have a torque arm IMO and I fitted one. I think the 36V battery is quite sufficient, but I have the 48V Li ion battery which gives me 47Kph on the flat. I think a bit too fast for bicycle safety. I have a disc brake on the front and I need it. Thes kits also come with regen braking and cruise control. I love it and it's way better than my previous set up, a Currie chain drive with 24V Pb acid batts which I wired an extra 6V cell in series to for better top speed.