Had to laugh

Introductions, general chit chat and off-topic banter.
EV2Go

Had to laugh

Post by EV2Go » Wed, 27 Oct 2010, 21:04

Ever find yourself acting in a certain way without even thinking about it?

Mum just got herself a 2500L rain water tank and since I am still on my sabbatical, I offered to lay her a slab and plumb it up for her.

So instead of getting a few planks of wood and putting a few bricks up against it or just put some steaks in the ground to hold the planks in place, no I have to go and get all technical.

I seriously think I am incapable of doing anything the simple way...

Johny

Had to laugh

Post by Johny » Wed, 27 Oct 2010, 21:18

I dunno - it kind of reminds me of your trike. Image
I had the same problem making fancy hats for the kids for various school plays and such. They only had to last the day but instead they are still hanging around the house 10 years later.

EV2Go

Had to laugh

Post by EV2Go » Wed, 27 Oct 2010, 21:33

Lol we're incurable over engineerers. I’m sure Kearon would have finished his Capri faster without me, if I wasn’t trying to improve, build bigger, stream line everything in sight.

T1 Terry

Had to laugh

Post by T1 Terry » Thu, 28 Oct 2010, 17:04

I think we all suffer the over done, I'm sure my bus project would have been finished years ago if I didn't get stuck on doing things like this
I could'nt just have a blank piece to cover the sink in the kitchen cupboards, i had to make drawer that fitted around the already space saving hepvo valve that I'd fitted rather than a space hungry "S" bend.

T1 Terry
Green but want to learn

Johny

Had to laugh

Post by Johny » Thu, 28 Oct 2010, 17:58

Hmm. Most people just pout a door on the whole sink front thing and rely on user inventiveness to place under-sink objects in places that they fit.
Your earlier posts on "I want to do the pipe bending myself" are making a lot more sense now...

T1 Terry

Had to laugh

Post by T1 Terry » Thu, 28 Oct 2010, 18:35

The drawers and kitchen are in a bus conversion, pictureshere so space is everything and weight is always an issue. Not sure about the pipe bending, maybe have confused with another poster. I'm the one that wants to fit an assist/regen to my bus conversion. Still weighing up the benefits against an electrolyser feeding the hydrogen/oxygen direct into the ICE intake on hill climbing but I still need an effective method of battery recharging and brake assist on the down hills so despite the cost and complexity an AC motor assist is looking like the better option.

T1 Terry

Green but want to learn

Johny

Had to laugh

Post by Johny » Thu, 28 Oct 2010, 18:46

Ha - you're right Terry - I didn't even read who was posting and thought it was EV2Go. Sorry.
The drawer makes sense now.

Johny

Had to laugh

Post by Johny » Thu, 28 Oct 2010, 18:56

That Bus is a project and some Terry. Great work.
I see that you are a Sikaflex user. I need something under all the trim clips that I am going to pop-rivet back on - would Sikaflex be the go?

Richo

Had to laugh

Post by Richo » Thu, 28 Oct 2010, 20:50

The irony of it all is water is cheap yet we don't have enough of it and there is plenty in the sea.
So the short answer is NO but the long answer is YES.
Help prevent road rage - get outta my way!

T1 Terry

Had to laugh

Post by T1 Terry » Thu, 28 Oct 2010, 21:04

Hi Johny,
If you have a way of holding the trim clips in place while the Sikaflex dries you won't need the rivets. the whole outer skin aluminium skin is held on with Sikaflex 11FC, the rivets were to hold it in place. I a couple of places on the roof rear the rivets actually sheared off possibly because water got in and swelled the steel ball in the pop bit, even thoug the rivets were gone the sheet still didn't come off or separate. all the intenal walls are held in place with Sikaflex 11FC so the body can flex around them, amazing stuff if the surfaces are primed properly.

T1 Terry
Green but want to learn

EV2Go

Had to laugh

Post by EV2Go » Thu, 28 Oct 2010, 21:09

Nice work on the draw Terry.

Mum and I laid the slab this morning (tried to stop her doing any of the heavy lifting, not an easy feat, she thinks she's Farlap).

I had to rearrange all of the bricks that she had put in before I got up. I tried to explain to her just because the bubble was in the middle of the level, it didn't mean that all the bricks were level.

So I did it as quick as I could (probably still took an hour) before she got all ancy and wanted to start mixing.

Sprayed weed killer and laid down some weed matting, then began to mix up some loads of cement in the wheel barrow.

I figure it probably took a shade over the hour to mix about 5 loads. Took me nearly as long to level it off. I had to wait for the water that rose to dry off, before I could get a finish on it. About 5 levels later it was flat enough and dry enough to do the final finish.

I made it as perfect as I could (without a proper wooden float) and then boomed it both ways to get a uniform finish.

Need to wait until it is properly dry now and then I can take the tiny loose stones off.

ImageImage

Thalass

Had to laugh

Post by Thalass » Thu, 28 Oct 2010, 21:41

That's a great concreting job, that. You should see my brickworking around my house. Holy wobbly, batman!

Also: I have to say that drawer in the bus is great!
I'll drive an electric vehicle one day.

EV2Go

Had to laugh

Post by EV2Go » Sun, 14 Nov 2010, 06:37

Finished off painting the down pipes today, so it's pretty much done. Mum wants to put some small loose stones down in the corners of the slab (each to their own), there is about a 10mm recess which will stop them from falling off the slab. I used a ultra thin cutting blade to put slits in between the bricks to make sure no water sits on the slab.

Edit:Updated photos. Have to admit I think the small stones look better than I expected.
ImageImage
Last edited by EV2Go on Wed, 17 Nov 2010, 15:55, edited 1 time in total.