Stimulus

Open for any sort of non-technical discussion regarding EVs
Goombi

Stimulus

Post by Goombi »

Sorry friends -but this deserved publication

It's a slow day in a dusty little Australian town. The sun is beating down and the streets are deserted. Times are tough, everybody is in debt, and everybody lives on credit.   

On this particular day a rich tourist from down south is driving through town , stops at the local motel and lays a $100 bill on the desk saying he wants to inspect the rooms upstairs in order to pick one to spend the   night.

He gives him keys to a few rooms and as soon as the man walks upstairs, the owner grabs the $100 bill and runs next door to pay his debt to the butcher.

The butcher takes the $100 and runs down the street to repay his debt to the pig farmer.

The pig farmer takes the $100 and heads off to pay his bill at the supplier of feed and fuel.

The guy at the Farmer's Co-op takes the $100 and runs to pay his drinks bill at the local pub.

The publican slips the money along to the local prostitute drinking at the bar , who has also been facing hard times and has had to offer him "services" on credit.

The hooker rushes to the motel and pays off her room bill to the   motel owner with the $100 .

The motel proprietor then places the $100 back on the counter so the rich traveler will not suspect anything.

At that moment the traveller comes down the stairs, picks up the $100 bill, states that the rooms are not satisfactory, pockets the money, and leaves town.

No one produced anything. No one earned anything.

However, the whole town is now out of debt and looking to the future with a lot more optimism.

And that, ladies and gentlemen, is how the Australian Government's stimulus package works.

Image Image Image
acmotor

Stimulus

Post by acmotor »

ROFL Image

Seriously, is that what wiki said when you looked up canberra ????

I checked and it says 345,000 people. Your story only has 6. Must be talking about somewhere else ?

Sorry canbrites, humour at your expense Image
converted RedSuzi, the first industrial AC induction motor conversion
on to iMiEV MY12 did 114,463km
now Tesla Model 3, 4/2021 MIC pearl white
antiscab

Stimulus

Post by antiscab »

hehe, yup, thats pretty much how it works.

except in Japan.
In Japan if the government hands money to the people, they just lend it back to the government lol

this is a scarier (and more accurate Image) explanation of how debt works
the last one gets into conspiracy theory territory, but the gist of it is in the first 4.

basically, the RBA target interest rate is the rate at which total debt has to increase just to keep the amount of money in the economy the *same*.

Matt
Matt
2023 BYD Atto 3 - 21k km
2017 Renault zoe - 147'000km
2012 Leaf - 101'000km - soon to be trialing a booster battery
2007 Vectrix - 197'000km (retired)
2007 Vectrix - 50k km
Goombi

Stimulus

Post by Goombi »

Dear Lord, I know that I haven't
talked to you that much recently,
but this past year you have taken away
my favourite actor, Patrick Swayze, my favourite actress, Farah
Fawcett, and my favourite musician, Michael Jackson.
I just wanted to let you know that my favourite Prime Minister is Kevin
Rudd..... Amen
Simon

Stimulus

Post by Simon »

antiscab wrote:
Matt

Yeah also there is a follow up to that documentary called Money as Debt II Promises Unleashed
Here it is on Youtube Money as Debt II Promises Unleashed
Squiggles

Stimulus

Post by Squiggles »

This is scary stuff and all true. I studied economics as part of my Masters in Commerce and the bank lending ratio is something like 30 to 1 not the 9 to 1 that the video suggests.
Goombi's original post is also exactly one of the theories that is taught in economics, the theory is that a company that starts in a community and sells $100 worth of goods magically injects $500 into the economy of that community. What the text books ignore is that each time the original $100 is spent 25% ends up with the government. They also manage to ignore the fact that some of the people will actually save some of their money rather than spend it and still others will pay off some debt.

Basically studying economics taught me that very much of the economic theory is erroneous, and each theory with an error spawns a new theory not to replace the erroneous one but to manipulate the result to cover the error. The text books have a wonderful statement that all the theories start with "if all else stays the same"!

So what is the scary part you ask? All economists are taught from the same set of books, unlike practically any other profession economists are taught not to question the theories. No one introduces new thought.
(in fact questioning a theory leads to stressed relations with the professor....trust me I know!!)
Worst of all these economists are advising our governments on how to manage money and the politicians are dumb enough to just blindly accept what they are told.
What hope have we got???
marcopolo
Groupie

Stimulus

Post by marcopolo »

Sorry, about the miss-posting!
Squiggles wrote: Basically studying economics taught me that very much of the economic theory is erroneous, and each theory with an error spawns a new theory not to replace the erroneous one but to manipulate the result to cover the error. The text books have a wonderful statement that all the theories start with "if all else stays the same"!

