electric bike kit supplier suggestions

From go-karts and bicycles to electric eskies and kids scooters.
a4x4kiwi

Post by a4x4kiwi »

Hi all,

I am thinking of upgrading by pushie to electric. Can anyone suggest or recommend e-bike kit suppliers?

I like www.goldenmotor.com but would like to look around a bit more before deciding.

Cheers,
Mal.
Silicon is just sand with attitude.

Blog: http://malfunction.faed.name
lithbattboss
Groupie

Post by lithbattboss »

eZee are much better quality than golden motor. They are an internally geared hub motor and have lots more power/torque compared to most other brands and are renowned for their hill climbing power. A friend/business partner and I are building and selling custom e-bike cruisers in Sydney in our spare time (for fun). We buy the motors in bulk and can supply them at a better price than the eZee e-bike distributors.
ImageImage
Where power matters.
XPS Power cells 25C discharge for high performance applicatiopns.
www.lifetechlithium.com
woody

Post by woody »

Hi Mal,

emtb.com.au sell Crystalyte bits, headways cells, and also make/sell Stealth Bomber + Fighter electric off-road bikes.

This is upper end stuff - $500 for the motor, $300 for controllers. Search youtube for Crystalyte people have got bikes up to 80kph using them.

Also I've heard recently that NSW is changing from 200W peak power limit to 250W continuous power limit.
Planned EV: '63 Cortina using AC and LiFePO4 Battery Pack
lithbattboss
Groupie

Post by lithbattboss »

woody wrote: Hi Mal,

emtb.com.au sell Crystalyte bits, headways cells, and also make/sell Stealth Bomber + Fighter electric off-road bikes.

This is upper end stuff - $500 for the motor, $300 for controllers. Search youtube for Crystalyte people have got bikes up to 80kph using them.

Also I've heard recently that NSW is changing from 200W peak power limit to 250W continuous power limit.
Crystalite make some very powerful motors. The world's fastest/most powerful production e-bike uses a 5kW Crystalite motor and I supply the battery cells which power the bike. The bike only uses a 36V pack and has a top speed of 97kph. It would be interesting to see what the top speed would be if they tried a 48V or even 72V battery pack instead! Image
Where power matters.
XPS Power cells 25C discharge for high performance applicatiopns.
www.lifetechlithium.com
EV2Go

Post by EV2Go »

Hey Mal what motor did you wind up choosing?
a4x4kiwi

Post by a4x4kiwi »

I haven't purchased yet, but my plan is to get a kit from Golden Motor.
http://www.goldenmotor.com/
I will get the 26" rear wheel, Magicpie with internal controller, 36v, 12Ah (maybe 16 but almost $100 more) battery pack with carrier and charger. I will get a handlebar throttle and pedelec as well (so I cant go too fast without at least looking like I am pedaling. Cost should be $654 +205 freight according to their web site.

The reason I am choosing them is because the controller is nicely integrated, can be software configured over USB, and have a fantastic support forum where they really listen to customers and improve their product based on feedback. http://www.goldenmotor.com/SMF/

I am stalling at the moment because I need a better bike than my current 18+ yo MTB.

I will probably order during the NY break so it arrives after holidays.

Mal.

a4x4kiwi

Post by a4x4kiwi »

Based on some of the forum feedback I will probably by from the Canadian distributor due to after sales support. http://www.goldenmotor.ca

7circle

Post by 7circle »

If the canadian distributor doesn't send it direct from the manufacturer. You could buy it from China and send some cash to the canadian supllier for tech support.

Just an Ideal idea.
david s
Noobie

Post by david s »

I bought a Golden motor Magic pie from China (pay pal) and I'm very happy with it. I got the 48V battery which gives it plenty of top end speed. 47Kph without wind, pedalling and on the flat. They have cruise control which works on the throttle rather than the road speed like a car cruise control. The 36V battery I think is exactly the same, but wired differently to provide the lower voltage.It is the same weight and size as the 48V pack. I got a 700C wheel. the rim is a quality alloy one that looks like ones that cost $1000 in the bike shops. I got the whole system incl. freight for less than that. Get one you won't be disappointed.
a4x4kiwi

Post by a4x4kiwi »

Thanks for the feedback. I subsequently bought a Magicpie, and really lie it. It bout through the Canadian distributor in case any after sales support was required. There is now an Australian distributor.
http://www.seedlinks.com.au/Products/El ... nKits.aspx

Regards,
Mal.

david s
Noobie

Post by david s »

Great,
What voltage are you putting through it?
Dave
a4x4kiwi

Post by a4x4kiwi »

36v

7circle

Post by 7circle »

Hi All, I am considering a bike pedelling generator. So a Rear Motor Kit That can charge via Regen Mode a 12V Battery.