So what is the scary part you ask? All economists are taught from the same set of books, unlike practically any other profession economists are taught not to question the theories. No one introduces new thought.
(in fact questioning a theory leads to stressed relations with the professor....trust me I know!!) Worst of all these economists are advising our governments on how to manage money and the politicians are dumb enough to just blindly accept what they are told.
What hope have we got???

Thank you for that interesting insight. I think that your analogy serves to highlight the failure of education policies over the past 40 years!

The increasing decline of teaching history, (any version of history), has led to a lack of perspective in students.

The teaching of leftist economic philosophies, without also teaching a knowledge of the historical context, has lead to disillusionment. The woolly thinking academics who dominated education in Australia for the last 40 years, with heroic theories of social and moral engineering though taxation and economic government legislation, have been proved lacking in validity!

This leaves a void, sort of like believing in religion, but without the God.

It's small wonder that Joe Public is cynical and disillusioned by those in public life and the institutions they control. Having destroyed, or sneered out of existence the old Gods, only to discover there are no new gods!

The media is no longer of assistance, having long ago, sold whatever credentials it once possessed, for the drugs of sensationalism and shallow hypocrisy.

The ideological extravagance of the 60's has now become the grim reality of the new century. Joe Public, denied something to believe in, wants someone to blame, someone to pay, someone to relieve general confusion, by making an idividual or marginal group suffer!

Generations, educated to idealistically believe, are now cynical! Clinging to the next sensational conspiracy theory, or saviour, with an impossibly shallow agenda. The believers-without-belief have become a mob,baying for the next fix of sensational public figure to be disgraced! Howling for blood and only sate when someone can be blamed, and forced to make increasingly hypocritical and bizarre apologies.Temporarily, this satisfies the desire for santimonus self-righteousness, but inevitably needs more victims,

Like all addictions this will increase until we create a real conflict, with the usual horrific consequences!

The bright hope for civilisation is technology! Once considered de-humanising, it alone offers real progress and achievement.

This is really sad.

Well, that's my little rant!!!

Goombi

Stimulus

Post by Goombi »

That is very close , what is happening today in politics the Media-dirt and the parliaments member abuses and lies.and downgrading Joe Public and destroying his ambitions.. About and our young generation?? say no more-- just look at them and listen to them..
as the Russians say Inteligencia bolshaja --- Kultura-nichevo

Well written Polo

marcopolo
Groupie

Stimulus

Post by marcopolo »

Goombi wrote: That is very close , what is happening today in politics the Media-dirt and the parliaments member abuses and lies.and downgrading Joe Public and destroying his ambitions.. About and our young generation?? say no more-- just look at them and listen to them..
as the Russians say Inteligencia bolshaja --- Kultura-nichev Well written Polo

Thank you for those kind words. however, you can't let Joe Public off too lightly. It's true we get the plication's we deserve!

The entire culture is suffering from a deterioration of respect. I suppose we, the boomer generation are to blame, we wanted freedom, but at no cost. We sneered at the old traditions, and we threw the baby out with the bathwater. It's true that in the past society was too trusting and uncritical of leaders and institutions. However, in the 60's,in the confidence of self importance, we threw away the old values and replaced them with nothing worth wile.

Important issues like the environment, only briefly capture Joe Public's imagination. Joe public is distracted by superficial issues like a republic, or Prince Charles personal life! (Interestingly enough he was a sort of Greenie long before the term became fashionable).

Who knows? Maybe a generation raised on the Internet, will turn out wiser and develop a better sense of perspective? perhaps that's why the Rudd government wants desperately to censor the net?

But,remember he wouldn't try, without believing that Joe Public would applaud!

David Campbell was forced to resign as a Minister of Transport, because he visited a legal establishment. Channel 7, and the newspapers claimed this was improper since he drove a government car. Now, they know that is false, but in a series of 'investigative style', videos they have managed to convey the completely false impression of brave journalists uncovering public corruption!

Bah! Grubby, hypocritical muck-raking bastards. David Campbell committed no offence, certainly none that is anyone else's business!

I am not a supporter of David Campbell's government, but I fail to see how his private sexual proclivities are anything to do with his performance as a transport minister. Nor has the press established any connection with his duties.

I may not approve of his deception to his family, but I certainly wouldn't ask a Director for his resignation because I didn't like his sexual preferences!

If Joe Public wants better, more inspiring leadership, he should give more respect to the nations institutions. Dressing police to look like US police invading Afghanistan, only sensationalises and destroys respect for calm and dispassionate law enforcement.