So you fit a lift kit to get it off the ground and a Flywheel with say water for the weight.

So has anyone tried this with there rear motor.

Cheers
Ken
david s
Noobie

Post by david s »

I have a 48v Magic Pie, Golden Motor kit for my bike and the regen braking is a bit more complex. When applying the brakes the regen kicks in, but only holds for about 1 sec. if applied when speed drops to 30 kphit holds and then releases again at about 10 kph so if you tried to use it as a generator it wouldn't work too well. you may be able to simply reverse the polarity so it would generate all the time, but these things have some fancy electronics and it may simply recognise that it is connected backwards and got to shut off mode.
david s
Noobie

Post by david s »

If you could get hold of an old car generator (not alternator) you can simply run it off the tyre of the bike like the old fashioned bike dynamos.
T1 Terry

Post by T1 Terry »

Hi David,
Is yours a front or rear wheel kit? Do you find the weight of the hub adversely affects the feel/handling?
An in hub kit would be the easiest to install but if it affects the ride feel then maybe the added effort of a motor and belt drive would be a better solution. The wife has a "pretty" bike with 7 speed rear hub gears so it would require an in hub front wheel or belt drive on the left side of the rear wheel.

T1 Terry
Green but want to learn
woody

Post by woody »

Any brushless motor is a generator, you just need to rectify the 3 phase AC to DC.
A Crystalyte x5305 does about 12v at 15kph (26inch wheel).

I did see a study that said that e-bikes had less carbon emissions than human powered bikes due to a few factors:
1. Low efficiency of the human body in converting food to power
2. high carbon emissions in producing and transporting the typical western diet

You would be even worse off as you have an extra conversion step or two - generation (80-90% efficiency at best) and charging (50% for lead acid?)

Also it's bloody hard work making power - 200W for an hour is good going for a cyclist. TDF level cyclists can break 1kW for a few minutes. 22c/kWh is cheap :-)
Planned EV: '63 Cortina using AC and LiFePO4 Battery Pack
david s
Noobie

Post by david s »

The golden motor kit wil accommodate the gear cassette and also has holes on the other side to fit a disc brake. Mine is a rear motor. I don't like too much weight on the front wheel and think the rear hub motor is preferable. In my case the front wheel is a long way forward and only 20" as my bike is a long wheelbase recumbent. I mounted the battery pack well forward to balance the extra weight of the motor being on the rear wheel. Handling is superb.
T1 Terry

Post by T1 Terry »

Thanks David,
The wifes bike is hub gears so no sprocket cassette to adapt to a rear hub motor. If the weight on the front wheel is an issue when riding it looks like I'm back to a belt drive for the left hand side of the rear wheel. Anyone know of a pancake motor type kit for this type of set up?

T1 Terry
Green but want to learn
david s
Noobie

Post by david s »

Most kits (incl. Golden Motor come already spoked into a rim so you just change the whole wheel. You really don't need gears anyway. I usually use the smallest gear on the back all the time and let the motor do the work. My rear wheel is fitted with very heavy duty stainless spokes. You need these as the ordinary spokes will break. I had to replace about three on my previous set up (not a hub motor) that used the original rim and spokes.
david s
Noobie

Post by david s »

"Any brushless motor is a generator, you just need to rectify the 3 phase AC to DC. "
This is why I suggested an old generator which is DC, then you don't need to worry about rectifying it. Also an alternator requires power through it before it can generate power whereas a DC generator does not require this. Old Holden gens are good and easy to recondition.
7circle

Post by 7circle »

I've found a Diamond Mine ... over 30 electric Bike Wheels at a Metal Recycler he has stashed.

The have 3 power pins on one socket and a resolver connector.

Need to check whats inside.

Want to make human powered energy machines Like Rowing Machine, See-Saw Bouncer and Bike pedel Power.

If you know of ideas or Documents on such devices Let
PlanB

Post by PlanB »

Has anybody checked out the electric bike tab at Goldenmotor recently? The 200w CRUZ 2009 has pedal assist & should be legal in Oz but no regen.
The MT-2009 has regen but wouldn't be street legal here & no mention of pedal assist.
Is regen & pedal assist mutually exclusive? If so how does a bike like the MT-2009 work? Do you just ride it till the battery goes flat then pedal home?
david s
Noobie

Post by david s »

I have the Golden motor ,magic pie motor powered with a 48v Li ion battery. I don't think it is street legal so I have placed a 200W label on the battery pack to keep the police happy. I think the 36v pack is better suited, 48 v is dangerously quick (46 km/hr)
I've never run the battery flat. You simply plug in every time you get home. I have a 20km round trip and the battery sometimes says it's on half charge when I get home.
PlanB

Post by PlanB »

So does yours do regen David? And you don't pedal at all?