Dismantle the nanny state, make Joe Public more involved in defending his freedoms and bearing responsibility for his own affairs. Joe Public should also be more responsible for the standard of the media. Demand better journalism, more tolerance and respect in public, rehabilitation not alienation and retribution for those who make mistakes.

We need more talented citizens to enter public life without the fear of becoming the target of a sensationalist press and abusive public.

Then we will get better leaders! Our examples for Civic duty, should be nations like Switzerland and Denmark, not the US, or Hollywood's version of the US!

Squiggles

Stimulus

Post by Squiggles »

Just to continue the theme, here is a new quote from our treasurer
"Sixteen of the 31 American Nobel Prize winners in economics and six of the past chairmen of the president's council of economic advisers have been researchers at the NBER."

Which is just more evidence of the all taught from the same book issue. Also the fact that the treasurer places such faith in economists is a frightening fact.
marcopolo
Groupie

Stimulus

Post by marcopolo »

Squiggles wrote: Just to continue the theme, here is a new quote from our treasurer."Sixteen of the 31 American Nobel Prize winners in economics and six of the past chairmen of the president's council of economic advisers have been researchers at the NBER." Which is just more evidence of the all taught from the same book issue. Also the fact that the treasurer places such faith in economists is a frightening fact.
Well, too be fair, Wayne Swan has been only had two jobs since gaining a BA in public administration (UQld). He was briefly a lecturer at a Technical College, then a politician. He probably feels he needs some one to advise him.

Wayne Swan has no qualification to be treasurer, what so ever. But then Costello was a lawyer, Keating an industrial relations advocate, Howard, a lawyer.

In fact the only really well credentialed Australian Treasurer, was the disastrous Dr J.F.Cairns! Jim Cairns held a Doctorate in Economics from Melb Uni!

So it seems we just pays our money, and takes our chance!

Mr. Mik
Groupie

Stimulus

Post by Mr. Mik »

Simon wrote:
antiscab wrote:
Matt

Yeah also there is a follow up to that documentary called Money as Debt II Promises Unleashed
Here it is on Youtube Money as Debt II Promises Unleashed

Great! Thanks for pointing them out! It seems to be a very clear and accurate description.

What a ludicrous system!
There is always a way if there is no other way!
Digger11
Groupie

Stimulus

Post by Digger11 »

But isn't the Motel owner $100 worse off as he did not effectively get paid by the hooker ???
Squiggles

Stimulus

Post by Squiggles »

Digger you're smarter than the average economist!!

Lets change the story just a little, assume the Hotel owner is Kevin Rudd and the hotel represents Australia, Let the traveller represent the international monetary system where governments borrow which lets the $100 represent an "Economic Stimulus Package". The last thing is for the prostitute to be the "Multinational" companies.

Now the real change in the story is that those multinationals take great shiploads of money out of Australia, we can represent that by the prostitute not paying the hotel owner......where does that leave us?

Up sh*t creek I would suggest.
juk
Groupie

Stimulus

Post by juk »

Except that Kevin Rudd is the prostitute, we know this because he's screwing us, he screwed the insulation deal, he screwed the schools development, he's trying to screw the hospitals, and he's currently rogering the mining sector with a falsie that he claims is only 17% whilst BHP know that it's 41% and he's trying to slip through a tax of 57%.

Then again, the prostitute is the height of capitalists, whilst it's quite clear that rudd is a communist. So perhaps Rudd is the client as he's definitely a cock-up.

Goombi

Stimulus

Post by Goombi »

Previous posting:
Posted: 21 May 2010 at 6:00am
Rudd..... Amen
------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you O'Lord for listening to me
Goombi

Stimulus

Post by Goombi »

Previous posting:
Posted: 21 May 2010 at 6:00am
Rudd..... Amen
------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you O'Lord for listening to me -----24/6/2010
EV2Go

Stimulus

Post by EV2Go »

Well now that KR has paved the way for the first female PM, I was just wondering... if Pauline can find an aussie buyer for her place, maybe she fancies a trip south... Goombi the grass is not always greener on the other side, careful what you pray for.
Last edited by EV2Go on Thu, 24 Jun 2010, 08:21, edited 1 time in total.
antiscab

Stimulus

Post by antiscab »

didn't they spend all of kevin07 keeping Julia well hidden?

interesting twist of events.

Matt
2023 BYD Atto 3 - 21k km
2017 Renault zoe - 147'000km
2012 Leaf - 101'000km - soon to be trialing a booster battery
2007 Vectrix - 197'000km (retired)
2007 Vectrix - 50k km